New For APPLE users only!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh good, a useful feature improvement: slideshow speedup. Moving that to the background will halt a bunch of irritation.

Chet - Glad you are so enthusiastic about Graphic Converter, but it's far from new. I've been using for more than 10 years and have actually paid the shareware fee twice, once for the old OS 8/9 version and once for the OS X version. I especially like using it for reviewing pictures in the Browse mode, which provides some of the capabilities of Adobe Light Room and Apple Aperture. I prefer PhotoShop for editing photos, but Graphic Converter allows opening a picture by dragging the picture out of the browser window onto the Photoshop icon in the dock at the bottom of the screen. Graphic Converter also allows converting pictures from and to a very large number of file formats and will usually open damaged files that other applications won't touch.

Chet18013 said:
PC users need not apply.

Only the ten remaining Apple users can use it. But don't worry, PC users want nothing to do with Apple software. Too expensive, too buggy, too hard to use and too expensive. That is why the score is currently Windows 95% Apple 5%

seilerbird said:
Only the ten remaining Apple users can use it. But don't worry, PC users want nothing to do with Apple software. Too expensive, too buggy, too hard to use and too expensive. That is why the score is currently Windows 95% Apple 5%

Look at APPLE and MicroSoft stock for the last year and now tell me who's better.

Chet18013

The scoreboard shows 95% of the computers use Windows and 3% use Apple, it is no contest. Apple lost the OS wars twenty years ago. The price of stocks are meanless. Microsoft stocks split every few years, Apple rarely splits. End of story.

The scoreboard shows 95% of the computers use Windows and 3% use Apple, it is no contest.

Actually, I like the market split that way.  When a virus developer looks at the number of customers he can infect, Microsoft wins hands down.  Why spend time on a project to annoy only 3% of the population?

Robert, unfortunately, attacks on multi-platform technologies, like Java and Flash are not uncommon.  No OS is immune from attack, some are just better protected than others.  The biggest target of the hackers is the user.  All malware would be rendered moot if users would exercise common sense and take a few simple precautions.

There are a half a dozen anti virus makers for Mac. They are not immune by a long shot. I have ran Windows since version 2.1 in 1987 and I have used almost every OS Microsoft has made. I have never ran any form of anti-virus software or any type of malware protection and I have never had a virus, or any other form of malware and no hacker has ever gotten in my system. The secret is not downloading attachments, only surfing safe sites and not using CD-R or DVD-R discs burned on another computer. I hate anti-virus software, it costs money, dramatically slows down computers and it is nowhere near 100% effective. I never recommend anyone else surf without anti-virus but almost every true geek I know doesn't use anti-virus for the same reasons.

seilerbird said:
The scoreboard shows 95% of the computers use Windows and 3% use Apple, it is no contest. Apple lost the OS wars twenty years ago. The price of stocks are meanless. Microsoft stocks split every few years, Apple rarely splits. End of story.

Your data source is not up to date. See what Fortune Magazine says about APPLE HERE.

Chet18013

My data is correct. The figures in Fortune show that Apple sells 14% in BRICK AND MORTAR stores, not all computers. 95% of the desktop computers in the world are Windows machines. No matter how you distort the figures Apple lost the OS war 20 years ago. The lack of Apples popularity is shown in the fact you only had two replies from Apple users to your original post. The article also distorts things by bragging about Apples share of the over $1000 computer market. PC users are smart enough not to spend that much for a computer when a $500 machine is all you need. Windows PCs have about 99% of the under $1000 market but the article convienently leaves that statistic out. Clearly this article is written by an Apple Fanboy desperately trying to make it sound like Apple is making some kinda comeback.

I really believe that if it had been Jobs that left Apple instead of Wozniack Apple would be the leading home computer today.  When I first got to Tokyo I joined the Apple club since that is what I had.  By the time I left Japan there were mostly PC owners that had at one time owned Apples compared to Apple owners in the Apple compter club and most felt the same as I did. 

Pierat said:
It's just a personal choice. Don't you think either machine can pretty well accomplish what most folks want to do?

That's a fair assessment.  Actually I have both. We have 3 Apples and 4 PCs in our family. I started with a home built OSI in 1976 and then went to an APPLE II. From there, I got into the PC area with CP/M and then built my own PC's until 2002. I grew up with Windows from V 1.2 which was a poor copy of VisiWindows. In 2002 I sold my business and said I was done messing with Windows--did more installs and re installs of Windows than I can remember- and bought an APPLE. I have NEVER have to do a reinstall of OSx yet, and I'm on my 4th APPLE now.

I do keep an uptodate fully loaded PC laptop, just to run DeLorme TOPO7 while we travel. Otherwise I find that for my needs, the APPLE is better. Since  I've retired, I have amassed an 80,000 picture library of our travels and I find that the APPLE does a much better job for me.

There is no question, the APPLE is more costly. BUT it is indeed more stable and and my programs, mainly PhotoShop and LightRoom run better-for me- on the APPLE. Yes, I have the latest version of both the PC and APPLE iterations of these programs and have used them on both platforms.

As far as I'm concerned, APPLE share may be smaller that the PC share of market, but they sure do have a BETTER product for my needs. It always works!

End of discussion!

Chet18013

Back
Top Bottom