New to RVing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

djsmiles

Hello:

My wife and I are just beginning our entry into the RV world (and therefore new to this site), and we have so many questions, I don't know where to start...the more I see, the more questions I seem to have. We have basically just started looking at the beginning of January, so we don't know what we don't know...and it can be overwhelming at times.  We don't currently have any RV, but I do not have a truck to haul anything, so we are considering a smaller used class a motorhome to learn the ropes and "get our feet wet" before upgrading to a larger class a motorhome in a few years when I will have more time to travel.  I'm 6'7" and don't fit in the driver's seat of the class c motorhomes (super class c are much better, but much more expensive).  Since we are looking at smaller used class A motorhomes, I have a couple of initial questions about where to start...

1. Being new to the RV industry, are there certain brands/models we should look for?  Smaller RV with a king sized bed due to my size would be preferred.
2. Since considering a used RV, I certainly don't want to purchase a repair/maintenance problem, so how old is too old?
3. The price ranges for these seem to be all over the board...how much should I expect to spend on a decent, used, smaller class a model that my wife and I can use over the next few years, primarily for weekend trips?
4. As

Thanks!  Any guidance would be greatly appreciated!

DJ 

Age and length will dictate purchase price.  You will find motor homes in general to be the most expensive RV type.  Cost of maintenance and repairs can also add a great deal to your expenses.  Way back when we made the mistake of buying a MH.  We only kept it for a little over a year and sold it.  We found a small 22 foot travel trailer much better suited our life and budget.  But thats up to you. 
You can find $10K motor homes that are basically worn out, but you might find a gem.  Search forms like craigslist, and dealers back lots for the stuff nobody else wants. Dont get in a hurry, and please remember what you spend is basically throw away money.  Remember also if your handy converting from a queen to king bed can be done.
Oh yea, and welcome to the forum.

1, Yes, some brands are going to be better than others, unfortunately there are very few choices in upper end smaller class A coaches out there.  The problem is the industry equates small class A with entry level, therefore almost all smaller class A coaches had lower quality fit and finish than their larger siblings.  Even considering this there are some that are built better than others, unfortunately though there is no real quick answer here, other than I will say that there are some features to keep your eyes out for that are clues about slightly better initial build quality.  Full body paint is better than vinyl graphics, fiberglass or Aluminum roofs are better than EPDM or TPO rubber roofs with some of the other membrane roofs being in between, fiberglass shower surrounds beat plastic surrounds (plastic gets brittle and cracks with age), real wood cabinet work held together with screws is better than particle board held together with staples.  Having said that condition goes a long way too, a well cared for entry level coach may be a better deal than an abused or neglected nicer model.

As to the king bed, be careful a lot of RV king beds are odd sizes and smaller than a home king, some are smaller than others.

2, This is a somewhat personal opinion, lots of components, particularly rubber components will age out regardless of amount of wear. This includes belts, hoses (radiator, fuel, flex brake lines), and various suspension and steering bushings.  Some last longer than others, but a number of them will start needing to be replaced at around the 10 year mark, this is a maintenance issue though, so there can be plenty of good 10, 12 , 15+ year old coaches that are in good shape if the seller has kept up with such maintenance.  RV appliances are much the same, with somewhere between 12-18 years being the typical life expectency for most RV appliances (refrigerator, roof top air conditioner, water heater, etc.).  Having said that my coach will be 20 years old later this year and the only major appliance that has failed was the refrigerator, which was replaced in 2014 by a previous owner (I bought the coach in 2016).  For me when I was shopping my personal max age cutoff points were based on the introduction of the 8.1L vortec gas engine in Workhorse chassis coaches (introduced in 2001), or the 6.8L in Ford F53 coaches, introduced I think in 2000.  Though honestly if I were to seriously consider a Ford chassis coach it would be newer than the 2006 redesign.

