New to the RV world — lots of questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Houndmamas

Hey everyone....We are planning a trip cross-country from NY to CA this summer... Just bought an Intech Terra Oasis travel-trailer and have a ton of questions...First, is there a specific website that you folks would recommend to buy basic things to stock the inside of the trailer...I don’t quite get how to set things up on the counters and in the storage cabinets so that they won’t all topple over when we are driving 🥴🥴... I know this is probably RV‘g 101 but we have no clue about all this....Second, can someone give me some guidance on how to set up things so that we can use our laptops and the TV in the trailer to stream the news and an occasional movie....Thanks!!!

Hey everyone....We are planning a trip cross-country from NY to CA this summer... Just bought an Intech Terra Oasis travel-trailer and have a ton of questions...First, is there a specific website that you folks would recommend to buy basic things to stock the inside of the trailer...I don’t quite get how to set things up on the counters and in the storage cabinets so that they won’t all topple over when we are driving 🥴🥴... I know this is probably RV‘g 101 but we have no clue about all this....Second, can someone give me some guidance on how to set up things so that we can use our laptops and the TV in the trailer to stream the news and an occasional movie....Thanks!!!
Welcome Houndmamas. That Intech is a pretty slick looking trailer. A little retro/modern/neo something or so. Pretty cool though. Myself, I stock the trailer with a lot of good old Wal-Mart. We also like to visit Camping World and other places like that, though they tend to be a bit expensive. And finally, Amazon.

As far as keeping things where you put them while traveling, we haven't had much of a problem with this. We have a rear kitchen and all our stuff generally stays put. We have occasionally had some dishes re-arrange themselves on a particularly rough ride, but it doesn't really happen often. My take on this would be to get the trailer stocked, take it out and drive it around on some roads that have some issues, and see how the stuff does.

If you have any other questions, bring 'em on. There's a lot of experience on this forum. Someone will be able to help.

Good luck, and hope to see you down the road.

Welcome to this great forum where knowledge & wisdom abounds! Make sure to visit the different communities/sub-forums ie Trailers & Fifth wheels or Homemaking on the Road. Also use the search function to find threads related to your questions. I know others will jump in here with ideas that have worked for them.
I don't know what your level of experience is with RVing. My introduction was in a 5th wheel that we didn't know we were buying until we went to buy the truck. It was kinda a package deal in that now that we bought the truck were we interested in the 5th wheel that went with it. We said sure. Not having the experience, I make the mistake of overpacking. I didn't realize the cooking, sleeping, cleaning would be different. After a few trips, I minimized. I use bins to put items in so they don't slide. I pack the shelves so that there is not room for items to shift. Dishes that stack in each other is a space saver. The non-skid shelve liner is standard. The kitchen/container/storage departments in Bed Bath & Beyond, Target & some Walmart became my go-to. You-tube videos of remodels show how to use unexpected nooks & crannies. It would be helpful if you spent time in the TT, even if just in your driveway. Pack some groceries, your clothes, etc as if you were on a trip. Cook a few meals, sleep, watch tv and you'll discover what works & doesn't. Spend time in it until it feels like your home on wheels.
Congratulations and keep in touch here. It's fun to hear
about the travels & experiences on the road.

A good portion of what we have in the RV is either cast off from the S&B house (giving DW an excuse to 'upgrade' there...), wally world and thrift stores. You can find really nice stuff for not a lot of money at thrift stores sometimes. Because you don't need large sets of anything, the leftover few of a set of say dishes, glasses, flatware, etc works out perfect. The key thing I would say is what prnebs mentioned about packing too much. You don't need a service for eight, a dozen different cooking pots, six sets of linens, blankets, etc. No reason to have spares or extras of anything, really. A few plastic food storage containers serve multiple duties. Ziplock bags can be both food and item storage and take up very little space. Most anything you'd ever cook, stove or oven, can be done in an iron skillet. Even if you have lots of room for all sorts of "stuff" resist the tendency to fill those voids. Having lots of stuff you're not actually using does have an impact to function/stress in the RV. I came from a world of tent camping so traveling "light" comes easy for me, but even with an RV I tend to go with "keep it simple". The way I would approach it is to start with true essentials, then as you go you can add/change/rearrange as needed. Short of running out of food or essential medicine you can get by for a single trip without some gadget or staple, next time you'll have that covered and on you go. After half a dozen trips you'll have it down and working within that environment will be second nature.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

