Noisy range hood fan

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mitchn

My range hood fan is so noisy it drives me crazy when it's on.

We can't even have a conversation while it's running.

Does anyone have any ideas for a quieter fan setup?

Thanks!

I suspect they're all made by the same folks - probably the Hurricane Katrina Range Hood and Wind Tunnel Company, or something like that ::)  Mine is just as noisy, but when I don't use it, the smoke alarm is even louder! If the wind isn't too strong, sometimes you can start it on the 'high' speed to get the vent flap open and then switch to 'low'. I've scoured the Grainger catalog for squirrel cage blowers to replace it, but didn't find any in the 12VDC range that would work. Maybe with some ingenuity, you could adapt an automobile heater blower to solve the problem?   

Sadly most such units are very noisy. Cheap materials and crappy design, I guess.  Computers use 12v cooling fans and are much quieter - maybe one can be adapted to fit somehow? But if the system depends on the air flow to force open an external vent flap, you need a lot of air and that's noisy.

Does your fan vent outside the RV or just pull the air through a filter and back out into the interior?

I have thought about putting a few pieces of felt padding on the filter to keep it from rattling.  If I take it out, ours in our park trailer seems to be much quieter. 

rjf7g said:
I have thought about putting a few pieces of felt padding on the filter to keep it from rattling.  If I take it out, ours in our park trailer seems to be much quieter. 

There are two tabs at one end that hold most filters in place. Bending them just slightly may solve your problem. Normally the filters don't rattle.

Mitchn said:
My range hood fan is so noisy it drives me crazy when it's on.

We can't even have a conversation while it's running.

Does anyone have any ideas for a quieter fan setup?

Thanks!

Fans are noisy but it sounds like yours is more than normal. Perhaps the blades are hitting something causing the noise.

We seemed to be having this problem as well on our older TT, but we took off the filter and noticed that the fan blades where hitting the little 'rain flap' that had somehow gotten past a little lip that kept it away from the fan blades.  I just reached in there and pushed it out - it happens everytime that we move the trailer (I think it is the wind coming in from the outside as we are towing).  Might help, might not, depends on where it is hitting.  I would take off the little metal filter and see where the noise was coming from.

Back
Top Bottom