3, Prices are crazy right now with Covid camping fever going on, this is particularly true of good quality smaller class A coaches.  12 months ago I would have said that anything under about $15,000 is likely to be junk, with todays market I would tend to say the same, but be aware many coaches that were priced at $15,000 a year ago will be priced at 25,000+ now.  Though some private party sales may still be offered at pre-covid prices vs what the market will bear.  With luck this will be coming down some before you make a purchase.  I know that is open ended, but the problem is a question of what you are getting for your money.  Many people will pay big price premiums for newer model years of what may essentially be the same coach, just perhaps with a different paint swirl.

Whatever you consider my advice is to inspect, inspect, inspect, a 1 year old coach with a bit of poorly applied roof sealant that allowed a water leak, and subsequent water leak and hidden wood rot, may be a worse deal than a well maintained 10 year old coach.

p.s. before making any purchase run it by the forum as some specific models may have certain specific cause for concerns, ie brand XZY may have went out of business due to defective fiberglass side walls  that tend to fail even though they were a well built coach otherwise.

I was where you're at not long ago so here's my initial impressions.  RV's are a crappy house built on a delivery truck.  Some are built on better trucks than others but I don't believe that changes a lot in terms of reliability or repair costs.  Maintenance is constant, things break, and they're expensive to fix.  Once you get past that you can focus on the house side.  Floorplan is everything, pick one you really like inside.  They all pretty much use the same appliances and systems for the house so it's not like paying more will get you a fundamentally improved version until you get into the buses/coaches where the high end stuff is used.  So how the bed is situated, if you like a full bath or split, table and chairs vs dinette, couch vs recliners, kitchen appointments (pantry, countertop space), on and on. 

I'm all on board with you class A vs C.  The same length A will have more useable space inside than a C.  Plus an A will likely have more storage room and greater payload.  The few C's I've been in I always compare my A as better.  As far as the beds go what I've done even in my popup camper is make the bed longer by pushing the mattress off the end and putting a small cushion at the top of the bed that's as thick as the mattress.  Not far, just a foot or so.  Very comfy, nothing to buy or modify.  In the morning take the cushion out, slide the mattress back up and it's ready to go.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

Welcome to the Forum djsmiles. You've taken a good 1st step by coming here. Everyone here was once in your position, so we understand your questions.

Over the last 26 years, we've had a cab-over camper and three Class As, and I don't consider any of them to have been mistakes. We learned a lot about what we liked and didn't like in each of them, and that knowledge helped us choose our next RV. One of the things we learned, that really stuck in our minds was... if there's something you don't like about a particular RV, but you think you can live with it, it will bother you for as long as you own the RV.

My advice is to immerse yourself in RV the market to the degree you can, and become familiar with the different makes, models and prices. If you're looking at new RVs, leave your wallet at home, go to different RV dealerships and look at the different types, classes and models. Don't fall for any "special deal" offers. Trust me, they'll be available later. Pay close attention to their floorplans. In my opinion, floorplan is one of the most important considerations when shopping for an RV.

I recommend that you strongly consider buying a gently used RV. New RVs often have problems - both big and small problems. RVs that are one or two years old will often have most new-RV problems resolved. All the RVs we've ever had were one year old when we bought them, and that's been our experience.

I can tell you that king beds in "smaller" RVs are going to be hard to find, but you may be able to find one that can be modified to suit your needs. You're also going to find that the appliances in most RVs are all pretty common. Unless you insist on having either a gas or diesel engine, I wouldn't base my choice of motorhomes on what type of drive train it has. All recently built RVs have good quality drive trains that should operate troublefree for years if they're properly maintained. An RV's livability is far more important than its drivetrain (IMO). Since you're 6' 7" make sure you can slide the driver's seat back far enough to get comfortable. Don't compromise on that one - you'll be sorry. (Trust me)

Good luck with your search. Let us know if we can help.

