New way to dial a telephone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This guy doesn't need an area code to communicate.

Attachments

• Alphorn_player.jpg
    Alphorn_player.jpg
    338.4 KB · Views: 3
One of the thigns that is a Gotcha
With cell phones my "LOCAL" area is the entire USA.
But there are places where if you call, using a land line, your across the street neighbor it's Long Distance. now with 7 (Anyone recall 5 or less digit dialing? I do) digit dial you had to dial the Area Code so you knew it was LD but with 10 digit... You might get an end of the month surprise. ,

I dumped the land line after I retired from the State before hitting the road full time. Went with a "Dry Line" at first (No dial tone just DSL) then dropped even that.

The 315 area code in central NY recently went through this - maybe 2 years ago. Can't remember what the new area code is (I've yet to come across a "new" phone #) but now we have to dial all 10 digits.

On the topic of rotary phones, Kim and I help with the high school musicals each year and about 5 years ago there was a musical set in the 1950's with a scene that required making a phone call. I think it took 3 weeks of rehearsals to get the kid to stop stabbing buttons and make a "dialing" motion!

now with 7 (Anyone recall 5 or less digit dialing? I do) digit dial you had to dial the Area Code so you knew it was LD but with 10 digit... You might get an end of the month surprise. ,

John, if you don't dial '1' before dialing the 10-digit code then it doesn't go long distance, IF you are on a landline. On a cell phone it does, but not on land lines -- you still have to dial '1' for long distance.

I have to dial 1 to call my next door neighbor. The 1 no longer has anything to do with long distance. In eastern MA, there used to only be 617. Now there are 4 area codes.

In 1960 we moved from a very rural location to a more populated area. That rural communiuty had party lines and operator assisted calling. Pick up the phone, dial 7 and tell the operator what number (or whom) you wanted and she made the connection. :cool: No one had any "secrets".

That rural communiuty had ... operator assisted calling. Pick up the phone, dial 7 and tell the operator what number (or whom) you wanted and she made the connection.
Funny you should say that Phil; When I play and sing songs like Jim Croche's Operator (That's Not The Way It feels), I can't help thinking that it would have zero meaning for today's kids.

LOL

the "1" is a country code. Most carriers program it in for you, assuming 1 if there is not something else dialed. Regaurdless, you can usually dial it.

I have to dial 1 to call my next door neighbor. The 1 no longer has anything to do with long distance. In eastern MA, there used to only be 617. Now there are 4 area codes.
That's curious. We don't have to dial '1' here in Colorado unless we're calling long distance, that is, out of our metro area.
the "1" is a country code.
New York must be different. Here in Colorado a '1' is required, ON A LANDLINE, for long distance. Cell phones don't require it. A "country code" has always been (unless a recent change) more than one digit, and often (maybe always) requires a '1' for long distance preceding the actual country code. And unless there's been a recent change, this is true across the country. I retired a few years ago from AT&T and some of my work involved dealing with dialed numbers and the routing of them.

Certainly things can change, but that's an awfully big one. So time for a web search -- back shortly.

This Wikipedia entry lists country codes, and they're all 3-digit codes: List of ISO 3166 country codes - Wikipedia

This link lists Area Codes in the U.S., which include a few countries but mostly the U.S.: Telephone Area Codes, sorted by Country and Location

A Verizon web page says the following:

To call direct to other foreign countries, dial:

011 + the country code + the city code + the local number

OK, enough web search.

At least speed dialing and programmable phones put us into one number calling.
Any one remember the "touch tone speed dialer"? Radio Shack, and maybe others, sold them. You could program the number into the cigarette pack sized unit, hold it to a phone receiver and play the touch tones to dial the number.

Rene you must be referring to back in the outback of NH since Florida has required in for at least a half dozen year, heck even up here in NS we have had to dial the area ode for several years.
I still remember the mother in law, and my mother yelling at people to get off the party line, nosy neighbours would always listen in!
We have developed quite a friendship with a fellow from Wisconsin who often dials his sister, but instead of using her area ode of 920, he dial mine of 902, the phone number is the same. When he has one too many and want to call her he misdials, he seems to be a great fellow and we chat for a bit when he calls.

Ed

Last edited:
Rene you must be referring to back in the outback of NH since Florida has required in for at least a half dozen years
I had no idea until I got that email from my provider. I guess I’ve lived a sheltered life up here in the country.

Last edited:
I can't even remember when we began 10 digit dialing in the
Chicago Metro area, but it has to be about 20 years ago.

BTW, when is the last time that you actually "dialed" a phone. Most of today's teens have never seen a phone with a dial, and probably don't even know where the term came from.

Joel
I took my brother and our boys flying about 2006. After the local flight we were at a fast food place with (amazingly) a pay phone inside.

I gave the older boy a quarter and asked him to call his mom and let everyone know we had landed and would be back at XX:00 o'clock. He came back and whispered in my brother's ear, who immediately broke out laughing.

It was a rotary phone and neither boy could figure out how to dial it.

Well not all is lost.

I showed the video to my 15 1/2 year grandson and right away he said something along the line of "Their stupid. You need to go all the way to the stop." Good to know he got my smarts. LOL

10 digit dialing is going into effect here in Western/Southern Tier of NY State in about another month. Makes me wonder though....If I go down to Mt. Airy, NC aka Mayberry, will I still have to ask Sarah to connect me to the fillin station or will I have to dial the 10 numbers there too? :ROFLMAO:

Back
Top Bottom