Noob... sailor looking for some winter land based travel...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Steven UK

Hello all... :) I'm planning to move into an RV this year after my house sells in MN (MN & IA border). Loving the idea of traveling around and boondocking. I have done some long range solo sailing so hoping some of the food, energy and water preservation experience will help. I'll be remote working from home/rv which will be another challenge. that being said I'm sure I'll have lots of stupid questions so please be patient with me. Current plan is 36-40ft Diesel Pusher.
Best Regards Steven

Welcome to the forum! Lots very nice and knowledgeable folks here. RVs have lots in common with sailboats (all boats really, but sailing craft in particular). Your experience with energy, water, waste, and space/storage management puts you far ahead of the average newbie.
There are no stupid questions, so don’t hesitate to ask anything at all.

Steven,
Do you know what is different about a boat and a RV??
Water can leak out of an RV.........
Really, the two are so much alike that the differences are largely in the vocabulary.
A pump out is now a Dump.
Gunkholing is now Boondocking.
Anchor out is Dry Camping.
Alongside is now Full Hook up.
You need to look for low clearance instead of shallow water.
Maintenance and Navigation are still important, but you have roads now instead of Aids to Navigation.
If you need more of this, I can go on. (and on, and on)
A lifelong waterman and licensed mariner that decided to go some dry places a few years back.
Matt

I used the 'net to find comparisons on the two and read this:

2) An RV May Be Safer to Live In

When you live in an RV, you don’t have to worry about whether or not it is going to sink while your sleeping. You also don’t have to worry about a large wave knocking your RV over while you’re camped somewhere.
When you live in a boat, you do have to worry about situations like these.
Another factor is that you never have to worry about falling off of your RV and drowning. Personally, I’ve never been out to see in a boat without other people, but if I did, I’d probably be nervous about going overboard and not being able to get back to my boat.

That got me thinking 'bout this RV falls into river.
So me thinks knowing how to swim could be a RVing prerequisite. :)

I used the 'net to find comparisons on the two and read this:

2) An RV May Be Safer to Live In

When you live in an RV, you don’t have to worry about whether or not it is going to sink while your sleeping. You also don’t have to worry about a large wave knocking your RV over while you’re camped somewhere.
When you live in a boat, you do have to worry about situations like these.
Another factor is that you never have to worry about falling off of your RV and drowning. Personally, I’ve never been out to see in a boat without other people, but if I did, I’d probably be nervous about going overboard and not being able to get back to my boat.

That got me thinking 'bout this RV falls into river.
So me thinks knowing how to swim could be a RVing prerequisite. :)
OldWEB... going overboard was a reoccurring nightmare for me... both before and after i had made my purchase. in practice i have nearly gone over board a couple of times. clip in and take your precautions. as far as going overboard the best advice is just 'don't do it'. fear will keep you careful. :)

OldWEB... going overboard was a reoccurring nightmare for me... both before and after i had made my purchase. in practice i have nearly gone over board a couple of times. clip in and take your precautions. as far as going overboard the best advice is just 'don't do it'. fear will keep you careful. :)
As a retired sailor, I slipped and went overboard one time...without a vest. I was lucky. I knew a guy who got blown off the flight deck of a carrier during flight ops. They never found him.

Boat US once reported the number one cause of going overboard was peeing off the side. Hmm, alcohol and rogue waves...
Nope, I was teaching my lab pup how to exit and enter the boat when duck hunting. I was picking him up and setting him over the side and my feet slipped on the wet deck and in I went, right on top of him.

Boat US once reported the number one cause of going overboard was peeing off the side. Hmm, alcohol and rogue waves...
i'll pee off the side if there is someone else on board or there is no wind and i'm stationery but that is rare. generally i find another solution... i'm sure there is a Boondocking analogy here somewhere...

i'll pee off the side if there is someone else on board or there is no wind and i'm stationery but that is rare. generally i find another solution... i'm sure there is a Boondocking analogy here somewhere...
there is an often quoted saying that "no one ever fell of the boat using the head" the chance of falling is slim but the consequence is huge... that's my thought for the day... you're welcome :)

When boondocking alone, the black water tank only gets used some of the time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MtnRV
Back
Top Bottom