New vs Used Class A

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jayc2640

In a few years (4.5), my wife and I are planning to be come full timers.  We had decided on a new class A.  While checking out various websites, I started looking at the used Class A models.  The prices on some of these looked really good. 

I'm not particularly mechanical, but I can do the basics.  Should I be thinking new or used?  If used, how old is too old for an RV?

I would suggest that being a newbee to RVing you might want to lean towards used.  The reason being that the initial depreciation can be very substantial. If you should purchase new and then decide that MHing isn't for you, you will take a bath.  On the other had a pre-owned MH bought right, could be sold for something close to your investment.

Don't labor under the assumption that a new MH will be trouble free.  Review previous discussion here and you will find many instances where folks have had lots of problems with new MHs.  However, with a new rig there should not be any major replacements needed for a number of years. 

I would give another vote for used, while completely agreeing with geodrake I would recommend it for a slightly different reason.  The depreciation hurts a lot, but until you spend some time in one you really cant know what you really want.  I know that might sound a bit odd to a newcomer but it rings truer than true for most people who have been in one for a while.  We keep a list (a real written down list) of what we love and hate about our current rig, what we must have in the next one and what we would like to have.  While we had these lists for our initial purchase they were not as informed or detailed at that point. 

I'm sure you will be happy with either decision but I'd go used for at least a couple of years before looking at the new ones.

Jeff Brown

I agree with Jeff - go with a used one until you have some experience under your belt to help you choose the model & size that is best for you.  We've bought both new and used and for our last one we went back to a used coach, so I'm not just talking theoretical.

Used RVs are not as worn out as cars often are - people trade them for a variety of reasons and the used ones are often cream puffs. Sure, you have to shop around, but there are loads of them available and the used prices are excellent (the depreciation factor).

All great advice.  As George pointed out, new units are often times "less reliable" than used coaches.  It takes a year or so to work out all the bugs and get things working properly together.  But, a new unit is under warranty during that period so while it is annoying, it doesn't cost you much out of pocket.

Even though we purchased our current (and only) coach new, we bought an extended warranty to provide our newbie selves with a bit of peace of mind.  I've been glad we did.  It's also an option with a used coach and you can even use it during negotiations and maybe split the cost of an extended wty with the seller(?)

Good Luck,

rick

Orick said:
Even though we purchased our current (and only) coach new, we bought an extended warranty to provide our newbie selves with a bit of peace of mind.  I've been glad we did.  It's also an option with a used coach and you can even use it during negotiations and maybe split the cost of an extended wty with the seller(?)

We bought our current (and only) coach used, for the reasons stated previously, and also bought the extended warranty, for the reasons stated.

We feel sure we hedged our bets against not liking full time RV'ing (we love it), having big repairs (has not happened, yet), and not absorbing huge depreciation (although we certainly have had some).

We have had our share of this and that minor repairs, but the help given here in the forum has kept us out of the shop for all practical purposes. We have only had to spend a half day in the shop in the last six months of full timing (and that was to establish a service baseline), and we consider that pretty great!

You might want to consider not looking too far past five years because of the warranty issues, financing, insurance, etc. Shop, shop, shop!!!

Having fun in the process is very important !!!

Jayc.

You mite wont to rent before you buy.We rented a Class A 36' gas the first time, but it was to noisy up front, the next time we rented a 38' diesel pusher much quieter. We now know what we are going to buy.

Good luck.

Alan

skyking4ar2 said:
You might want to consider not looking too far past five years because of the warranty issues, financing, insurance, etc. Shop, shop, shop!!!

Not sure what you mean by this... as all those items (except for warranty) would be cheaper on older units, which could make them more attractive.

Another vote for used based on everything stated above.  We bought our rig well-used (but not abused) at about 13 years old, previously owned by a full-timer and then a family moving cross country (essentially full timers also) who only owned it for 1 year prior to our purchase.  They had Good Sam extended coverage which got the transmission rebuilt prior to my ownership.  I've bought new batteries, a couple tires, a power converter, and little maintenance/upgrade items here and there but otherwise haven't had any major issues in our 3.5 years of ownership.  The family togetherness and trips we've enjoyed (even with the inevitable speed bumps along the way) have been unmatched and I wouldn't trade RV-ing for any other pastime!  8)

scottydl said:
Not sure what you mean by this... as all those items (except for warranty) would be cheaper on older units, which could make them more attractive.

