New RVer’s from Rhode Island

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

G&P from RI

Hi All,

My name is George and my wife (Pauline), Yorkie (Dewey) and I just bought a new RV and it’s our first motor home. It has been quite a while since camping with our kids well over 20 years ago in a TT. We take delivery within the next couple of weeks and are very excited to get in the groove of RVing again. We are picking it up in the Orlando area and driving back to RI. I was wondering if anyone can make a recommendation for a RV GPS app that is as good as the Garmin RV 890, GPS Navigator for RVs? By the generosity of my sister in-law we took a two week run up to Arcadia in her 2009 Fleetwood Pulse and we used this unit to navigate the trip. Really handy!
I’m looking forward to making our new Thor Motor Coach ACE 27.2 travel worthy! If anyone has any suggestions for “MUST HAVES” besides dishes and pans, please feel free to send a note!

Also, I know that when we go to take delivery they are going to hit us up for all kinds of warranty's like- Extended Warranty, Eco-Pro Protection, Road Hazard & Tire Protection. Any advise here would be greatly appreciated. I believe dealers use these warranty’s as a way to pad the sale, maybe i’m wrong…

Thanks in advance!

G,P & D

Congrats on your purchase!

I've tried a couple of apps but didn't like them. I run google maps on a Samsung Galaxy Tablet.

All insurance is a for profit business. The only time you should buy insurance is if you can't cover the risk yourself. So I personally don't buy any extended warranties.

As far as what to pack, I tell people to make up two lists. The first list are things that you have to have no matter what. Like a can opener, silverware/dishes enough for maybe four people, basic hand tools, volt meter, duct tape etc.. You’ll get it.
The second list are things that would ne nice to possibly have. Do not pack the items on that list. There are Walmart’s all over if you really need something while traveling.

When doing the walk through, film everything the tech says about how everything works. Who’s going to do your warrantee work and there will be a lot of things that will need repair. This is very typical on new rv’s. If you can, spend a few days in the rig either at the dealership or a local campground before heading north and get them to fix everything you find.

I’ll be watching for you. We travel from NH to FL soon and will be going through Orlando on the 31st going to Lakeland where we spend the winter.

Good luck and safe travels. Enjoy.

As far as what to pack, I tell people to make up two lists. The first list are things that you have to have no matter what. Like a can opener, silverware/dishes enough for maybe four people, basic hand tools, volt meter, duct tape etc.. You’ll get it.
The second list are things that would ne nice to possibly have. Do not pack the items on that list. There are Walmart’s all over if you really need something while traveling.

When doing the walk through, film everything the tech says about how everything works. Who’s going to do your warrantee work and there will be a lot of things that will need repair. This is very typical on new rv’s. If you can, spend a few days in the rig either at the dealership or a local campground before heading north and get them to fix everything you find.

I’ll be watching for you. We travel from NH to FL soon and will be going through Orlando on the 31st going to Lakeland where we spend the winter.

Good luck and safe travels. Enjoy.
Thanks a bunch!

Congrats on your purchase!

I've tried a couple of apps but didn't like them. I run google maps on a Samsung Galaxy Tablet.

All insurance is a for profit business. The only time you should buy insurance is if you can't cover the risk yourself. So I personally don't buy any extended warranties.
I’m with you on that, Thanks

I say get an RV 770. I have one and also a RV 890.

The 890 is a pain to get points & routes loaded from Basecamp.
What is it about loading info to the 890 that is painful? I use Basecamp and a Dezl 770. I'm looking to get a unit I can transfer data to wirelessly (bluetooth).

What is it about loading info to the 890 that is painful? I use Basecamp and a Dezl 770. I'm looking to get a unit I can transfer data to wirelessly (bluetooth).
Lots of problems getting the computer to see it. Only seems to work, more or less, with Garmin branded 12” cable. I transferred my routes and it said it worked but only 2 of 20 actually show up.

I use an RV770 from Garmin also and run Basecamp on my laptop. I have been using Garmin GPS now for 20 years and really like them. I did do a brief foray into the Rand McNally and found that to be a mistake.

Before you buy any extended warranties, I suggest reading of this article about them to get you started on what to ask first. As to other of the dealer add on items, the thing that they do best is to make money for the dealer and a nice commission for the guy that writes you up for one. I don't believe that I have known anyone who really felt that they got what they paid for.

George,
As you are buying a new Thor, I suggest that you carry a good tool box and a list of all the Thor dealers along I-95. I do not know that you will need either, but it would be a good idea to carry these anyway.
You will also have to go around NYC on your way north. I am gone from that area (by choice) for a very long time. I hope you can find a native guide to advise you the best route.
Other than that, I wish you great times separated by hours of boring driving. (Sometimes, excitement is not welcome.)
Matt

I 2nd the RV770.

I have, and do not like the RV890. Too many issues.

Going north… I95 to I26 (north of Savanna) to Columbia to I77 to I81N to I80E to I287 across the (former Tapenzee) bridge to I95 and to RI.

Back
Top Bottom