Newfoundland to Charlotte, NC

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BernieD

After Marlene and I leave the Spartan Homecoming rally late this week, we'll be heading north and then east to Halifax, NS to meet up with a group of Spartan owners to tour Nova Scotia and Newfoundland. Caravan ends in St. Johns, NF around July 20. From there, our general route is to the Wood Island ferry across to Prince Edward Island, time in Charlottetown, PEI and touring PEI, south to St. John, NS, then to our daughter's house in Chelmsford, MA, meet Chet and Larraine in Bangor, PA then drive with them down to NC for pre-rallies.

We would prefer off Interstate routings and preferably along the coast in Maine. Is US 1 a viable drive, any recommendations for sights to see and campgrounds to stop at? We have a 40.5' diesel pusher plus toad.

It has been a number of years since we drove US1 in Maine and we were not towing then. As I recall it was okay road, just a lot of traffic in some places.
We were unfortunate enough to hit Bath as the shipyard was letting out, so we sat in traffic there for quite awhile.

3 or 4 years ago we went from the outer banks of NC to New Hampshire with the Rv ( we have a 30 ft fifth wheel) and went up us 17 to i-295 into
New Jersey for a few miles and then off on the US highways. We ended up in Hamburg NJ near Sussex. From there we went on up into NY and
crossed the river on us 50. This was a crooked road until we crossed the river and then was okay. We went on to around Pittsfield MA and eventually got on
us2 and finally ended up at Mansfield NH. A lot of this wasn't near the coast as we had to veer west to avoid NYC.

Dave

BernieD said:
After Marlene and I leave the Spartan Homecoming rally late this week, we'll be heading north and then east to Halifax, NS to meet up with a group of Spartan owners to tour Nova Scotia and Newfoundland. Caravan ends in St. Johns, NF around July 20. From there, our general route is to the Wood Island ferry across to Prince Edward Island, time in Charlottetown, PEI and touring PEI, south to St. John, NS, then to our daughter's house in Chelmsford, MA, meet Chet and Larraine in Bangor, PA then drive with them down to NC for pre-rallies.

We would prefer off Interstate routings and preferably along the coast in Maine. Is US 1 a viable drive, any recommendations for sights to see and campgrounds to stop at? We have a 40.5' diesel pusher plus toad.

Bernie:

US 1 is a perfectly good road though very heavily traveled during tourist season. We have driven it from Lubec to Brunswick through some very picturesque coastal towns. I would probably leave 1 at Portland and get back on 95 unless there is a particular area you want to visit south of Portland.

I can suggest the following detours if you have the time:

1. At Ellsworth take route 3 to Bar Harbor

2. At Bucksport you could leave the m/h and drive down to Castine, a quaint historical seafaring town that is home to the Maine Maritime Academy, training school for generations of Maine seafarers.

3. Belfast, Camden, and Rockland are typical Maine coastal towns that you will find well worth the stop.

4. At Wiscasset Route 27 goes down to Boothbay Harbor, a more compact version of Bar harbor.

5. Of course you will be going by Freeport and LL Bean.

6. The Portland waterfront and Portland Public market are also worth the stop including jumping on a public ferry for a tour of Casco Bay.

6. A favorite stop of ours is to go out to Fort Williams State Park in South Portland to see Portland Head Lighthouse and then down to Cape Elizabeth for more Lighthouses.

From there you are a few miles from Bayleys Campground in Scarborough. Depending upon how much time you have there are good campgrounds we have used at Bar Harbor, Searsport, Camden (State park and Camden Hills RV Resort), Booth Bay, Freeport, and Scarborough.

Have fun.

Bernie,
Nancy & I workamped for two summers at Camden Hils RV Resort in Rockport/Camden. Love the area and recommend it highly.  Campgrounds are pricey though ($40+ in Camden/Rockport, $60+ in Bar Harbor).

If you stop at Camden Hils Rv Resort, ask for a 50A site so you get in the new section of the park - i's very nice. Free wifi too. All the current workampers are new there, but if you see the owners (John & Lori Alexander) mention you are friends of ours.

Back
Top Bottom