Newbie in need of experienced eyes...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ndbischoff34

Have been searching for some time to no avail (seemed to be one thing or another...), came across this nice couple who seem on the up and up... I've been told that the interior pic I've included came as a surprise to them (original owners, quite proud of saying the upkeep has always been done- and professionally). So this... They're empty nesters and rather than "go through the trouble" of diagnosis and possible repair, they'd rather cut the asking price by quite a bit. The pics are front bedroom in & out... She has said there feels like a little "give" to the wall in those spots. Should I move forward? Move on? Too much to take on? I'm looking for a full time residence for me and my svc. pup.
(2001 coachmen Catalina 25')
Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_20240404_223841.jpg
    IMG_20240404_223841.jpg
    203.4 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_20240404_223806.jpg
    IMG_20240404_223806.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 53
Greeting! Welcome to the RV Forum. Lots of friendly people and good advice. I'm sure several experienced RV Member will be along soon.

Greeting! Welcome to the RV Forum. Lots of friendly people and good advice. I'm sure several experienced RV Member will be along soon.me of the questions they will probably asked is whether you plan to travel with it or just park it.
One question you might be asked is whether you will traveling full-time or will you be parking it permanently.

Have been searching for some time to no avail (seemed to be one thing or another...), came across this nice couple who seem on the up and up... I've been told that the interior pic I've included came as a surprise to them (original owners, quite proud of saying the upkeep has always been done- and professionally). So this... They're empty nesters and rather than "go through the trouble" of diagnosis and possible repair, they'd rather cut the asking price by quite a bit. The pics are front bedroom in & out... She has said there feels like a little "give" to the wall in those spots. Should I move forward? Move on? Too much to take on? I'm looking for a full time residence for me and my svc. pup.
(2001 coachmen Catalina 25')
Thanks.
Depends on what they’re asking. Just make sure it’s not leaking now. If there is tend to it.

The pictures really don't tell enough to know what damage there may be or if there is any at all. Are there water stains inside to indicate that it has leaked? I think that you need to find someone who knows RVs to help you to determine if there is a problem. When you look at an RV that is 20+ years old, there is a lot more to consider than just what it looks like. What is the condition of the appliances? Do all of the appliances work as they should? Does any of the plumbing leak? What is the condition of the batteries and the converter? Does it have an inverter? How much repair and/or replacement of things are you able to do? That RV could be either a jewel or a disaster.

Can't see much in the photos and what I can see seems minor, but it's hard to tell what may be behind the skin. It's fairly common to have water penetration in that frontal area as a trailer ages, and usually the damage is modest. However, if the leaks are left unattended the interior framing can rot or mold can spread, possibly needing a complete rebuild. So there are two challenges here:
  1. Find the leak(s) and seal them up. Usually just a matter of caulking a seam
  2. Assess how much internal damage there may be (the hard part). Could be it's only cosmetic. If in doubt, you have to open up that front wall from the inside and see what the innards are like.
If you have some basic woodworking skills this is probably not a big deal, but if you have to use professional services it is both expensive and time consuming. RV shop labor is extremely expensive, with long lead times, and too often less than quality workmanship.

On the next one, thiungs like that are not much trouble to replace. All framing is normally 2x2 and most can be done without disturbing the metal outside. A Dremel to cut off screws is essential when replacing framing members. I have fixed about a half dozen wall problems in as many campers [mostly vintage ones]. Rebuilt the entire slideout on my current Aljo Scout.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sue2La
Back
Top Bottom