Last edited:
Like it’s been said, overpacking is real easy to do. I tell people to make a list of things you have to have and a list of things which would nice to have. That nice to have list, do not pack it, if you find you need it while on the road, buy it then.
In the summertime, I usually wear shorts all the time so my jeans stay in the RV all summer. If I need a pair to do like weed whacking, I’ll go get a pair, use them, wash them then put them back in the rv.

The other thing is if you have 2 of a item in your house and you need it then pack one of them. If it’s something you have to have and you only have one, go buy one now and pack it. The last thing you want to do is move a item back and forth beteeen trips.
Somethings like umbrella, socks, undies, rain jacket, sweatshirts etc. stay in the RV. When we get back from a trip, we wash much of our clothes and put them right back in at that time. We don’t have two wardrobes so that stuff gets moved back and forth.

Last edited:
Most stuff needs to go in cupboards--especially things like coffeepots and toasters, or you will have them all over the floor. I use a dishpan from Camping World and when I am ready to drive, the small counter stuff gets tossed in it.

Also, use bins and baskets inside cupboards, and small extension rods on refrigerator shelves help keep things from flying out when you open doors. Prefer clear plastic bins in cupboards so you can see what is in them. These work very well:
Amazon.com: SANNO Open Front Food Storage Bin for Kitchen Cabinet, Pantry, Shelf, Fridge Freezer - Organizer for for Kitchen Cabinets, Pantry, Closets, Bedrooms, Bathrooms 4 Pack White: Home & Kitchen
Amazon.com: mDesign Large Stackable Plastic Bathroom Storage Organizer Bin Basket with Wide Open Front - for Vanity Countertops, Cabinets, Closets, Under Sinks, Cosmetics, Bath, Soaps - Cube - Clear: Home & Kitchen

I even put maps in bins. Saves things getting mixed up while you drive and keeps things organized.

I have two cabinets that are only about 5" deep, so after getting tired of constantly picking up stuff when the doors flew open, I bought some picture rails and nailed them to the shelves so everything stays put. And just in case, take plastic things, not glass, so when stuff does fly around, it does not break.

Streaming is almost impossible, however, as you will be relying on campground internet, which is usually very weak. And a lot of campgrounds will shut you down if they find you streaming, even if the signal is strong. Even with two mobile hotspots, I don't have enough data each month to stream anything!! And with a cell phone, and three lines, I pay almost $200 per month for Verizon service. Best solution if you are doing a lot of traveling is to get a satellite and use that for TV, or be satisfied with your over-the-air TV.

Last edited:
oh PS, I try to pack the things I use the most towards the front of the cabinet/drawers/fridge.

And don't pack critical things, like the first-aid kit, in a place where you cannot get to them in an emergency--like a bottom drawer in your bedroom that is locked in by a closed slide. I know this from having cut my thumb badly and could not get to a band-aid because I had to hold a dishcloth on it to stop the bleeding. I managed to find an old band-aid in a kitchen drawer to put on it tightly to stop the bleeding.

And be prepared to misplace things. Living in an RV is like owning a purse with 50 pockets! Nothing is ever where you put it last. I have a rubber mallet somewhere....

And Rene has an excellent suggestion. Leave the basics inside your RV so you don't have to do a ton of packing and unpacking for every trip. That even goes for some clothing and certainly stuff like bedding and linens. Wash it at the end of a trip and put it back so you don't have to worry about it. We all have extra jeans, jackets, sweatshirts, etc that can stay in our rig. Makes life a lot easier. Ditto for tools and kitchen stuff.

In any case, have fun and learn a lot on your first couple of trips, just don't expect a lot from yourself.

