New guy with an odd problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

delmax

Hi,

I am confused.? I am looking at a 1998 Gulf Stream Catalina (class c) to purchase as a first RV.? When I went to find about insurance, one company told me they did not insure Ford Chassis vehicles, only GMC or Chevy.? Does anyone have any idea why this would be?? Were there problems with the Fords?? They insurance company just said it was "unacceptable".? I really don't want to put my family in an unsafe vehicle, but I can't find any info to back up their position.?

I look forward to becoming an active member of your community...once I can find an RV.

Never heard such a situation.  I think the agent doesn't like Fords.  I have a Ford MH and it
s insured with State Farm and has been for years as have the RVs we
ve had before.  Look for a decent agent.

I wonder if that was a holdover from the Explorer /Firestone tire fiasco?  Or maybe it was a GM insurance agent? GM owns some insurance companies and possibly they only insure GM vehicles.  At any rate, it is preposterous and obviously not a front line insurer all of whom are cheerfully insuring Fords of all kinds.

Make sure you are dealing with a company that has a specific motorhome insurance policy, one that recognises it is a house as well as a vehicle and provides coverages accordingly. Some of the big names in auto insurance do so and others do not.

Most fulltimers insure with an company that specializes in RVs. The one we use is Explorer RV Insurance

You can Google RV Insurance to find dozens, but here are a couple more:

RV America
Progressive RV Insurance

delmax said:
Hi,

I am confused.  I am looking at a 1998 Gulf Stream Catalina (class c) to purchase as a first RV.  When I went to find about insurance, one company told me they did not insure Ford Chassis vehicles, only GMC or Chevy.  Does anyone have any idea why this would be?  Were there problems with the Fords?  They insurance company just said it was "unacceptable".  I really don't want to put my family in an unsafe vehicle, but I can't find any info to back up their position. 

I look forward to becoming an active member of your community...once I can find an RV.

Interesting, Was the company GMAC perhaps (joking, well half joking)

It is possible the insurance company you contacted might well be a GM affilate, In fact, since you failed to mention Chrysler, I suspect it.

Call Aon or National Interstate.  Note not recommending them, but they should be willing to write an estimate for you

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davidomero
Back
Top Bottom