No 110 at outlet

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

matzb

My 2018 Thor Quantum has three 110 outlets. Two of them are working and the third does not. As of yesterday all three were working. No sign of a short at the outlet. Whats up?

My 2018 Thor Quantum has three 110 outlets. Two of them are working and the third does not. As of yesterday all three were working. No sign of a short at the outlet. Whats up?
Is one in the bathroom?

No sign of a short at the outlet. Whats up?
I'm not quite sure what you are telling us? What would you expect to be shorted and how might that affect the outlet? My electric repair experience tells me that an open circuit would be far more likely to cause the problem that you have. In most RVs the outlets are all on one circuit and are all in parallel. The connection method is often called daisy-chaining them.
1714838487263.png
When connected in this way, if one connection on the center outlet is loose or open, that would prevent power from reaching the last on to the right side. In RVs it is also common to use the "push in" type of outlet connections and those are quite common to get loose and make poor connections. If you will get your voltmeter it is very easy to trace it back to the problem.

1714838800718.png

I would start with investigating the fuse panel.
The fuses in an RV are for the 12V direct current circuits while the circuit breakers are for the 120V alternating current circuits. With only 1 bad outlet in a group of 3 it is highly unlikely that each outlet has a separate circuit breaker. All of them that I have seen would have all 3 outlets supplied by a single circuit breaker.

Intermittent power to a 120v outlet is often explained as Kirk described - a loose wire connection in a parallel circuit. However, I can think of one other possibility: load shedding. Many RVs have an "energy manager" that monitors the amp load and will remove power from selected circuits to prevent going over 30A. A utility outlet would not normally be managed that way, but that outlet may share a circuit with an appliance that is managed. If you have a remote display that looks like the one described here, that's a possibility.

With the cheap type of outlets that are used in RV's follow Kirk's advice. I'll bet you find a broken or disconnected wire in #2 or the problem one.

I have found the outlets in RV's are often not the "Stab" type but the "Punch down" (uni box) you can tell them from "Stab" because both Stab and Screw (The good kind) have a screw in the center of the covert but the Uni-box types have two screws one in a top corner and the other on the other side bottom corner.. . My opinion of those Uni-box outlets is not something I care to type (Very bad is as close as I will get) They tend to melt under high load (more than 10 amps)

The fuses in an RV are for the 12V direct current circuits while the circuit breakers are for the 120V alternating current circuits. With only 1 bad outlet in a group of 3 it is highly unlikely that each outlet has a separate circuit breaker. All of them that I have seen would have all 3 outlets supplied by a single circuit breaker.
Well, I have three separate AC 120v outlet circuits, each on a separate breaker. And those breakers are on a central panel. Perhaps I misspoke using the term "fuse panel" when I should have said "Breaker panel." Sorry
All of my circuitry connects in the same cabinet central to the RV -
AC panel, and DC panel.

Well, I have three separate AC 120v outlet circuits, each on a separate breaker. And those breakers are on a central panel. Perhaps I misspoke using the term "fuse panel" when I should have said "Breaker panel." Sorry
All of my circuitry connects in the same cabinet central to the RV -
AC panel, and DC panel.
Please list what each receptacle is near. Do you have a microwave oven, it will be plugged into a 120VAC receptacle, which of the 3 is it plugged into. The microwave is the only 120V circuit I've seen that has only one receptacle in the circuit.
Use a non-contact voltage tester to help trace live wires and locate the dead spot.

1714883615472.png

This is NOT a typical RV receptacle! It is also a "split" receptacle, one that uses two circuit breakers to protect it.
Anyone else notice it does NOT even have a ground wire connected?

Well, I have three separate AC 120v outlet circuits, each on a separate breaker.
That is certainly possible, however matzb said 3 outlets and I replied based on that information. I have found that most 50A RVs have 2 separate circuits for outlets but I don't recall having seen one with 3, except for the circuit for the microwave, which usually does have a separate circuit breaker and is actually an outlet.

View attachment 172815

This is NOT a typical RV receptacle! It is also a "split" receptacle, one that uses two circuit breakers to protect it.
Anyone else notice it does NOT even have a ground wire connected?
A separate ground wire to the outlet was not used if the box itself is grounded, either by a ground wire or the metallic shielding on the BX-type electrical cable. Common in buildings wired before about 1955.

It would appear that we have been wasting our time trying to help as matzb has not been back since he made the post. Hopefully he will come back update us on where things stand.

A separate ground wire to the outlet was not used if the box itself is grounded, either by a ground wire or the metallic shielding on the BX-type electrical cable. Common in buildings wired before about 1955.
Ah yes, you are so right, even looks like plaster walls. Until the OP shows up, I will still carry on off-topic with the receptacle is a newer style (post 1955) with the back push-in wiring. But later I was trying to figure why there are two neutrals... with one 'black' & 'red' hot and that is where I thought it was a split, just odd looking!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fth
Back
Top Bottom