New Here

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rockb

Just starting to think about getting an RV.

Looking for models that will sleep myself, wife, and two sons, 17 and 21 (that will not share a pull out couch). Thinking something with either Queen + couch + drop down over the Driver/Passenger seat or something with 2 bunks in the back. Would like to stay under $50K and have 15K-20K miles of full time life left in it without major issues. I am good with regular maintenance and fixing basic stuff.

Plan for the rig would be to start off from Florida and work my way to New Mexico either towing 2 motorcycles or carrying them on front and rear racks. Then my youngest son and I would rid the bikes along the Continental Divide trail while my wife and oldest son stay on the pavement and we meet in the evenings. If that goes well explore northern states for a while and if we had fun doing the Continental Divide trail then work our way to one of the western jumping off points for the Trans America Trail (TAT) and repeat the Bike the back roads while wife stays on the pavement and work our way east along the TAT. Don't think we will be able to do this kind of trip ever again if we don't do it soon.

Sounds like you need a toy hauler 5th wheel. With two motorcycles, get a 3 axle to handle the weight. With a drivable unit, you will need a trailer for the bikes so no toad. Also, welcome to the forum. Good luck getting the right unit for your family.

What a fantastic trip! Good luck. I've been doing a lot of searching on https://www.rvtrader.com/ . Their filters make it easier to dig through selections. I start with it filtered to ones with floorplans. You can pop up each plan and narrow the potential models.

Would like to stay under $50K and have 15K-20K miles of full time life left in it without major issues. I am good with regular maintenance and fixing basic stuff.
I doubt that you will find a large motorhome of any type that has only 15-20k miles for as low as $50k. You also need to make sure that what you do get has the cargo capacity on each axle to carry everything you will put inside as well as a motorcycle and it's carrier on each end. I suspect that post #3 is probably right about what you need.

I doubt that you will find a large motorhome of any type that has only 15-20k miles for as low as $50k. You also need to make sure that what you do get has the cargo capacity on each axle to carry everything you will put inside as well as a motorcycle and it's carrier on each end. I suspect that post #3 is probably right about what you need.
"Would like to stay under $50K and have 15K-20K miles of full time life left in it without major issues."

Right, he said "left in it". To me that suggests a coach with maybe 50k-60k miles and thus a probably 20k more of relatively trouble-free chassis life. Maybe 100k miles if willing to countenance some additional chassis repairs. The house part is less mileage dependent and more about how it was used (or abused). Some owners manage to beat up furnishings and appliances even though not using it much.

Back
Top Bottom