The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

genenkay

Hi, I have tent camped on motorcycles for many years but now have a wussy wife and adopted 5 year old so I decided to move up to an RV. I was looking for a hybrid but got carried away on eBay and ended up with a '05 Forest River Grand Voyagor 280. Well, you know it's not really camping with the inside stand alone shower, microwave, AC and heater, TV, comfortable bed already made up etc.? Even my 5 year old knows that but you do what you have to do.

Anyway we made our maiden voyage last weekend having to drive over 400 miles to pick it up in Montgomery AL. We hitched up the trailer and added the equalizer but I brought the wrong size bit so I couldn't install the sway bar. The prior owner said it had propane but when we set up camp (after dark) in Prairrie Springs campground near Selma there was none and it was cold. The kindly gate keeper loaned us an electric heater and extra blankets. We bought an electric heater the next day not wanting to fill the tanks until we got home (we have 6000 gal. on the farm at farm prices) but it turned off warm and we didn't need heat (hot water would have been nice). We pulled into the Roosevelt State Park east of Jackson, MS (after dark too) and set up camp, started a fire and roasted weiners and march mellows for Carmen (the five year old) so we could really be camping.? :)? When we tried to warm beans in the microwave we discovered (after checking many other things) that the electricity at that site didn't work. We had been running on battery power. We moved the trailer to another site and all was well. We returned home to north LA the next day.

Hi genenkay and welcome to our forum. Congratulations on the trailer, but sorry to hear you had a few surprises. That's, of course, par for the course when it comes to RVs, new or used.

If the Grand Voyager is anything like our daughter's Forest River, you have a well made trailer.

Congratulations on the new rig and may you never have any problems greater than the few wrinkles of your homeward voyage.  8)

Keep in touch and let us know how you fare on future journeys.

Welcome to the RV Forum and congratulations on the trailer.  I'm sure you will have many enjoyable times in it.  Glad you found us.

When we tried to warm beans in the microwave we discovered (after checking many other things) that the electricity at that site didn't work. We had been running on battery power. We moved the trailer to another site and all was well.When we tried to warm beans in the microwave we discovered (after checking many other things) that the electricity at that site didn't work. We had been running on battery power. We moved the trailer to another site and all was well

RV supply stores sell small plugin AC voltmeters.? ? You have discovered why they do.? ?Campground 120VAC is a notoriously fickle commodity.? ?You plug the voltmeter in to a socket and just leave it there.? ?Check it every once in a while for low voltage conditions.? Could save yourself an airconditioning compressor some day.

Back
Top Bottom