Noisy Generator

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Seon

I didn't want to hijack the other thread where the OP bought a Predator 4000 to used while camping. How does one handle a fellow camper next to you running a noisy generator? Report it to the campground host/Ranger? What about at a BLM without a Ranger/Host?

I haven't had that happened to me but it could certainly ruin a pleasant camping trip.

Make sure you know the generator rules for your location before complaining to anyone. Different services and locations have different rules for generator operating hours and acceptable noise levels.

How does one handle a fellow camper next to you running a noisy generator?
I would find that to be a good time for me to take a hike. I wouldn't complain about it, without a very good reason.

If it's raining and not good for hiking, I would use my headset with my ham radio stuff. However, if there was electrical noise (known as "QRN" in the ham radio world) from that generator, when I am not sure what I would do. Perhaps see if I could move to another spot.

So far, has not happened.

-Don- Reno, NV

One time it happened to me I just let the camp host know about it. This guy was several sites down from me and the thing was hammering away all day. What I don't get is I could hear it inside my RV 200' away, can only imagine what it was like in his RV right next to it. Can't imagine what he needed (or thought he needed) to run, he was the only one in the campground running a generator. Another time a guy next to me fired off his harbor freight noisemaker but he preemptively walked over and said it would only be for an hour or so and he was true to his word. Probably the only time I would make contact with someone about their generator is during quiet hours, the last thing I want to hear is a hammering generator all night.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

If you are in a campground why would you need a generator unless the power went out. If on BLM land boon-docking that is normal to have generators running. If to loud for you just move the BLM area is usually quite large. If there are no generator operation rules or times just get over it.

If you are in a campground why would you need a generator unless the power went out. If on BLM land boon-docking that is normal to have generators running. If to loud for you just move the BLM area is usually quite large. If there are no generator operation rules or times just get over it.
Lots of Forest Service campgrounds don't have electricity.

If it's outside the quiet time I would definitely inform the campground - Not my job to enforce rules.

If running all day I would complain but understand I don't really have a complaint against the rules - I would try to get moved.

The national park campgrounds have a generator noise limit of 60db at 50'. Our neighbor was running a generator that was way over that. I reported it to the host, who said "I know, but I don't have a db meter. I told him that was as dumb it was to have a rule with no way to enforce it. Sounds like a traffic cop saying "I know all those cars are speeding, but I don't have a way to check their speed." Fortunately, the guy with the noisy generator left the next day.

When I got home, I got a db meter app for my phone. So far, I haven't had to use it.

Joel

Back
Top Bottom