New RV woes!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The Columbus 5th Wheel purchased for close to $80k is still beautiful inside and love living in it. It is now going on ten years. And the maintenance and repairs mirrors all the poor materials and workmanship listed here and many other sites.

Forrest River products in particular should avoided at all cost. Just because it is pretty and expensive does not mean it was quality manufactured.

In 10 year, I have spent close to $50k in repairs and maintenance.
Here is my list:
Interior woodwork falling apart
Cheap pleather furniture
Cracked holding gray water tanks
Burned out slide out motors
Two bent axles
Too many badly worn tires
Failed axle springs
Pin box broken welds
Multiple frame welds brokens
Cheap clear coating on bull nose front cap.
Cheap slide out extensions holding wires, cables, etc.
Decals that were cracked and faded after two years.
Nightmare wiring in under belly
Fridge with cheap plastic locking handles.

All these items have been remeddied. Cheaper than getting a no trade in and replacing with another cheap piece of crap!

Forrest River.

Other manufactures have similar problems. Price does not matter.
If you are buying, look at the attention to detail. If only one wood strip or cabinet is askewed. Walk away. What you cannot see is probably worst.

Did I say I still love 5th wheel RVing? I do!

The interesting thing is these are apparently made by Amish and Mennonite labourers….definitely expect better if that is the case. The dealer look at the completion date for my trailer and it was finished on a Saturday right before their workers went on holidays, at least this is what I was told. Apparently that don't work Sunday’s for religious reasons and they think it was slapped together before getting off work. Whether there is truth to this or not, I don’t know, but I do know I will not be taking this unit back. I simply don’t trust it all and I can’t accept bandaid solutions on a brand new purchase.
Would it be worth an upgrade to the Alpha Wolf or to the Northern Spirit?
What makes people think religion makes people better at building RV’s?

The Columbus 5th Wheel purchased for close to $80k is still beautiful inside and love living in it. It is now going on ten years. And the maintenance and repairs mirrors all the poor materials and workmanship listed here and many other sites.

Forrest River products in particular should avoided at all cost. Just because it is pretty and expensive does not mean it was quality manufactured.

In 10 year, I have spent close to $50k in repairs and maintenance.
Here is my list:
Interior woodwork falling apart
Cheap pleather furniture
Cracked holding gray water tanks
Burned out slide out motors
Two bent axles
Too many badly worn tires
Failed axle springs
Pin box broken welds
Multiple frame welds brokens
Cheap clear coating on bull nose front cap.
Cheap slide out extensions holding wires, cables, etc.
Decals that were cracked and faded after two years.
Nightmare wiring in under belly
Fridge with cheap plastic locking handles.

All these items have been remeddied. Cheaper than getting a no trade in and replacing with another cheap piece of crap!

Forrest River.

Other manufactures have similar problems. Price does not matter.
If you are buying, look at the attention to detail. If only one wood strip or cabinet is askewed. Walk away. What you cannot see is probably worst.

Did I say I still love 5th wheel RVing? I do!
Many things you listed are quite common.....unfortunately! We were considering we might like a 5th a bit bigger, in one that has the second small room. Went to a local dealer, they actually did not have one but we window shopped while we were there. We looked in 2-3 Columbia's. they were nice but we honestly were not at all impressed by the workmanship or overall quality. Just our opinion they were no where near the quality or our crossroads Cameo. There again, every TT, Class C or 5th wheels were basically junk!! They have to be light and it shows! Having said that about our CAMEO.....I've had all kinds of problems, all of which I have repair myself. If I had returned it to the dealership they would have undoubtedly had it over a yr. Bent axels you say?? I guarantee if every TT, 5th wheel out there was put on an axel machine....they should be bent and aligned. No manufacturer checks the alignment when they are built. They throw them in and send them on down the line.
Someone said what great luck they have had with their Keystone. Had I know we would have to go thru Keystone for warranty work on out Crossroads we never would have bought it! We've owned 2 Keystone TT's and keystone was the worst people I have ever worked with.!

My wife and I have used our TT (Dutchman 1900RB Aspen Trail) for the past 6 years. The only warranty issue we had was when the AC died. It took two trips to the dealership, to get it replaced and has worked ever since. I strongly suspect that the dealership did its due diligence in prepping it for me. They showed me how everything worked during the walk-thru.
It was also pre-covid.
Sometimes its just the luck of the draw..:unsure:

When I read threads like this one, it makes me wonder why any of the contributors are RV owners? Why would anyone want to keep buying products that they already know are just junk? :unsure:
You seldom see people raving about the good things that they have experienced with their RV - it's always the bitching you read about. If a person were to read nothing but reviews and not go out and do their own due diligence, no one would ever buy an RV of any kind.

I spent the better part of 5 years living full-time. First in a 1972 Winnebago Indian from 1993 to 1996, then in a 1976 Ideal TT from 1996 to 1998. Other than a few minor issues that were just more irritating than anything else, I had no problems with either 20-year-old unit. If Ideal were still in business, I'd look closely at them again.

When I read threads like this one, it makes me wonder why any of the contributors are RV owners? Why would anyone want to keep buying products that they already know are just junk? :unsure:
That one is rather easy to answer.... If you want to RV you have basically two choices.
The other is build it yourself (And yes I've met someone doing that)

I will say that during the warranty period Damon on my 2005 was nice to deal with.

