New to forum

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JustGo

Hi Everyone,
Name is Bill an new to RVing. I'm a retired high school teacher and coach. I've been researching camper trailers for a couple months and like this forum a lot. Getting ready to buy a 7X12 all aluminum cargo trailer and converting it to a camper. Hope to continue learning and maybe contribute when I can.

7 x 12?  Sounds barely big enough for a bed, IMO.  I'm curious,is this because you want the challenge of building your own? Want something customized?  Or looking to save money?

Welcome and feel free to ask questions.

Actually a 7X12 for this type of trailer is very common and becoming more popular. The camper will be just for me, and maybe once a year with my wife, and want a small well constructed compact customized camper. Small kitchen, fresh water containers under sink counter with 12 volt pump. Small plastic container under sink counter for grey water. Compost toilet. Double size bed that stores in back up on the ceiling that pulls down to use and so on. Granted it's not a big, more like home trailer but because of the materials used, the solid construction and simplicity, problems are very few if any and they last forever. Some people buy the larger, say 30' cargo trailer and do the same thing of course with more amenities.
YouTube has tons of videos on this style camper. Type in Cargo Trailer Camper Conversions and you will see many different design ideas.
When finished my cost will be about the same as a 20-24 foot travel trailer you would buy at a dealer so it's not to save money. The difference is a much better build quality without all the upkeep and problems. Also extremely easy to tow with my half ton pick up.
Hope I answered both of your questions.

Thanks for the reply.  I guess the whole idea just seems daunting to me.  Be sure to let us know how it turns out.  Best wishes.

Sounds like you would love a teardrop camper, not to change your mind, but have you ever seen one?
https://www.ebay.com/bhp/teardrop-trailer

Pugapooh said:
Thanks for the reply.  I guess the whole idea just seems daunting to me.  Be sure to let us know how it turns out.  Best wishes.
[/quote

It is kinda daunting. I do have some home building background but have no experience in this. I'd like to find a company or someone who does this kind of work. I can't find anyone in my area here in NJ or the surrounding states. So I'm going to have to figure it out on my own.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GoldenOldie
Back
Top Bottom