New to the site, looking at used diesel motorhomes.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Alaskansnowbirds said:
Ron,

The PDF in your link is from Illinois. Which state is your driver license from?

I live about 30 miles outside of Chicago, I have an IL driver's license.  I called and spoke with the local dealer who sells a lot of Renegades to guys who use them to haul trailers.  He tells me that California is the only state that does not have the Class I and Class II highway exemptions.  But he says that California has a specific exemption for motorhomes and trailers used for "racing" applications.

I think your dealer is just fitting the mold in that they will tell you whatever they think you want to hear.  Of course if you get caught or injured breaking the law the the dealer won't have to pay the tickets.  The ONLY way to get the facts for any given state is to contact the state in question or use a publication that provides accurate information.  Dealer information is not considered true and accurate information in most cases.

Ron said:
I think your dealer is just fitting the mold in that they will tell you whatever they think you want to hear.  Of course if you get caught or injured breaking the law the the dealer won't have to pay the tickets.  The ONLY way to get the facts for any given state is to contact the state in question or use a publication that provides accurate information.  Dealer information is not considered true and accurate information in most cases.

I hear ya Ron.  Dealers are notorious for doing anything to get the sale.  What is you guys opinion on that .pdf file from the IL DMV?  It looks like there is no length limits on Class I and Class II highways.  Am I reading that right?

There ARE limits which can vary from state to state and when traveling in any state you must comply with that states limits.  Weight and length limits are not covered under any reciprocal agreements only drivers license.  Remember it you are traveling in a state and are not within that states limits then you are in violation of their law.  While you may not get caught if you are involved in an accident you could very well be exposed to serious liability issues.

Ned said:
Illinois specifically excludes motorhomes from the CDL requirement.

True, but that PDF was for NON-CDL vehicles. Both in the PDF and the January issue of FMCA magazine show special licenses required for vehicles over 16K. Over 16K lbs you need a Class C license and over 26K lbs you need a class B license. These are NON-CDL licenses.

Did I read that right?  ???

Both in the PDF and the January issue of FMCA magazine show special licenses required for vehicles over 16K. Over 16K lbs you need a Class C license and over 26K lbs you need a class B license. These are NON-CDL licenses.

That's the way I read it too. And that is not an unusual set of regulations - several states have similar ones for larger vehicles, even private ones. Texas and Maryland come readily to mind.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davidomero
Back
Top Bottom