Kev

King Bed?!  Heck, my 37' gas class A is approaching DP size and it's only got a queen.  I'm not sure they could get a king in here, even if they added the 2nd slide.

djsmiles said:
Hello:

My wife and I are just beginning our entry into the RV world (and therefore new to this site), and we have so many questions, I don't know where to start...the more I see, the more questions I seem to have. We have basically just started looking at the beginning of January, so we don't know what we don't know...and it can be overwhelming at times.  We don't currently have any RV, but I do not have a truck to haul anything, so we are considering a smaller used class a motorhome to learn the ropes and "get our feet wet" before upgrading to a larger class a motorhome in a few years when I will have more time to travel.  I'm 6'7" and don't fit in the driver's seat of the class c motorhomes (super class c are much better, but much more expensive).  Since we are looking at smaller used class A motorhomes, I have a couple of initial questions about where to start...

1. Being new to the RV industry, are there certain brands/models we should look for?  Smaller RV with a king sized bed due to my size would be preferred.
2. Since considering a used RV, I certainly don't want to purchase a repair/maintenance problem, so how old is too old?
3. The price ranges for these seem to be all over the board...how much should I expect to spend on a decent, used, smaller class a model that my wife and I can use over the next few years, primarily for weekend trips?
4. As

Thanks!  Any guidance would be greatly appreciated!

DJ

DJ - Welcome fellow tall guy!

My only comment on old/new is be prepared for maintenance both ways, old versus new. If you can be your own wrench and fix-it person, I'd highly encourage it. RV's in general are constructed to certain price points, and then they get hurled down the road. No matter the age of the RV, you'll always be looking after something.

In order to get grounded on pricing, models and "what's out there", I'd recommend to start cruising rvtrader.com. Look at old stuff, look at new stuff, look at stuff well above and well below your budget, just to get a sense.

The more reading you do, you'll find that a lot of Class A's are built on common chassis - Ford F53, Workhorse, General Motors P30, etc. Price starts to go up with chassis improvements like air suspensions, heavier duty chassis, heavier duty transmissions, diesel engines, etc. Beyond that it's about age, length, features/configuration, and the coach builder's level of quality and finishes--which can vary greatly.

I echo the sentiment to not ignore the used market even as someone new to RV'ing. Also, to be cautious about buying a "starter RV". I'd recommend you buy something you think you'll use for years to come, or, if you want to test the waters, consider a few trips in a rental first -- also a great way to try on some different styles of RV. The other thing about budget - only you know what you can spend - but be careful to consider all costs of owning an RV. The goal is fun trips and adventures. I'd rather have a much cheaper RV than I can afford versus feeling pinched or unable to take it out as much as I had wanted because reasons of cost.!!

I believe Alfa See RVs are designed for tall people.  I don't know anything about them - I recall hearing from someone else in the 6'7" range that they liked them.

Thank you to everyone for your comments...

Wanted to get your thoughts...found a 2001 Forest River Georgetown for sale online...only 32,000 miles. Age scares me. $15k. Seems fairly priced. Not located in my hometown.  Are there companies that will inspect for you? Any problems with this model/brand that we should be concerned about?  Thoughts? Suggestions?

It all comes down to condition and how it has been maintained, though at 20 years old, there will be a lot of components that will likely have aged out, basically anything made out of rubber, this include not only tires, which should be replaced about every 7 years regardless of amount of tread left, as well as various belts, suspension bushings, flexible brake hoses, possibly fuel lines, propane regulator, etc.  In addition to this various rv appliances have a typical life expectency of less than 20 years (roof air conditioners, water heater, refrigerator), my coach is a 2002 model and still has the original water heater and air conditioner, they are still working, but mine is probably the exception rather than the rule.

As to inspections check out the inspector locator at nrvia.org  I would be more inclined to hire an independent inspector than hire a company that has a number of inspectors they employee, as you never know the quality of the person doing the inspection.  You just see the slick looking report, that may have been written up by someone a thousand miles away.

p.s. mileage is a bit low, perhaps a sign that it has sat neglected for long periods of time at some point.

