New and first time RV owner. Need help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scards

I own a 1990 Fleetwood Southwind Ford engine, and I'm having problems. I need help!

Welcome to the forum.
Hope this isn’t asking too much but can you give us a little bit of an idea of what you need help with?

My propane will not light or power any of my appliances. Here's what I've done so far.
* made sure turned nozzle to open
* made sure the switch for LPG above stove inside RV is on
* I've got a 1988 Atwood water heater that has no dials to turn up or down OR push down so I assume it's not manual ignition
* I've tried lighting the stoves pilot following ALL instructions AND the fridge as well. Nothing...

I live in Camas Washington so it's going to be cold soon and I need direction on this. Oh, and no money to have anything else repaired....

It sounds like you are out of propane or you are having trouble with the regulator.

The fact that your kitchen stove will not light kind of eliminates the hot water heater.

Check your propane tank.

a lot a units have a switch close to floor you need to turn it on and light on it with light up and start beeping.. after it stops beeping you should start with stove ref dot water tank. let us know if you find the remote propane switch. I'm sure you have one there some were.

From my experience and understanding of the system.
If propane is above 1/2 and still not working. The propane tank is followed by a control valve, which is usually connected to a gas detector unit inside the cabin. This should be a on off switch and usually located near the cabin flooring at feet level. The propane system is allowed to work only if this is witched on and ready(takes about 10 secs of beeping). After that, the air in the piping needs to be flushed by the propane coming out and it takes about a minute with 'a' burner opened and you closely smelling for gas and lighting every 10 secs for safety. This can take longer depending on colder conditions. Though propane does not freeze like butane, it does slow down.
If this works and 'a' burner lights up, light up all the other burners and let them run for 30-60 secs. This will get the propane running. After which, the refrigerator and water heater should work. Those systems have a continuous automatic ignition system like a home water heater and if listening carefully or standing outside near the exhaust outlets for the Fridge or the heater, you can hear the sound.
Propane generators are notorious for not starting without enough propane pressure and/or shutting down below 1/2 gas(1/4 during summers) tank to protect other systems.
So, process of elimination, would be to fill the propane tank and take it step by step. If still it is not working for the stove, then it is the valve not opening mostly because of not switching on. It is unlikely that it is damaged and only 10% chance that fuse is blown. Propane to the stove is straight forward and simple after the valve.
Good luck with the problem trace

Thank you, is this the switch you're referring to? Bcuz it looks broken but I'll try, but I turn the propane valve to "open" and then come inside the coach and make sure I turn that switch in the picture? Then go from there correct?

a lot a units have a switch close to floor you need to turn it on and light on it with light up and start beeping.. after it stops beeping you should start with stove ref dot water tank. let us know if you find the remote propane switch. I'm sure you have one there some were.
Please see pics below and comment

Bingo!! Now, If it was me, I would take a screw driver/flathead etc and open up that box. Then would inspect the switch and maybe even short the wires to switch it on. It wont shock me because it is only 12V. And then if my propane is working fine, I would consider changing the switch to a $6 slide switch. Because I do not not know if changing the switch make it work. I would rather test it work and then start buying.
I think this is it though. Maybe a sharp hard tool like a scribble or a large sewing needle can be used to flip the broken switch on. Maybe. Good Luck

Bingo!! Now, If it was me, I would take a screw driver/flathead etc and open up that box. Then would inspect the switch and maybe even short the wires to switch it on. It wont shock me because it is only 12V. And then if my propane is working fine, I would consider changing the switch to a $6 slide switch. Because I do not not know if changing the switch make it work. I would rather test it work and then start buying.
I think this is it though. Maybe a sharp hard tool like a scribble or a large sewing needle can be used to flip the broken switch on. Maybe. Good Luck
Respect ALL voltage. Don't go poking 12V power with a sewing needle or any other conductive tool.

Most propane detectors age out at 5 or 6 years of age anyway. Best to buy a new detector. New detectors do not hook to that shutoff valve(not legally required anymore)so you can just remove that valve from the system.

Respect ALL voltage. Don't go poking 12V power with a sewing needle or any other conductive tool.
LoL. Did not ask to poke the terminal. The flip switch is the picture looked like the stump remaining can be flipped ON.
Now about recpecting all voltages - Do you wear anti-shock gloves to change a battery in your TV remote?
12V is 12V!!
Mid road in Moab, AZ during July/August, I am not going to respect 12V. My sole mission would be to save my food in the fridge. Sorry for being blunt and I am not being dis-respectful. Its just brutal reality.

This safety system could have already been disabled, it would take a knowledgeable person to examine it and go forward with the diagnosis to get it right... The next thing the OP will state is the desire to live in it full time.!! At least Chino has mild winters.. ( Now Camas is another problem.)>>>Dan

Most propane detectors age out at 5 or 6 years of age anyway. Best to buy a new detector. New detectors do not hook to that shutoff valve(not legally required anymore)so you can just remove that valve from the system.
Thank you everyone, it was the LP DETECTOR!!, ive got all appliances running great now.

Back
Top Bottom