New and would greatly appreciate some input!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gaiana

Greetings, everyone! 

We have a 1996 Winnebago Adventurer 37 ft, Ford 460.  We have had it less than a month and are still learning all the ins and outs of it.  I just sold my house, so we're living in our RV and making a trip across the country! 

At the moment, we're experiencing a host of issues all at once.  We blew a tire up here on these lovely NE Ohio roads, so we're pretty much immobile until I can find a way to get that handled.  Otherwise, though, we're having issues with our hydraulic system (we think that's the cause) as pertains to our jacks and our slide out.  If someone can kindly direct us to where the hydraulic fluid reservoir is, I would be intensely grateful!  We've tried getting a mobile mechanic out here, but everyone is booked for at least a couple of days.  Furthermore, from talking to them, it doesn't seem like any of them are any more "in the know" about where this reservoir is located than we are! 

I must say that I love most of what I have experienced of RV living so far, but finding a mechanic seems to be the biggest challenge of all!  And the biggest frustration. 

Thank you for reading! 
~Gaiana

The hydraulic resevoir can be in different places on each model of RV. While my slide out resevoir is in the second bay on the curb side, above the compartment space, yours may be in a totally different area. Unless that mechanic/technician is familiar with your specific make, model and year rig, he'll have to look around to find it. It's like asking where the kitchen garbage can is, everyone puts it in a different place.

Tires are expendable items. As a general rule any rv tire over 7 years old is suspect and should be replaced regardless of how it looks or how much tread it has. You can tell how old yours are by looking at the code on the sidewall. Many websites will help you decode the week and year your tires were made. Just search for tire manufacture date code. None of us like buying 6 or 8 new tires but it may be time.

Ken

If you are mobile, there is an excellent service center in Cochranton, PA which is about 20 miles below Erie, and just off I-79.  That should be pretty close to you and NE Ohio.  If you can't move it, you might drive over there and talk to the service manager.  He is very good and will probably tell you what you need to know to get it running again.  Good people and reasonable for what they do.

Fame Mfg. -  329 Mill St, Saegertown, PA 16433
(814) 763-5645

Most large tire service facilities have a mobile unit to come and replace tires at your location.  Get the size of your tire from your rig and call them to see if they have a tire in your size in stock.  They most likely can come to you to replace the blown tire.  In the mean time read the DOT (manufacturing date) of the tires you have.  I'm thinking they are older than 6-7 years and all of them need to be replaced.  A blow out can cause a great deal of damage and expense.  Do not use retreads. 

Here is an article in our library that explains how to read the manufacturing code: 
http://www.rvforum.net/joomla/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=202:tire-manufacturing-date-codes&catid=27&Itemid=132

When looking for a mobile tech, look for one that is "certified".  They might not be able to tell you where the reservoir is located when talking to you via phone, but will recognize it when they see it.  Most likely you are low on fluid.

Unless you have paperwork verifying that the oil, belts and hoses have been replaced lately, you might want to take the motor home to a service facility and have all of that looked at before taking off cross country.

Marsha~

Thank you, Marsha, COMer and Bucks2!

I'll have a look at those tires in the morning and I'll see if I can find a tire place that will come to us.  I know at least one other tire is losing air, albeit slowly, so I'll replace that one as a matter of course.  I will look at the manufacture dates of the others and decide if we just have to spring for all of them.  I'll also look over the service records that we do have from the previous owners and see what has and hasn't been done.

I will also check out that service center once we're road worthy, COMer.  Thank you for the information! 

It's been quite the experience.  I shelled out a ton of money to the Camping World in Asheville for their safety inspection and several different diagnostics, none of which seem to have been accurate nor helped us at all. 

I do have both Good Sam and AAA-RV, if all else fails, but I'm trying not to have to use those before we even begin the big trip! 

Thanks again, everyone!  I really, really appreciate your help! 

The hydraulic pump, and I presume the hydraulic reservoir  is attached to, or close by the pump, " which is located beneath the right rear compartment just behind the LP gas tank and ahead of the spare tire" per the Winnebago Operators Manual for a 1996 Adventurer. http://winnebagoind.com/resources/manuals/pdfs/Operator1996/96Adventurer.pdf

What kind of issues are you having with the jacks and slides?

Hope this helps.

Paul

If you feel that you paid for diagnostics that were not done or done incorrectly, it might pay to contact CW with the details and ask for at least your money back.  And when they ignore you, send an e-mail to their CEO, Marcus Lemonis, who has shown an interest in making things right with his various organizations. 

Back
Top Bottom