Last edited:
There are a lot of confusing threads on how to get reliable Wifi and streaming in the RV. For you first foray you should get the "best" digital plan you can afford on your phone. Look for max data, max speed and no throttling. I have pretty much an unlimited plan from Verizon.

You can then make your phone a hotspot and log your devices into your phone. This will require a good cell signal which is not always there so download some netflix to your devices for backup. I have a smart tv so I can stream from my iPad if I have no other connection.

Campground WiFi will be hit or miss. Sometimes I can stream it and sometimes I can't. At rush hour (evenings) it's usually terrible.

In terms of setting up the RV for travel it's sort of learn as you go as to what works for you. I don't buy much "RV specific" stuff as it tends to be pricey but I have a few things. I pile loose counter stuff into the sinks. I also have a small plastic basket for dinnette items. Anything on the dinette gets chucked in the basket and the basket goes on the shower floor.

Some specific stuff I bought and like
1 - paper towel rack. Walmart "L" shaped mounted vertically.
2 - Collapsible dish drainer - squashes flat and goes in a cabinet
3 - Lowest "fork drawer" used for the "junk" drawer - batteries, tapes, sticky hooks and all that stuff in one drawer
4 - I bought stick on spice racks - a strip of flexible clips. The strip sticks to the stove backsplash and the clips hold the spices
5 - Buy "Correlle" type dishes and they won't chip or break. I don't do anything fancy with dish racks, dividers or anything. Just stack them in the cupboard and I have about 10k miles with no drama.
6 - Stackable pots and pans save space.
7 - I have a number of appliances but they are all "smaller" than I'd have in the house. Cuisinart hand held compact chopper/blender cup/whisk for example - The handy appliances to replace a full sized food processor. Single (20oz) kuerig/grounds coffee maker. Air fryer/toaster oven (replaces toaster), mini rice cooker.
8 - We have a "no glass" rule. Except for coffee cups and the blender. I finally decided I don't like coffee out of stainless cups and now that I liveaboard and not camp I have real mugs. I have cracked too many blenders to go with anything but glass.
9 - I have 2 or 3 "hanging" bags - these are designed for shoes and have 6 pockets. One is near the door for shoes but one is hanging on the shower and is useful for extra bits of this and that - hand towels, shampoos, shave cream etc.
10 - Not sure I still love this idea but I put a 3 item clip on the inside of the head door to hold the mop, broom and lobby type dust pan. It's a pain if these are under the jack sofa or somewhere else.
11 - Throw rugs - I bought a few throw rugs at Wally's - We were tracking all kinds of junk into the RV. The throw rugs catch a lot of dirt and before sweeping/mopping I just shake them outside.

I am sure there are a million ideas out there.

Oh! PS - I bought a motorcycle cargo net at Walmart. I am constantly cutting a bit of this netting and screwing it into the inside of cabinets. It's not beautiful but stops stuff sliding around. I went to the electrical aisle of Home Depot and bought a good supply of "coax clips" that screw mount. These are what I usually use to secure the netting. No need to drill the screw gun shoots them straight in.

Last edited:
Carry a corkscrew in your camper. Even if you don't drink wine, sooner or later a neighbor will ask to borrow it and you'll be a hero.

Carry a corkscrew in your camper. Even if you don't drink wine, sooner or later a neighbor will ask to borrow it and you'll be a hero.
Good advice. We actually bought one during our first year camp hosting, after several campers had asked to borrow one. Makes for 5 star reviews.

I don't drink much wine, but I have a son who lives in Napa. As an older woman traveling alone, I sometimes need help from a fellow camper with something I cannot do even with one of my wrenches or tools. So, I carry a couple bottles of special wine you cannot get from a grocery store to use for gifts to people who help me.

