New batteries off gassing-sulfur smell

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rebeccamarlena

Hello! I need help with a 1995 Carri-Lite 5th wheel with batteries, and also tied in to power. It’s very hot, yesterday got up to 114 degrees. This issue only occurs in the summer, happened last year too.
The batteries seem to be off-gassing, they produce an awful sulfur smell. They are brand new batteries. Like 3 days old.

The only important thing I have powered in the trailer is an internet modem for a satellite. So I have an extension cord coming from where the power line is, into the trailer and a voila, problem temporarily solved. I am looking for help diagnosing and navigating the long term solution. Because they are new batteries, I am thinking a converter, charger, some sort of wiring or other part issue.

Thank you!

Quick short answer.....
Sounds like the converter is overcharging. A volt meter can confirm that.
Meanwhile you could shut off the breaker to the converter until the problem is resolved.

Quick short answer.....
Sounds like the converter is overcharging. A volt meter can confirm that.
Meanwhile you could shut off the breaker to the converter until the problem is resolved.
Thank you!!! That’s what I think too
Stupid question, can I measure voltage as is? Or should I plug it back in and measure it?

You can measure both..
full charge - Unplugged - 12.6 volts
full charge - Plugged in - 13.6 - 14.4 volts depending on charger.

For new batteries to gas that hard takes a high level of charge voltage, upwards of 15V or more. Another factor could be temperature, as batteries get hot their terminal voltage goes down and if the charger doesn't compensate that might be contributing to the problem.

A specific gravity tester with built in thermometer will give you the internal battery temperature and a voltmeter will tell you the voltage that's being applied by the converter.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

1995... What converter do you have? Some of them are battery boilers and you just described a symptom

If you can not find the converter. And you have both fuses and breakers in a common area... What's the model of the power center.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Garwaldo
Back
Top Bottom