New to RVing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Issac

Hello, Sandy and I are new to the RVing world. We will be retiring in about 3 years. We are thinking of getting a Class C MH. We went to the Boston RV show last Sunday,1/22. We picked up a ton of info. There was not much info for towed vechles.
I was wondering what I would need to tow a Saturn?
Anyhow it is nice meeting you all. ::)

Issac said:
Hello, Sandy and I are new to the RVing world. We will be retiring in about 3 years. We are thinking of getting a Class C MH. We went to the Boston RV show last Sunday,1/22. We picked up a ton of info. There was not much info for towed vechles.
I was wondering what I would need to tow a Saturn?
Anyhow it is nice meeting you all. ::)

Welcome to the RV Forum.  There are a lot of Saturns being towed but with the later models not all are towable 4 wheels down like the earlier ones were.  We tow a Jeep GC and have had very good experience towing the Jeep 4WD GC.

Glad you found us.

As Ron says, you will need to be specific about which Saturn model you are discussing, since some newer ones are not towable "4 down" (all 4 wheels on the ground).  Towed vehicles are generically referred to as "toads" or "dinghys".

Generally what you need to tow a car/SUV/truck 4-down is a tow bar, a base plate on the vehicle, stop/tail/signal lights connected to the motorhome's system, and an auxiliary brake system of some sort.  Some toads will need modifications to permit towing without damaging their transmission internally, either a transmission lube pump or a driveline disconnect.

Tow bars come is several types and price ranges, but the most convenient type mounts on the motorhome (MH) and stays there, disconnecting at the toad end rather than uncoupling from the MH. The Blue Ox Aventa is an example - see http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/rv-hitches/tow-bars-blue-ox-aventa.htm
Naturally, this type of tow bar is also the most expensive as well.  Along with the tow bar you will need safety chains.

The base plate is an adapter that is unique to each toad and forms the attachment between the tow bar and the toad itself.

An auxiliary brake unit appplies the brakes on the toad when  the motorhome brakes. Aux brakes are legally required in nearly all states above a certain weight (typically 3000 lbs or so) but are morally required for any toad because they reduce the stopping distance substantially and that helps assure the safety of everybody on the road.  The "Brake Buddy" is a poplar system but there are several other good ones.

Lube pumps and driveline disconnects are made by a company named Remco towing, which produces towing kits for numerous vehicles that are not otherwise towable 4-down. Remco is also a reliable source of advice on which cars are towable without modfications and what mods will work on other types of vehicle.  Just call them for advice or visit their eb site -  www.remcotowing.com

Issac said:
Thanks for the great info.? ;D

You are welcome.  Please let us know how the shopping goes and what you end up getting.  By al means please feel free to ask more questions if any arise.

Back
Top Bottom