Norcold fridge frosting up really fast

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bigtexan99

My 10 year old Norcold N841 metal fins are icing up really fast, like in 5 days. 

I did the dollar bill around the door test and the lower left corner lets the dollar out pretty easy.

What do I do know?  Add more insulation to the existing one?  I was thinking of adding some press on foam insulation...would that help?

Thx

Picture of frost after 5 days:  http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/5210/43275158.jpg

Picture of door frame: http://img829.imageshack.us/img829/8729/38321517.jpg

Picture of door seal: http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/6136/21447734.jpg

Are you sure that nothing is keeping the door from fully closing?

I have not checked with Norcold.  There is no objects in the fridge keeping the door from closing.

Do you think adding a strip of insulation would help?

What about adjusting the door?

We had some luck on our Dometic two-door with new seals and replacing the thermocouple that clips on a fin and monitors temperature. Also added a small fridge fan to circulate air. No more permafrost in the refrigerator section. Also, the previous owner had the thermocouple on the bottom of the fin, but should be on or near the top, at least on ours.

That much frost that fast is most certainly from an excessive amount of moist air getting into the box. Trying to align the door may help (and it's free) or a seal replacement is in order.

I bought some thin self adhesive foam at the hardware store.  Put a thin strip all the way around the fridge, right on top of the existing insulation.

I'll give an update in 5 days.

Our motor home is at Lazy Days as I post this with this very problem. Our problem being the right freezer door does not close on the top left corner allowing air in causing ice buildup.They supposedly fixed the problem a year ago by installing a new door but the new door is the same way. Now Lazy days is waiting for a fix from Norcold and has been for 2 weeks. The tech at Norcold told me that the door needed to be adjusted,only problem is they neglected to provide any means of adjustment when they made these refrigerators, so now they have to be jury rigged with shims or wedges. Nice fix Norcold.

When mine was acting up I replaced the thermistor that is clamped to the fins. Also the drain hose was plugged going out the back so the moisture stayed inside instead of draining in the little pan in back.

The thin foam seems to have done the trick.  I suppose a new gasket would as well, but the foam was only two dollars.

Attached are pics of the fins after 5 days.

And of the foam attached to the gasket.

Attachments

• ff1.jpg
    ff1.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 49
  • ff2.jpg
    ff2.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 49
In addition to less frost, the fridge is also getting colder!  I've noticed that cans of drinks are now colder.

I love it when the best solutions are the easiest! Just remember to monitor the new seals in hot weather. In case the sticky starts to get loose.

bigtexan99 said:
The thin foam seems to have done the trick.  I suppose a new gasket would as well, but the foam was only two dollars.

Attached are pics of the fins after 5 days.

And of the foam attached to the gasket.

I read this thread because I had the exact same problem.  I added the foam gasket and I am four days in with zero frost and better cooling.  Thanks for posting this!!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trooper#1
Back
Top Bottom