Last edited:
I don't drink much wine, but I have a son who lives in Napa. As an older woman traveling alone, I sometimes need help from a fellow camper with something I cannot get undone even with one of my wrenches or tools. So, I carry a couple bottles of special wine you cannot get from a grocery store to use for gifts to people who help me.
What a great way to say Thanks! Of course I'd think so, I drink wine. Hope our paths cross & we can help you sometime! (We'd do it anyway, without the wine:))

I have found fellow campers some of the best people around. I once caught my antenna in a tree in a grocery store parking lot, and it twisted so it could not be put down. I drove back to the campground and got several offers of help. One elderly man insisted I pull over, and he got his tall ladder out and removed it for me. I was disappointed that I was out of wine that day! (I had a satellite and really did not need it, so into the trash it went.) And another time, I had a couple notice I was coming outside only twice a day--once to put my awning up and once to put it away. (I was coughing a lot and had the flu.) We were 30 miles away from a town, but the couple offered to drive me to the doctor or get groceries for me. I already had been to both, but again, this very generous offer convinced me I needed to carry more wine around with me!

My most recent "help needed" event was when I had fallen off my electric bike and walked back to the campground with a bleeding foot and elbow and several large bruises. I was shaky so asked for help getting my very heavy bike on its rack. And I could tell several more stories like this, as I imagine many of the people on this forum could do as well.

My advice to new campers, especially new RV owners, who run into problems with their new-to-them RVs is to ask for help from neighbors who have a rig similar to theirs. I have tried to return such favors, but sometimes have problems with people not believing an elderly, short lady has any experience with things like stuck slides!! I did help one woman who had no power in her new motorhome. That was an easy one, as all I had to do was show her how to turn on the little battery/power switch on the control panel!

Newbie here too... Love the look of your new TT! Lots of great advice above, but here's what I've learned after our first week with the RV bringing it back to Chicago from Fort Myers, FL:
  • Bins... bins... bins... Any cabinet where items can slide around, throw them in a bin and you're all set.
  • Non-skid shelf liner works wonders as well
  • Looks like your unit may have an oven... Extra storage space!
  • Walmart is great for the basics like bins, etc.
  • Gas grill? Find the right hose to connect to on-board propane tank so that you don't burn through those little green bottles.
  • Some campgrounds do have cable tv hookups. From what I can tell, "full hookups" only means electric, water, and sewer though. We do have over-the-air HDTV antenna, which worked pretty well when we were near decent sized cities. Not a lot of channels, but anything was nice on rainy days.
  • Download movies / shows while you're at home so that you don't have to rely on campground internet speeds
  • Upgrade your data plan. We have 20 days left in our cycle and only 15% of data remaining. Ugh!
  • Leveling... make sure that you have what you need to level your TT.
Enjoy your new TT even if it's just for a weekend at a local campground! That's the best way to really know what you will need and not need for the cross-country trek.

Welcome Houndmamas. That Intech is a pretty slick looking trailer. A little retro/modern/neo something or so. Pretty cool though. Myself, I stock the trailer with a lot of good old Wal-Mart. We also like to visit Camping World and other places like that, though they tend to be a bit expensive. And finally, Amazon.

As far as keeping things where you put them while traveling, we haven't had much of a problem with this. We have a rear kitchen and all our stuff generally stays put. We have occasionally had some dishes re-arrange themselves on a particularly rough ride, but it doesn't really happen often. My take on this would be to get the trailer stocked, take it out and drive it around on some roads that have some issues, and see how the stuff does.

If you have any other questions, bring 'em on. There's a lot of experience on this forum. Someone will be able to help.

Good luck, and hope to see you down the road.
We have an older motor home and what does not fit in the cabinets or drawers, we put on the floor when we travel.

I don't drink much wine, but I have a son who lives in Napa. As an older woman traveling alone, I sometimes need help from a fellow camper with something I cannot do even with one of my wrenches or tools. So, I carry a couple bottles of special wine you cannot get from a grocery store to use for gifts to people who help me.
Good idea!

Hey kids, just read your posting and wanted to welcome you to this forum. We too are newbies but on the Left Coast from you guys. Will be traveling to KY soon for a good visit with our kids/grand daughter there in our new-to-us 2011 Winnebago View.

I definitely will remind myself of all these and copied notes to word to print out! Thanks everyone!!!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom