non-standard toilets

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
. The bag goes into a burn barrel. in warm weather he sits in a plastic chair and bathes in a stream. In the colder months he heats stream water and bathes out of a bucket (not the same bucket he poops in). He seems to like it this way. But when we go to town he points out the stores/restaurants that have the best restrooms. :cool:
Just ask all the Vietnam Era vets with major health issues how that poo in the burn barrel things turns out!
As for bathing in a stream. That's just plane rude. Polluting public water ways because he is cheap or lazy is just nasty?

Just ask all the Vietnam Era vets with major health issues how that poo in the burn barrel things turns out!
As for bathing in a stream. That's just plane rude. Polluting public water ways because he is cheap or lazy is just nasty?
Yeah, our son was in Iraq and Afghanistan where there were acres of burn pits. But I would posit one 55 gallon barrel with a couple bags of poo is not the same. As for bathing in the stream if you use the right soap there is no pollution. He is neither cheap nor lazy. You could very well be a nice guy but based on this post and some others of yours I’ve seen, I doubt it. But, you know what, it’s a free country, the First Amendment and all that stuff gives you the right to say pretty much what you want.

Like it or not and depending on what kind of soap he used it is still illegal most places.
BTW you don't like my comments, simply block me.

It all comes down to each one's lifestyle and where they will camp (hook-ups or not) and what level of effort they want to do and which is more icky for them, black tank and the dreaded snake hose, or a composting toilet, or my bags.

I went tent camping with a newbie, a very newbie, he had never camped. He is a sitter and magazine reader and needs 20 minuets. We finally decided that he should just sit on the ground and do his job and clean himself up later as he said he cannot squat at a tree for 20 minutes.
He is now a campervan full timer. I think he has a bucket now.

Were the Vietnam vets sick from poo smoke, or maybe Agent Orange and bizarre things the govt infected err, injected them with?

Okaydookey

Never had a sewer hose split, but then again it doesn’t hurt to replace maybe once a yr. I find it to be no problem dumping the tank, like someone said, they’ll all but put you in prison for dumping gray water on the ground, and it’s just a matter of time before you get caught.

Never had a sewer hose split, but then again it doesn’t hurt to replace maybe once a yr. I find it to be no problem dumping the tank, like someone said, they’ll all but put you in prison for dumping gray water on the ground, and it’s just a matter of time before you get caught.
What do tent campers do with their grey water? How about outdoor showers on RV’s and at some homes. How bout these folks that have off grid cabins out in the woods. Many of those folks have outhouses.

There are some BLM lands that allows grey water to be dumped responsibly on the ground.

CFR 8365.1-1 talks about proper sanitation while using BLM lands. Instead of referencing “gray water,” they instead use the term “wash water.” The agency states this is the only type of water that you can drain outside of waste receptacles.
Comon sense article

Ours is not a camping situation. We have a permanent cabin With a composting toilet. I use peat moss in the toilet and it is dumped into the compost bin. We are going to build a grey water septic behind the cabin. The system includes a pvc drain pipe buried with a 55 gallon plastic barrel cut lengthwise in half protecting the pipe from dirt.

What do tent campers do with their grey water? How about outdoor showers on RV’s and at some homes. How bout these folks that have off grid cabins out in the woods. Many of those folks have outhouses.
I simply stated if your hose has broken3 times maybe you should replace it once in a while!

Do ya think maybe, just maybe these folks with outhouses out in the woods that maybe, I mean just maybe someone else probably won’t be camping in same spot next week?

I have removed the toilet on all 4 campers, and never installed on two.
Black water is gross, and dumping it and dealing with it is more gross.
I poop in a bucket with a 3 cent trash bag that I used the day before as a trash bag. As a man I can manage to simultaneously squirt the other side into a p-jug so the bag is not full of liquid. If it is full of liquid it has never been an issue and I have never had a leak.
The bag can be stored as trash.
Gas stations, I have found, have convenient trash cans at the pump.
I am not someone that needs a magazine and 20 minutes of my day to discard my waste... Im in and out in seconds, so I do not need comfort, a bucket is fine.
Not having that dedicated location for a toilet means more storage room. Not having a toilet means no splatter and no stink.

I have owned and used for years the portable flush toilets. They are easier than a black tank, but you still have to carry the little black tank and dump it, then rinse it. Ick. I just prefer the cleanliness of the bag.