After 20 years it really doesn't matter who made it, it's old.  Rubber and plastic parts are headed south, which is everything from hoses to belts, seals, bushings to wire and connectors.  Why do you think it's $15K?  That doesn't mean it's a failure waiting to happen but it will need attention that many may not be willing to give it.  If you're "handy" and are willing to deal with a decomposing vehicle then this can actually be a worthwhile option.  Mine's not much ahead of that one and there are issues.  But it "runs" and any repairs have been far short of payments on anything newer, so it checks the box for me.  Decide what your goals are, what they're worth to you and how much sweat equity you'd invest.  Earlier I mentioned RV's are a crappy house on a delivery truck and as such there's not a lot there that can't be self-maintained if you're handy.  Mine won't win prettiest RV in the park but where I go, there's no one to notice.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

djsmiles said:
Thank you to everyone for your comments...

Wanted to get your thoughts...found a 2001 Forest River Georgetown for sale online...only 32,000 miles. Age scares me. $15k. Seems fairly priced. Not located in my hometown.  Are there companies that will inspect for you? Any problems with this model/brand that we should be concerned about?  Thoughts? Suggestions?

I did a Google search on inspections. I ended up using an outfit called ?lemon squad?.

After looking at numerous RVs, my wife and I found a 2002 Monaco Windsor diesel pusher that we are interested in for approximately $35,000 with a private seller. We've never done this before, so we have a few questions...

1. Do we have to prepare an Offer to Purchase Agreement or a Purchase and Sale Agreement? Similar to a house purchase?
2. Do I need to give the seller a deposit so we can get the RV and motor inspected? How much?
3. Where do I obtain financing for an RV? Local banks or online RV lending institutions?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

DJ

1, and 2 are fairly flexible, and can range from a word of mouth deal with standard bill of sale per DMV rules in the given state, to detailed contract, I suspect most are somewhere in between.

3, is going to be the challenge as most banks will not loan money on an RV over 12-15 years of age, though some people have luck with local credit unions, or use some other form of collateral for the loan.  I bought my coach using a short term (4 year) loan from a local bank when it was 14 years old, though this was with a local bank where I have a substantial relationship, and don't know if they would have offered financing for someone off the street.

djsmiles said:
After looking at numerous RVs, my wife and I found a 2002 Monaco Windsor diesel pusher that we are interested in for approximately $35,000 with a private seller. We've never done this before, so we have a few questions...

1. Do we have to prepare an Offer to Purchase Agreement or a Purchase and Sale Agreement? Similar to a house purchase?
2. Do I need to give the seller a deposit so we can get the RV and motor inspected? How much?
3. Where do I obtain financing for an RV? Local banks or online RV lending institutions?

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks!
DJ

That is certainly a nice step up from the "Since we are looking at smaller used class A motorhomes, I have a couple of initial questions about where to start..."  ;) The Monaco Windsor is a nice "better" quality coach.
Depending on condition that isn't that bad of a price. Just for reference I sold a 2003 Bounder 38N (diesel pusher) this last spring for $30,000 before all this got started. It did have some upgrades like new residential refrigerator new slide toppers and new shocks and the tires were 2 years old. Speaking of that learn how to read the date code on the sidewall of the tire. RV tiers are only good for 7 years from when they come out of the mold. That could be a expensive first purchase. If they are getting close to aging out you can use that in negotiating price.
Ok I did not do business with individuals. All were through dealers/dealerships.  When I bought my current 12 year old coach I used https://www.huntington.com/. They were good to work with and had the best interest rate.
Any questions just ask.
Bill

Since I'm 6'7, someone previously suggested that we look at an Alfa RV, as they have taller ceilings. Yesterday, my wife and I found a 2007 Alfa Gold diesel pusher that was beautiful inside, and had plenty of headroom. However, the outside looks as if it sat in the sun for extended periods of time, as everything is completely faded, and the paint has little "pits" all over it. Has anyone had any experience with this issue? Does this significantly decrease the value of the RV? I assume this is very costly to get repaired? Thoughts/suggestions? How to handle this in negotiating price with seller? We love the interior and everything else this RV offers, but the paint issue concerns us. Should we be overly concerned about this?

Thanks!

DJ

Back
Top Bottom