New member looking for our first RV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ludvball

Hello!

We are a family of six. Four girls. Two of which are just out of college. My wife an I have been talking for years of getting an RV and just haven't been able to make the decision as to what type, how much we can afford......blah blah blah. Well, we finally decided to actively search for a Class A/C. We are looking for something a few years old due to budget constraints. We rented a 32ft Class C in early 2020. We thoroughly enjoyed it.

We are thinking that we would like to go with a Class A in the 30-33ft range, 2012-2017 if we can find one in our budget. I have not looked around the forum yet. I will as soon as I post this. I have so many questions, that I am sure can be answered by looking. I will start with a couple of simple ones.

Where is the best places to look for used RV's?
What are the things to look out for when shopping used?
What brands tend to be more reliable? I know this is a loaded question. It meant to be generally speaking.
Any spots on here that I should go to help get started?

Thanks for any advice!
Kevin

I suggest you start by checking out RV Trader for Class A RVs. It will give you an idea of what is available and the prices being asked. The biggest thing to look out for is water damage. When you settle on a Class A you like, have it inspected by a competent RV inspector. Other members will soon check in to offer additional advice.

Here's the web address for RV Trader: https://www.rvtrader.com/sell-rvs?c...1bhSlxEN1mjzn3id-fpNr4TP9R7fByWRoCm_kQAvD_BwE

Where is the best places to look for used RV's?

There is no one right answer here, though I will say when it comes to large dealerships that specialize used coaches there are several of those in Texas and in Florida.

What are the things to look out for when shopping used?
Condition, in particular are any signs of water penetration, if you see any run away as rot due to water penetration is often far more extensive than it first appears, and far more expensive to repair than you may think.

What brands tend to be more reliable? I know this is a loaded question. It meant to be generally speaking.

The RV industry is very competitive, and entry level budget coaches will be fairly comparable across brands, where you tend to find more distinction is in the non-budget/entry level models. While a few brands may have higher average initial build quality than others, most of that distinction will be covered up by how the coach was stored and maintained.

To put this another way, a premium level coach with full body paint, solid wood cabinet work, higher end plumbing fittings, etc. will tend to last longer than a lower end coach with vinyl graphics, particle board cabinets, and plastic plumbing fixtures if storage and maintenance are equal, that premium coach will also tend to have a higher initial sales price as well.

Any spots on here that I should go to help get started?

Read lots of past threads on this subject, ask questions, and don't loose sight of looking for the best tool for the job.

Look online first. RV Trader is a great place to start. Search for your needs such as price, sleeping capacity, etc.
Look at everything, even many outside of your needs and wants, you may discover new needs and wants…
Once you have an idea of what you want to buy, find a local RV dealer that is not a chain and doesn’t have the “office” in a construction trailer. Find a good, reputable private dealer.
Talk to a sales person and describe what you are looking for. If this sales associate does not sit down, ask questions, and seriously listen to you, move on.
We did this and waited a few months for “our” RV to show up on the salesman’s RADAR. He showed us probably 3 or 4 that we rejected, then he hit a home run with our current rig.

Another factor, not yet mentioned, is floor plan. Once other needs are met, be sure that the floor plan is something you can live with for quite a while. Sit in the coach, go through day to day living, that is, cooking, sleeping, eating, watching TV, reading/playing games as you might during a few rainy days, and such, and consider what feels good and what might be a bit of irritation. That irritation can grow worse, the longer you have to deal with it.

Keep in mind, too, that a class A that short may be extra cramped with six of you in it. And carefully check what you have for a load capacity, since some coaches may reach their max loaded weight with very little weight on board (including water, clothes, tools, everything you carry), while other may have a lot of load capacity.

My wife an I have been talking for years of getting an RV and just haven't been able to make the decision as to what type, how much we can afford......blah blah blah. Well, we finally decided to actively search for a Class A/C. We are looking for something a few years old due to budget constraints. We rented a 32ft Class C in early 2020. We thoroughly enjoyed it.
Water, water, water, water and water...

Do not compromise here. Zero tolerance for any kind of water leak.

Secondly most would agree that a Class A is a fine choice.

The next thing to look at is mileage and some sense of maintenance records on the engine and transmission systems. 4-5,000 miles a year is an actively used coach which can be a good thing.

The other gotcha is tire date codes. Tires time out at about 7 years regardless of tread wear. 6 RV tires can run up to $6,000 so keep that in mind.

Lifestyle - It's OK to "consider your kids when looking at floorplans and layouts but don't make any hard decisions thinking you are gonna be the partridge family all travelling around together - they are about to get very busy with their own lives - LOL...

Also I would rent again. RV life is most economical when you know you are going to commit to using it.

Let's say you bought a $50k class A. Generally you are gonna spend $300-$500 a month in maintenance, registration and insurance. So let's call that $6k a year.

$56k a year in vested in the S&P500 is gonna spin off about $5600 in earnings. That's a lot of cabin and motel rentals per year.

Call it 56 hotel days a year. With the RV you have not yet factored in the site rental of $30-$50 a night so another $2k to $3k there.

Not trying to scare you off. RV life is a really rewarding no matter how you plan to do it. Just wanna make sure you are aware.

Last edited:
Good advice already! We started a similar search about this time last year. Spend hours/days looking at listings on RVTrader.com. The specs tab at RVUSA.com is also very useful for finding floorplans you like. Also get inside as many different floorplans as you can, even if those aren't ones you'd consider. With 6 people, layout will be crucial for you. Storage, too.

Once you nail down what you want, expand your search and consider going out of area for the right unit. Before you buy, have it inspected by a good inspector: Locate - NRVIA

As you search, ask your questions here. Lots of knowledgeable folks will help you.

Thanks for all the great information. I will take some time to absorb this. I am sure I will have more questions. Time to continue the research.

It's OK to "consider your kids when looking at floorplans and layouts but don't make any hard decisions thinking you are gonna be the partridge family all travelling around together - they are about to get very busy with their own lives
Two daughters that just graduated from college will be gone with the wind before the end of the year.

Lifestyle - It's OK to "consider your kids when looking at floorplans and layouts but don't make any hard decisions thinking you are gonna be the partridge family all travelling around together - they are about to get very busy with their own lives - LOL...
It amazes me how may people think buying an RV, beach home, or cabin will attract grown children, friends, and relatives to visit more often. The reality is they come to visit you not your place.

It amazes me how may people think buying an RV, beach home, or cabin will attract grown children, friends, and relatives to visit more often. The reality is they come to visit you not your place.
The RV's I've owned and lived in were so I could get away from all that until I decided I wanted company.

Two daughters that just graduated from college will be gone with the wind before the end of the year.
Yeah, the oldest still likes to visit and travel with us. The 2nd one is hard to catch up with. She never was big on camping. We are more focused on my wife and I along with the two younger ones.

We camp with four people in a 37' Class A and it is a bit cramp. The couch makes a bed for two short people and the table-bed might work if you have small children. We only have one queen bedroom. We just look at one that had a queen bedroom and two bunk beds as well as the couch; but pricey.

Privacy is another issue in an RV.

As mentioned, cargo capacity is important, and you might be getting a toad for exploration wherever you go, so the weight of that is a factor in capacity. Then, if everyone involved isn't ok with clutter, you will want to have enough storage areas to accommodate every ones shoes, change or two of clothing, toiletries, jackets, etc. Of course if you happen to not be camping in larger towns, storing enough food for all is kind of handy too, though most places not in cities are within 30 miles of grocery stores.
Everything can be accomodated, usually thru creativity and planning, but make sure the RV has the potential to accommodate the little things.
I get the biggest kick out of the ads and RV show sales people that gleefully show you the rig and brag about sleeping capacity for 6 or so...and there is maybe one or two small closets and two or three drawers, with one big kitchen cabinet. Makes you wonder..who designs some of these things...lol.
You seem to be aware of the need to be thorough in your quest, and no doubt you will find the perfect RV for many years of fun RV camping. It is a nice community, and hope you join it soon!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lizwood71
Back
Top Bottom