The composting toilets are gimmicky as far as composting. I doubt anyone leaves that stuff in there long enough to make compost. At best they are managing the smell and maybe drying it out.

A crow taught me in the desert that if you leave the bag open during the hot dry desert day that the little log will dry out and not have any odor. Does not work on the East coast though.

If you have female company then they do make a real toilet seat that fits on the bucket.

Do not defacate in or near a stream. The forest wants you 200 feet from a stream even for tent camping. Be far enough away that your waste cannot find the stream during a rain event.

For families the bucket and bag might not work as well.
You can use a bucket still and just cover it with saw dust or whatever and move bucket outside when not using. Think outside the box..

The reason RV manufacturers are not using composting is because RVs are built to appeal to the wife, not the man. Cheaply built yet pretty campers sell bc the wife likes the curtains.
So someone at the gas station has to get rid of your hazmat, talk about yuk. I'm sure you get caught it's against the law in every state. Yep I'm a retired cop look at the penalties at the bottom.

What Is Illegal Dumping?​

The definition of illegal dumping varies by state, but usually involves one of the following scenarios:
dumping waste on public or private property that is not licensed or permitted to receive waste
  • dumping waste, without a license or permit, into sewers or waterways, or
  • allowing another to dump waste on one's land, without being licensed to receive such waste.
The federal government has also passed multiple laws designed to protect the environment. These federal laws, such as the Resource Conservation and Recovery Act, have complex permitting requirements and typically apply to large volumes of hazardous waste.

Is Illegal Dumping a Misdemeanor or a Felony?​

Illegal dumping can be a misdemeanor or a felony, depending on the state and on a number of other factors, such as:
the amount of waste
the type of waste, and whether it is hazardous
whether the dumping is committed by an individual or a business, and
whether the defendant has committed prior offenses.

Dumping either hazardous or large quantities of waste, or being a repeat offender, are factors that make felony charges more likely.

Who Can Be Prosecuted?​

Prosecutors can file charges against individuals and companies that violate illegal dumping laws. In some instances, the law allows prosecution of a company's executives and managers if they should have known about the illegal dumping, even if they did not have actual knowledge of the violation.

Chapter 8.62 Infectious Waste

8.62.110 Penalties.​

A. Enforcement. All violations of this chapter are determined to be detrimental to the public health, safety and welfare and are hereby declared to be public nuisances.
B. Any generator who violates or fails to comply with any of the provisions of this chapter shall be subject to the following penalties:

1. For a first violation, the generator shall pay a $150.00 civil penalty; attend a mandatory biomedical waste training course designated through the County public health district; and submit a biomedical waste management plan to the County public health district within 30 days of being issued a citation and/or notice of violation. In addition to the civil penalty, the generator shall also be responsible for the cost of reviewing the biomedical waste management plan at a rate of not less than $65.00 per hour; and shall reimburse the county for all mitigation, cleanup, and decontamination costs resulting from the violation at a rate of not less than $185.86 per hour.

2. For a second violation within one calendar year, the violator shall pay a $1,000 civil penalty. In addition to the civil penalty, the generator shall reimburse the County public health district at a rate of $65.00 per hour, and the county for all mitigation, cleanup, and decontamination costs resulting from the violation at a rate of not less than $185.86 per hour.

3. For a third violation within one calendar year, the generator shall pay a $4,000 civil penalty. In addition to the civil penalty, the generator shall reimburse the County public health district at a rate of $65.00 per hour, and county for all mitigation, cleanup, and decontamination costs resulting from the violation at a rate of not less than $185.86 per hour.

4. For a fourth or any subsequent violation within one calendar year, the generator shall pay a $10,000 civil penalty and shall lose any and all waste disposal privileges at County landfills for a period of six months. In addition to the civil penalty, the generator shall reimburse the Okanogan County public health district at a rate of $65.00 per hour, and county for all mitigation, cleanup, and decontamination costs resulting from the violation at a rate of not less than $185.86 per hour.

5. A generator, whose waste disposal privileges have been suspended, may apply in writing for probationary reinstatement of waste disposal privileges to the County public health district. The generator’s waste disposal at County landfills shall be subject to monitoring by the Okanogan County public health district during the probationary period and the generator shall pay all cost of monitoring at a rate of not less than $65.00 per hour.

