New to the forum.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

laramie lyle

Howdy,
My name is Lyle and I am new to your forum. I saw a post about 1/2 ton tow-able 5th wheel toy haulers. The reply was NO to the gentleman. He had a 1500 Silverado truck and wanted a 5th wheel. I have recently purchased a Ford F-150 Eco Boost 4x4 heavy duty, air bags on rear, with a 11,300 lb tow rating. I am interested in trading off my Stealth tonque tow toy hauler for a 5th wheel version of it. Axle weight 5701, hitch 2118, GVWR 12,278. What is your opinion on this?
Thanks,
Lyle

Hello Lyle,

I will leave the answer to that question to those more knowledgeable than I, but wanted to welcome you to the forum!

laramie lyle said:
Howdy,
My name is Lyle and I am new to your forum. I saw a post about 1/2 ton tow-able 5th wheel toy haulers. The reply was NO to the gentleman. He had a 1500 Silverado truck and wanted a 5th wheel. I have recently purchased a Ford F-150 Eco Boost 4x4 heavy duty, air bags on rear, with a 11,300 lb tow rating. I am interested in trading off my Stealth tonque tow toy hauler for a 5th wheel version of it. Axle weight 5701, hitch 2118, GVWR 12,278. What is your opinion on this?
Thanks,
Lyle

Welcome.
I would not tow it. The reason being if I ever got into a accident, the insurance company would see the rating of the truck and the weight of the trailer and it would not be nice. Trust me, they would do the math!
Now can the truck handle it? Probably, did the truck come with the air bags as OEM, just wondering?

You will find a huge amount of valueable information on this forum for stuff like this and much more. Goodluck!

laramie lyle said:
Howdy,

We like to limit trailer GVWRs to 90% of truck tow ratings.  This 10% discount allows for truck loads beyond fuel and a 154-lb driver such as passengers, gear, and hitch mechanisms.  Based on that, you should limit that F150 to trailer GVWRs of no more than 10,170 lbs.  Even without that discount, your prospective trailer's GVWR exceeds your tow rating by 978 lbs.

Moreover, you do not mention the rear axle weight rating of that F150.  That 5th wheel is going to dump 2118 lbs on your rear axle.  Will your RAWR handle that load?

You need a smaller trailer.

Back
Top Bottom