Financing, if required, gets really spotty after the first three years of a coach's life. Warranties also get harder to purchase with age, if they are even available. We were right on the cusp with our rig at four years old. Just one of the many decisions to be made and how much comfort you need with your decision. There's no single, right way to do it, obviously.

skyking4ar2 said:
Financing, if required, gets really spotty after the first three years of a coach's life.

Ah, that makes sense too.  We paid mostly cash for ours so it wasn't really an issue, although I did take out a small home equity loan for the remainder of the purchase, paid off within a year.  I disclosed to the bank what the loan was being used for, and they didn't blink an eye.

When you buy new you get a warranty  3 years 36,00 miles) with it and an extended warranty is a lot cheaper that getting an extended warranty with a used coach. With a used coach (2-5 years old with relatively low mileage- around 20 something thousand miles) the bugs usually have been worked out. If you buy used see if you can negotiate an extended warranty with the package and if possible have an inspection done by a reputable inspector prior to signing.

As noted above, new motorhome warranties are far inferior (in time and mileage covered) compared to new CAR warranties.  There is no comparison unfortunately, and you'll read a lot of stories of new RV's spending weeks/months in the shop for warranty service because parts are often not stocked and have to be backordered from manufacturers.  Then again, I'm sure many folks have no problems with their new RV's and never need service.  It's a gamble like anything, but an expensive one to eat all the depreciation for a new unit unless you KNOW you'll be keeping it for a looooong time.  Then the resale value becomes less of a factor.

The chassis on a diesel RV usually has 3/36k and the engine and tranny something like 5/100k. Gas RV chassis also have a decent warranty. The body is another story - rarely more than 12 months. Some RV appliances may have longer warranties, but they usually require expensive dealer maintenance to keep them in effect after the first year.

Good evening,

I also will be purchasing a class A motorhome in roughly 4 years. I have made the decision to purchase a used DP. more specifically, the 2010 Winnebago Tour 42AD. If you go to rvtrader and do a search specifically for class A motorhomes from 2006, you can get a feel for how much depreciation there really is in a motorhome. Not only that, you will see that folks are selling them with 6000 miles to 40000 to 50000 miles. However you can get a 4 year old MH with very few miles on it. Also, I would think more often than not, folks spending that kind of money on something also tend to do maintenance, at least I would hope so. I will be looking for paperwork when I go to purchase. Anyhow, I haven't purchased yet but thought I'd weigh in. 

I'm glad to see Im not the only one thinking ahead.

Rafael

Since I couldn't afford a new motorhome, I didn't get one. Even if I could I'm old enough and conservative enough to be wise enough to let someone else handle the depreciation.

The useful life of a diesel pusher is greater than a gas puller in my opinion.

Our first motorhome was the 78 GMC we purchased in 2007. We've spent money bringing it into the 21st century and have enjoyed the experience. We also learned much from the experience. Of course, with a classic GMC you can spend $20,000 above you purchase price on new stuff and still have a $20,000 motorhome. I suspect he same can be said of a DP over ten years of age.

I feel like we lucked out with the 97 Holiday Rambler. It has a Freightliner chassis - the heart of the motorhome. Since we were new owners we went to Camp Freightliner. It's two days of training at the factory in Gaffney, SC. It was well worth it. The coach has a CAT engine. Unfortunately Caterpillar has backed off the RV market and left it to Cummins. What I like about Freightliner is their service network in addition to using some good RV dealers. I have a choice and deem that a good thing.

So, you have options. Read RV Trader carefully. You'll learn a lot. Beware of the hype, however.

Hi forum

i am in the same situation,

i wil be 65 next year , and after talking with freinds and coach dealer

i am looking for 36 to 38 feets diesl rv

but i wonder how with no experience  is the difficulty of driving these rig

aince whe will be off from quebec, canada to south  of us for 2 months  trip in Jan and Feb at least

all advice are welcome

Michel andwife

Back
Top Bottom