6. Generator’s waste disposal privileges shall not be reinstated under subsection (B)(4) or (5) of this section until the violator has paid in full all outstanding penalties and costs.

7. Any generator who fails to pay in full any assessed penalties and/or costs within 30 days of being issued a citation and/or notice of violation shall have its waste disposal privileges at County landfills suspended until such time as payment is made in full.

8. Cost for decontamination of landfill equipment and/or site will be borne by violator at a minimum rate of $185.86 per hour.

Tent campers in the out back have limited water not 65 gallons or more in an RV park showers are available, I'm sure you know that. RV out door showers normally a rinse not a true shower. This is off grid on a mountain top in Idaho, it's on a septic county building codes required.Idaho92-017.jpgIdaho92-031.jpgcab4.jpg

I don’t remember the post with the fines for dumping wash water mentioning an amount. But, State and National Parks we have camped in usually have quite few tent campers which would add to the grey water total. We’ve parked at friends and relatives homes and ran a garden hose from the sewer outlet and left the grey water valve open and drained into the yard. The compost toilet we have is dumped into the compost pile.

So someone at the gas station has to get rid of your hazmat, talk about yuk. I'm sure you get caught it's against the law in every state. Yep I'm a retired cop look at the penalties at the bottom.

What Is Illegal Dumping?​

The definition of illegal dumping varies by state, but usually involves one of the following scenarios:
dumping waste on public or private property that is not licensed or permitted to receive waste
  • dumping waste, without a license or permit, into sewers or waterways, or
  • allowing another to dump waste on one's land, without being licensed to receive such waste.
The federal government has also passed multiple laws designed to protect the environment. These federal laws, such as the Resource Conservation and Recovery Act, have complex permitting requirements and typically apply to large volumes of hazardous waste.

Is Illegal Dumping a Misdemeanor or a Felony?​

Illegal dumping can be a misdemeanor or a felony, depending on the state and on a number of other factors, such as:
the amount of waste
the type of waste, and whether it is hazardous
whether the dumping is committed by an individual or a business, and
whether the defendant has committed prior offenses.

Dumping either hazardous or large quantities of waste, or being a repeat offender, are factors that make felony charges more likely.

Who Can Be Prosecuted?​

Prosecutors can file charges against individuals and companies that violate illegal dumping laws. In some instances, the law allows prosecution of a company's executives and managers if they should have known about the illegal dumping, even if they did not have actual knowledge of the violation.

Chapter 8.62 Infectious Waste

8.62.110 Penalties.​

A. Enforcement. All violations of this chapter are determined to be detrimental to the public health, safety and welfare and are hereby declared to be public nuisances.
B. Any generator who violates or fails to comply with any of the provisions of this chapter shall be subject to the following penalties:
Interesting. This sounds like a law aimed at toxins like poisons, industrial waste biproducts, medical waste (needles and hospital waste). I doubt a law was written for people dumping a chocolate bar, though Im sure a chocolate bar is included in the waste list.
A little doodie in a bag put in another bag that gets put in a dumpster 50 feet away sounds like a minor infraction compared to dumping fluoride into water or radioactive isotopes into a landfill or AIDS contaminated needles into public trash can...
It is legal, and encouraged by municipalities, to do the same with your pet's doodie somehow.
Thanks for the info.

I don’t remember the post with the fines for dumping wash water mentioning an amount. But, State and National Parks we have camped in usually have quite few tent campers which would add to the grey water total. We’ve parked at friends and relatives homes and ran a garden hose from the sewer outlet and left the grey water valve open and drained into the yard. The compost toilet we have is dumped into the compost pile.
That grey water is great lawn fertilizer...

I am sure the soap &grease helps.
I don't dump grease down the drain, soap? Yes, great fertilizer. that 1/4 teaspoon of "grease" which I have no idea what you're talking about, is pretty well neutralized by the dish detergent which IS fertilizer. I don'tbrecommend 100 gals a week but alittle bit occasionally does no harm whatsoever in the right place. NOT in a camping area.

When I was camping in a tent twenty years ago I had a problem with my prostrate and had to get up and find a bathroom in the middle of the night several times. Eventually I bought a large bottle of Mountain Dew that I kept with me in the tent. I got a large bottle so I could fit into the opening. lol (to get a gator excited).

You must have a big private. I pee inside or go out side. LOL

Back
Top Bottom