Noisy A/C in Micro Minnie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SUZYQT

Summer camping in Florida is very hot.  Using the air conditioner at night is not good.  It is so noisy it keeps us up at night.  This is a very small 17' trailer with an oversized A/C unit.  Is there a way to modify the A/C to run at a slower speed?  Will I have to replace it to get what I want? :-\

For what it's worth... ours is a ducted system and the three A/C units on our 42QD are darn noisy when they're running - especially on high. They're very effective and will cool the coach very quickly, even when the interior temp is in the upper 90's, but you're going to hear it! I've never heard a quiet A/C system in an RV - even upper end units.

Kev

Some of the newer roof air units are reported to howl, screech and sound like you are behind a turbine engine - heard this two GNR's ago.  RVP (I think it was RVP?) re-designed the blower part (the squirrel cage) to reduce the obnoxious noise but what I heard it was only somewhat effective.

Not familiar with your abbreviations.  Can you give me more info on RVP? so I can investigate further.  Any electricians out there know anything about modifying the air blower?  I think ours is a Dometic.  Not sure of the model number.

A/C is 13500 BTUs.  Obviously too big for such a small space.

SUZYQT said:
Not familiar with your abbreviations.  Can you give me more info on RVP? so I can investigate further.  Any electricians out there know anything about modifying the air blower?  I think ours is a Dometic.  Not sure of the model number.
RVP is Recreational Vehicle Products which was bought by Airxcel.  Winnebago uses RVP and Dometic air conditioners.  If you can look for the name plate on your A/Cto find a model number it might be possible to see if yours is one of the 'howler' models.

13,500 BTU is a pretty standard size even for towables.  If you are ever in Gila Bend, Arizona in July, you would appreciate all of the BTUs.

Back
Top Bottom