The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cedsall

Hi,
My name is Carol.  My husband and I are trying to get aquainted in the rv community.  We are interested in buying a motorhome within the next 1 1/2 to two years.  We attended the rv show in Pittsburgh this past week and if we were to buy one today it would probably be a dutchman.  Would like your input.  We don't even know what questions to ask yet....

Hi Carol,

Welcome to the RV Forum.  Please ask any question you have as they come up.  I'm sure you get some valuable answers.  I guess the first decision will be whether ti get a gas or a diesel and whether to by new or used. 
We are glad you found us.

We don't even know what questions to ask yet....

May I suggest renting a unit for a week or two and taking a trip with it.    A bit of experience may not give you answers but it sure helps you frame the questions.

Carol,

What type of RV are you considering...a trailer, motorhome of fifth wheel?  What is the intended use of the RV...fulltime, occasional vacation, seasonal parking?  If you intend to travel, in what areas will you travel at what time of year?

We can provide opinions with more information on how you plan to use your equipment.  An RV is like a tool, which has to be chosen based on the job it is expected to perform.

Looking forward to learning more about your plans.  Enjoy the RV Forum!

To give your more background on our needs as far as an RV goes, we are not campers but sightseers.  There will probably just be the two of us (babyboomers 10 years from retirement) We already think a motorhome would fit for us because of less hassle in setting up etc. and we are concerned about pulling a trailer.  What we are most concerned about is what products are good basic makes.  What the extra expense of owning them is IE. insurance, upkeep and maintenance.  I'm sure we will learn more as we go as we are planning to rent this spring.  Thanks,

I have never been impressed by the Dutchman products. They are made for the low-priced market and it shows in the design and quality of materials & construction. I recommend you look at used coaches of other brands.  Buy a modest-priced used rig for your first coach and get some experience on your wants and needs, then consider a newer and/or more expensive rig that will have the size, floor plan and amenities that are important to YOUR lifestyle.  Renting at least a couple times before you buy any rig is an even better idea.

Odds are that your concept of what features are important, what is big enough, bathroom faclities, etc. etc. etc. will change dramatically after you get some experience.

To give your more background on our needs as far as an RV goes, we are not campers but sightseers.  There will probably just be the two of us (babyboomers 10 years from retirement) We already think a motorhome would fit for us because of less hassle in setting up etc. and we are concerned about pulling a trailer

Buy an RV and you are perforce a camper.  Admittedly one of the less roughing types, but nevertheless a camper inhabiting campgrounds.    Actually most of us find that an attractive part of the RV experience.

All forms of RV have their hassles both driving and setting up.  One of the hassles of motorhoming is the need for a towed transportation vehicle -- like the dingy of a yacht,  if you would, tho most of us call it a toad (from towed).    That creates a whole raft of issues itself -- go to the Towing and Towables section to see what I mean.

Again the best suggestion I can make is rent, go to RV campgrounds and chat up the folks around you about the RVs they have.  Nothing makes for conversation like shared interest in gadgets.  ;)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davidomero
Back
Top Bottom