The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Larry N.

On the old forum software, going into a topic (now threads) each post that was new since your last visit was highlighted so that you could see at a glance how far down the list you needed to go to see them all. All I see in this new version is a bunch of pictures (avatars) and, though the time and date of each post is on the right side of the post, I now have to spend time looking at each one to see how far down I need to go. Is there a "New" label or other such that can show me that?

Clock on the Hamburger Menu (the 3 horizontal lines in the upper left corner) and select New Posts. This will give you a list of all the threads that are New to you.

When you open a thread in this list you'll go to the first unread message. If you open a thread via another list (other than the New Listing) you'll see a Jump To New box at the top of the first message if there are unread messages. This box will only appear if there are new (unread) messages in the thread.

Last edited:
On the old forum software, going into a topic (now threads) each post that was new since your last visit was highlighted so that you could see at a glance how far down the list you needed to go to see them all. All I see in this new version is a bunch of pictures (avatars) and, though the time and date of each post is on the right side of the post, I now have to spend time looking at each one to see how far down I need to go. Is there a "New" label or other such that can show me that?
Larry, on the left, just below the menu bar click on New Posts. Click any of the resulting threads and you'll be taken to the first unread message in that thread.

Larry, on the left, just below the menu bar click on New Posts. Click any of the resulting threads and you'll be taken to the first unread message in that thread.
OK, it works, but seems awkward. The old version (and other forums I'm on) have visual cues without having to choose a specific menu item for this purpose -- seems a backward step, to me. And seeing nothing on the left except a bunch of avatars (well, it seems that way) seems a continuation of the trend on the web and in paper magazines and elsewhere to go to a lot of (almost meaningless) pictures instead of visually distinct cues or words, not just for this particular function, but for all kinds of stuff.

However, since this is what we have I can deal with it, but it's awkward. Just food for thought for any developers that see this: Current trends aren't always better.

Thanks for the info everyone.

Clock on the Hamburger Menu (the 3 horizontal lines in the upper left corner) and select New Posts. This will give you a list of all the threads that are New to you.

There is no "Hamburger Menu" on my screen, but as Tom describes there is a "New Posts" button.

Now, how can I do a "quote" as we did on the old forum, without going to the specific quoted post and quoting from there. The red text above I had copied to the clipboard, then pasted, then I couldn't find a way to make it show as a quote.

===============
Another problem (for me): That "New Posts" button shows ALL new posts, not just those in the particular section I'm in (Motorhomes or Rallies, etc.), and when I'm in a particular section such as motorhomes I can't tell which posts I've read without going into each one. Sure, I can see a date/time on the right, but wow! it's awkward.

Maybe someday.

Last edited:
OK, it works, but seems awkward. The old version (and other forums I'm on) have visual cues without having to choose a specific menu item for this purpose -- seems a backward step, to me. And seeing nothing on the left except a bunch of avatars (well, it seems that way) seems a continuation of the trend on the web and in paper magazines and elsewhere to go to a lot of (almost meaningless) pictures instead of visually distinct cues or words, not just for this particular function, but for all kinds of stuff.

However, since this is what we have I can deal with it, but it's awkward. Just food for thought for any developers that see this: Current trends aren't always better.

Thanks for the info everyone.

There is no "Hamburger Menu" on my screen, but as Tom describes there is a "New Posts" button.

Now, how can I do a "quote" as we did on the old forum, without going to the specific quoted post and quoting from there. The red text above I had copied to the clipboard, then pasted, then I couldn't find a way to make it show as a quote.

===============
Another problem (for me): That "New Posts" button shows ALL new posts, not just those in the particular section I'm in (Motorhomes or Rallies, etc.), and when I'm in a particular section such as motorhomes I can't tell which posts I've read without going into each one. Sure, I can see a date/time on the right, but wow! it's awkward.

Maybe someday.
Aye Larry, things are a bit different and take some getting used to. The basic forum software comes with no frills (as did our old software), and we'll have some "add-ons" for additional features. But I don't currently know what they'll be.

I tried "Click to Expand" above and it shows okay but is there a way to unexpand?

ArdraF

I tried "Click to Expand" above and it shows okay but is there a way to unexpand?

ArdraF
Ardra, maybe there's a better way, but I just use the refresh/reload button in my browser (and the content collapses).

Last edited:
Congrats to the form admins on a successful upgrade. I know how much work that can be and how many things can go wrong.
And big congrats on joining the 21st century by finally supporting https! :)

For those who used the old forum's "View new messages since last visit" link:
Bookmark this URL: What's new to achieve the same result.

For those who used the old forum's "View new messages since last visit" link:
Bookmark this URL: What's new to achieve the same result.
I have yet to figure out this though. Say I don't want to read or look at every Thread. I have to click 'View More', then scroll to the top and mark 'View all Read'. Is there a way to simply click 'View all Read' any easier?

I have yet to figure out this though. Say I don't want to read or look at every Thread. I have to click 'View More', then scroll to the top and mark 'View all Read'. Is there a way to simply click 'View all Read' any easier?
The "What's New" link (or the button in the forum banner) will list the titles of any threads with new posts since your last visit to the forum.
If there's something in that list that I want to read, I "right click" on the thread name and "open link in new tab". That new tab positions me in the thread at the first post that I haven't seen yet.
When I'm done with that thread, I just close the tab and I'm right back at the list of unread threads.
On my first visit to the forum after the upgrade, "What's New" showed me EVERY thread since it didn't have any "last visit timestamp" markers from the old forum. But after that visit it set my "last visit timestamp" marker to, naturally, my last visit's timestamp, and I only see newly-updated threads since.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MoeHoward
Back
Top Bottom