NEW Battery motorhome still doesnt start

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Make sure the shifter is in park. Move it in and out of park several times and try again. if nothing, try neutral.

Im not hearing the engine turn with the starter at all. No life but the lights and horn etc works on key on position
Typically lights and horn work in all vehicles w/o a key...
I've got a headache, so will await the third chapter (thread) of this never ending story.

Make sure the shifter is in park. Move it in and out of park several times and try again. if nothing, try neutral.

My wife one day went to move the car and it would not start.... You nailed it.

For the O/P. Not lights and horn but does the dash light up? Do "Accessories" like the dash HEVAC blower work?

I suspected that the house battery was changed not the engine battery. The symptoms were the same before and after the battery change. The OP has not responded back about where the battery was located that got changed out.

I'll ask the stupid question, no offense. How long have you had this unit? Are you new to RVs and just joined the forum? Which battery did you replace and where was it located in the RV?
Hey ive had the rv for about 2 months now. Yes i am new to rv and im trying to get familiar with this unit. I replaced the chassis battery and its located under the hood

With the P30 the starter is easy to access from under the coach so I'd try removing it and then use jumper cables from the battery to the starter terminals to see if it will spin. Have you checked the voltage from the battery to see what it is and then again while trying to operate the starter? If you have not done so, download a copy of the Chassis Service Manual as it should help you figure things out.
I will check voltage today on the battery im currently charging it

Hey guys just following up with an update. I went to the rv today removed the cover over the engine so that i can hear where any sounds come from when i try to start the engine. I notice when i turn the key i am now hearing what sounds like the starter wanting to turn. I recorded a video and i can see the gear or fan inside that turn but then stops. I cleaned the battery terminal and post at the battery, i tried tracing it to the starter but i will need to go underneath the rv to keep tracing and its currently raining where i am so i decided to wait. BUT i took the battery out so that it can have a full charge and i will attempt to start again later. Do you guys think the starter needs shaking to get it rolling ? Could it still possibly be the starter ?

Here is a video i recorded of my rv not starting but you can see what i was talking about turning

Still looks / sounds like a less than fully charged battery. I know it's new, but often that does not imply it's fully charged. Is it possible to go old school, connect jumper cables to a running cars' battery?

Check the coolant level in the radiator, is there some missing ?

While this does sound like a typical weak battery it also is EXACTLY what a partial hydro-lock sounds like.

Been there on a couple boats.

IF....you end up replacing the starter make sure to buy a HTGR type.

What was the scenario the last time you ran it ?
Rode it hard and put away wet, or ??

You can remove the starter and have it tested also.

Check the coolant level in the radiator, is there some missing ?

While this does sound like a typical weak battery it also is EXACTLY what a partial hydro-lock sounds like.

Been there on a couple boats.

IF....you end up replacing the starter make sure to buy a HTGR type.

What was the scenario the last time you ran it ?
Rode it hard and put away wet, or ??

You can remove the starter and have it tested also.
I will check the coolant for the radiator tonight. Thanks for the info. Last time i ran it was to get fuel and circle the block a few times. It was cold one night and i ran an electric blanket through the 12v until battery was completely dead , i believe thats what killed the other battery. But i just replaced it and it still wont start. But i also took the new battery out to charge. When i put it on the charger the charger said it was low so im hoping its a low charge at this point

Bobtop46 said:
I suspected that the house battery was changed not the engine battery. The symptoms were the same before and after the battery change. The OP has not responded back about where the battery was located that got changed out.

Very good point, if it is layed out like mine of similar vintage, both batteries are side by side across the frame rail in front of the radiator.
Could be easy to look and think that the larger one must be for the engine.

Update : after fully charging the battery i got her up and running ! Darn autozone selling batteries that are not fully charged ! But i seem to run across another problem now. As im driving she kept shutting off at IDLE. She would **** off as i came to a complete stop. I know that its not the battery because it would start right back up and stay on as long as i gave her gas. So now my question is ….. WHAT COULD THIS BE ? Its like she not fully warmed up or the choke is running really low. Also theres a hose under the hood that got knocked a little lose when i tried to put the cover back on maybe thats it ?

Never expect a new battery to be fully charged. They sit for months on a shelf. If you knocked a vacuum line off that's what causes it to die at idle.

I was hoping for a good excuse for a motorcycle ride.

But that's around 400 miles too far for me this time of year. I am willing to go farther in the summertime when the days are longer. But not to LV any time of year!

-Don- Reno, NV
Mannn. I would love a motorcycle ride through the mountains tight about now

Back
Top Bottom