Even doing one fix "unannounced" but they worked with me 100% on all repairs.
The only negative (Which also changed swiftly) was an authorized Workhorse service center who told me they could not get a replace fuel rail clip that to replace a recalled one in two weeks (A Chevy dealer the recall was on the CHEVY engine I suspect they had a couple dozen of those clips in stock) I went home.. made a phone call. had the part in hand by 6pm that night along with a copy of the business card of the person who handed it to me. Stuck the part into the card and 2 weeks later handed them in..... Got the recall done, an oil change and I strongly suspect a flag on my customer record.... A while later I had a brake light switch fail. They found only 8 of them nation wide and had one fed-exed overnight.. Yup my account was flagged.
The card.. The national customer service manager for Workhorse.

Sometimes.. It's who you call that counts.

You seldom see people raving about the good things that they have experienced with their RV - it's always the bitching you read about.
While that is true, it is also true that you can easily find threads that advise one to never buy an RV new on any RV forum. Having bought both new and used several times I also know that either can be great or terrible, mostly depending on the people in the RV. If you don't do proper research before you buy and maintenance after purchase, your probability of a good experience is low, whether buying new or used.
I spent the better part of 5 years living full-time.
We bought a new RV for the purpose of fulltime living about a year before we moved into it. We also moved from the house into the RV about 3 months before I retired and we hit the road. We were fulltime just short of 12 years and we owned that RV for 14 years, selling it to downsize once we returned to part-time.
The other is build it yourself (And yes I've met someone doing that)
Having twice helped a friend build an RV, one converting a school bus and one building on a flatbed trailer, I assure you that even that does not prevent a disaster if the owner fails to do the needed research. And maintenance is required with any RV to be happy in it long term.

Because they all are junk, if you want one it will be junk, some are worse than others! It’s the luck of the draw how bad a piece of junk it is, there’s no choice.

Just like anything else in life, every decision is basically a crap shoot. We have had great luck with our TT and that is mostly true of the other 5 RV owners we frequently camp with.

There were warranty issues, but those were taken care of and we are all generally happy with the choices we've made.

I don't think its fair to make a statement that all RV's are junk. I can say that mine was a great value and that I've been pleased with it since I bought it..

Clearly manufacturers offer warranties for a reason.

Safe travels and all the best.

Just like anything else in life, every decision is basically a crap shoot. We have had great luck with our TT and that is mostly true of the other 5 RV owners we frequently camp with.

There were warranty issues, but those were taken care of and we are all generally happy with the choices we've made.

I don't think its fair to make a statement that all RV's are junk. I can say that mine was a great value and that I've been pleased with it since I bought it..

Clearly manufacturers offer warranties for a reason.

Safe travels and all the best.
I have owned both a MH (Winnebago) and a TT. I had minimal issues with either.

Just like anything else in life, every decision is basically a crap shoot.
And like most things in life, you can improve your probability of satisfaction by doing research and taking advantage of available help from those who know more than you and getting qualified advice. I have owned 6 different RVs, 3 bought used and 3 bought new. None of them were junk but all were researched as well as the sellers before we bought.

You probably shouldn't buy any RV.

I doubt that anyone here knew that.
O'k seem you want to cut me up, No problem!!! The point WAS, smart mouth , at 18 yrs old the fact is everything has changed!! One thing of many being I believe most all RV's 18 yrs ago were wood frame...3 drops of water....rot!! nuff said! Which you would have seen if you had read my entire post. Also when I say they all are junk I'm saying the MUST be light weight. Consequently they are not built very strong with many strong durable features. So even the best deteriorate quickly with going down the highway. I know some here have owned more RV's than I have but I believe I have as much experience as most here, probably you included. 4 T.T's, 3 Class C's and now a 5th. wheel. a couple 6-7 yrs old, 2 new from the show room the remainder in between. Looked at dozens new and used, some lots better than others, none what I call top quality. Even fewer dealers that actually care about you after you buy and walk out the door. Like I said, the world has changed in 18 years! Research you say??? Research "Lippert frame problems", which Lippert frames are used in the majority of TT's and 5th wheels. Like I said....junk!

One thing of many being I believe most all RV's 18 yrs ago were wood frame..
Wood frames in RVs has been gone a lot longer than 18 years but it is true that most do have wood framework between the metal parts of the outside walls and pretty much all interior walls are wood frame. There is also still a lot of wood in the roof/ceiling structure and I agree that leaks are very destructive if not discovered and repaired promptly. Maintenance is vital for any RV to last very long and the lower the price & weight the more critical it typically is. Even so, I can't agree that all RVs are junk. I do not understand why you would waste your money to own one with that opinion.
I believe I have as much experience as most here, probably you included.
Perhaps you do. I have only owned RVs since we bought our first, little popup in 1974 and only lived in one for 12 years. We sold our last one last June. I have no idea what the average length of RV experience on these forums would be, but I'm quite sure that there are some with more experience than myself.

Sorry Kirk but I had a 2007 Coachman class C with the woodfrome….that was rotted out around the kitchen and both bedroom windows. Bought at Camping World, Ormond Beach, Fl in 2013 With 7,000 miles on it. And yes my friend (said somewhat sarcastically) it was a piece of junk!! Now I do not claim to be a mathematical genious but I believe that makes it 16 yrs old!!

Sorry Kirk but I had a 2007 Coachman class C with the woodfrome….that was rotted out around the kitchen and both bedroom windows. Bought at Camping World, Ormond Beach, Fl in 2013 With 7,000 miles on it. And yes my friend (said somewhat sarcastically) it was a piece of junk!! Now I do not claim to be a mathematical genious but I believe that makes it 16 yrs old!!
Kirk did say that there would still be wood pieces among the metal framing, e.g. around the windows, and I suspect that is what rotted in yours. According to the specs I found online, a 2007 Freelander had an aluminum wall frame.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Timjbodjb
Back
Top Bottom