New Mexico in winter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

memtiger

I am taking a several week trip in end of Dec. first week of Jan. and the family really wants to ski a couple days. Are there places to stay where it will be warm enough at night to stay and then maybe drive an hour or so to a ski slope for the day? I ask because I keep reading that elevation is really important in NM. We have done Jan camping in IN and OH before so cold is not a deal breaker but understand Rockies could be another level of cold. Feel free to tell me if I am just crazy to think about doing this.

Ski Apache comes to mind, since it's already located more southerly in the state and maybe there'd be someplace "warm enough" to travel to. Anyplace north - Taos, Angel Fire, et al are all pretty firmly in the colder elevations and you'd be in for quite a drive to find "warm" at night.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

I agree with Mark, perhaps Ruidoso or Sandia (above Albuquerque) might meet that IF they have enough snow when you go. Otherwise, the northern mountains are likely to be cold -- even Santa Fe (7,000 ft) is likely to be rather chilly a lot of the time, though there might be times when Santa Fe is warm enough for you and Taos might have enough snow (still more than an hour). Notice I said MIGHT, because conditions change a lot over the winter.

Even Southern New Mexico is pretty high up, and the desert can get damned cold at night in the winter months.

The most likely issue with Dec skiing in NM is snow conditions. Location wise, the most convenient is Albuquerque. Stay in the valley and ski the mountain via the tram. We also drive up to Santa Fe Ski area from Albu. While not warm in winter it is warm enough that a few precautions with the hose is all you need to take "generally". Severely cold weather happens in Albu but not for long. I have had frigid Thanksgivings and balmy x-masses. Average is mid twenties at night and mid forties in day. The drive up to Taos from Albu is about 3hrs but doable as an afternoon of skiing also.

PS: Ski Apache or Cloudcroft near Alamagordo is an option but very iffy for snow in Dec.

everyone here seems to be talking about snow conditions do these slopes not make snow like the smokies and midwest if there is not enough snow?

The most likely issue with Dec skiing in NM is snow conditions. Location wise, the most convenient is Albuquerque. Stay in the valley and ski the mountain via the tram. We also drive up to Santa Fe Ski area from Albu. While not warm in winter it is warm enough that a few precautions with the hose is all you need to take "generally". Severely cold weather happens in Albu but not for long. I have had frigid Thanksgivings and balmy x-masses. Average is mid twenties at night and mid forties in day. The drive up to Taos from Albu is about 3hrs but doable as an afternoon of skiing also.

PS: Ski Apache or Cloudcroft near Alamagordo is an option but very iffy for snow in Dec.
Yeah I don't want to go below high teens for lows. 20's would be fine.

everyone here seems to be talking about snow conditions do these slopes not make snow like the smokies and midwest if there is not enough snow?
It's more than just snow, it conditions for snow retention, as well. It's relatively expensive to make snow, and it takes a lot of water (scarce in many parts of NM), but it also has to be cold enough that the "made" snow doesn't melt right away and conditions can, especially on Sandia and Ruidoso, be rather balmy a lot of the time.

Note, too, that even in Colorado they don't make ALL of the snow -- it's just a supplement to the natural fall. And the TOP of the highest point on Sandia Mountain is about 10,600, with the slopes considerably below that, especially at the base, so it can be warm.

If you have a toad or fifth wheel I would suggest Phoenix Arizona area for the trip. The snow-bowl for skiing is about 2 hours away and they make snow. Phoenix is nice and warm in the winter LOok for places near I 17 even Flagstaff may suit your needs that is 45 minutes from the snowbowl and driving distance to the Grand Canyon for non skiing days

Location wise, the most convenient is Albuquerque. Stay in the valley and ski the mountain via the tram.
Agreed! If there is snow on Sandia crest, you can access the ski slopes by taking the tram from the city up to the top of the ski run. No driving on snow-covered roads required. That's how our daughter was able to ski all through high school, long before we would have let her drive to the ski area on the east side of Sandia mountain.

If you have a toad or fifth wheel I would suggest Phoenix Arizona area for the trip. The snow-bowl for skiing is about 2 hours away and they make snow. Phoenix is nice and warm in the winter LOok for places near I 17 even Flagstaff may suit your needs that is 45 minutes from the snowbowl and driving distance to the Grand Canyon for non skiing days

That would be great but due to only having 17 days for this trip Albuquerque is probably only as far we can go and have some downtime.

Another note: There are times (yes, in winter too) when Santa Fe or Taos can work as a place to stay without being too cold, and there are other times when there's no way. The conditions and weather vary a LOT from year to year, so there might be a VERY cold December followed by a mild, slightly cold December, though the warmer times are a bit less likely to have snow for skiing, so you might plan for one thing and encounter something different.

One other thing on the lows: It's not unusual to have most of a day be sunny with a high, say 35º, and a low of, say 0º, where an hour or two after sunrise it's into the low 20s and doesn't drop below that until after sunset, then gently drops to 15º at midnight, then creeps down to that 0º, repeating the next day. But there are large variations on that theme. My main point being that the temperature swings in the high country (Colorado, New Mexico, Wyoming, parts of Arizona, etc.) tend to be greater than the swings in more eastern parts of the country.

So a low of, say 0º, might be down there for a fraction of the time you'd see it in Indiana.

BUT, it's not ALWAYS that way, just be aware...

Another note: There are times (yes, in winter too) when Santa Fe or Taos can work as a place to stay without being too cold, and there are other times when there's no way. The conditions and weather vary a LOT from year to year, so there might be a VERY cold December followed by a mild, slightly cold December, though the warmer times are a bit less likely to have snow for skiing, so you might plan for one thing and encounter something different.

One other thing on the lows: It's not unusual to have most of a day be sunny with a high, say 35º, and a low of, say 0º, where an hour or two after sunrise it's into the low 20s and doesn't drop below that until after sunset, then gently drops to 15º at midnight, then creeps down to that 0º, repeating the next day. But there are large variations on that theme. My main point being that the temperature swings in the high country (Colorado, New Mexico, Wyoming, parts of Arizona, etc.) tend to be greater than the swings in more eastern parts of the country.

So a low of, say 0º, might be down there for a fraction of the time you'd see it in Indiana.

BUT, it's not ALWAYS that way, just be aware...
That is a great tidbit of information I was unaware of. Thx!

Actually, there are mountains near Las Vegas that have ski resorts. Not sure how reliable snow is there, but you can go down into the Las Vegas valley an hour or so away to get relatively warm that time of year.

So y'all want to ski and you want it warm?

Have you considered water skiing in Florida?
LOL! No I wasn't familiar with NM weather and didn't want to arrive to sub zero weather the entire trip. After this post and looking more online I think I will try a park close to skiing. Hoping to get great weather, for skiing that is.

Arizona has 2 downhill ski resorts. (3 with Mount Lemmon Ski Valley, near Tucson, AZ)

Arizona Snowbowl in Flagstaff, AZ

Sunrise Park Resort in Greer, AZ (My favorite)

Both have snow and runs that easily compete with Colorado but not the towns attached so must travel. They all have RV Parks within 1 hour or less.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davidomero
Back
Top Bottom