Norcold Recall high temp limit switch replacement.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Adventuresekr

Hi All. I have a Norcold Model 1201LRIM SR. no. 1278435 refrigerator with the recall temp. limit switch installed. This switch failed and would like to replace it. (yes I did the magnet reset) This worked the first time I did it when the light came on. It is not working at all now. I had to bypass it to get the fridge to work. (I know, bad idea). I am only trouble shooting, I have no intentions of running in bypass.
I see from my search on the web that the switch model 637360 is available. Will this work as a replacement of mine, 634677? I am a mechanic by trade so I really hate to have to schedule and pay labor for this repair when I can do it myself. Anyone have this problem?

Last edited:
Is it worth risking fire in the RV from an overheating refrigerator boiler? That is what you are considering.
No, I'm simply asking if the 637360 is a replacement for the model 634677 I currently have.
I have no intentions of running it bypassed.
I edited my post to reflect this.

Last edited:
Have you considered that the unit did perform it's job and prevented a fire? There may be an actual fault in the fridge. If that unit keeps tripping, you need to get it checked by a QUALIFIED service.

I suggest you install a ARP Fridge Defend module - it is far superior to the Norcold device, which only shuts off if severe overheating and then does not auto-restart, usually costing you your food.

The 637360 claims to fit the 2118 model fridge. Don't know how well it would work with the other models. Norcold doesn't say what the difference is [if any]. They are very secretive about what it does.

The engineer that designed the ARP Fridge Defend unit probably knows and last I heard he would respond to calls or emails.

The Norcold recall module has a lifetime warranty, Norcold will supply a new module to a dealership but not to an individual for legal reasons.
The Fridge Defend/ARP unit is to be installed in series with the Norcold recall module, again for legal reasons. I also highly recommend buying this device. If you are forced to park on a steep slope for 30 minutes or more, the Fridge Defend will turn off your fridge to prevent the boiler system from overheating then restart/cycle when it cools down again.
Norcold will not allow a dealership to stock their recall module, the service dept. must diagnose the recall module is bad then they are allowed to order a replacement.
Ya, I know it sucks, but it is what it is.

BTW, after all the lawsuits and "recall module" stuff, Norcold has not redesigned or changed their absorption refrigerator design, except the recall module is now incorporated into the main board.

Last edited:
Thank you very much Gary and Ray for the perfect response to my question!
You guys pretty much confirmed what I already suspected.
I actually have a ARP Fridge Defend unit still in the package I purchase over a year ago. Just didn't get around to installing it. After the recall box unit tripped over a year ago and I reset it (it got wet), I have not had a problem with the fridge, so the ARP unit kind of fell down on the priority's list.
Now that the crappy recall unit failed completely, it is now back on top of the list!
Ray, You also answered another question I had. I did not know the ARP unit was to be installed in series with the recall unit. Thought maybe it was to replace the Norcold one.
Thanks again guys. Looks like I'm off to the authorized dealer!

I did not know the ARP unit was to be installed in series with the recall unit. Thought maybe it was to replace the Norcold one.
I am a long time user of the ARP Fridge Defend and would not use an absorption refrigerator without it. Make sure that you follow the instructions that came with your Fridge Defend when you put it in as it does not cut into any circuit of the refrigerator. What it does is to go between the 12V supply and the refrigerator so that if it senses an over temperature condition it just removes all power from the refrigerator but there are no wires of the refrigerator cut or modified, thus it does not violate the refrigerator manufacturer's warranty in any way.

Gary is correct that Paul Unmack does respond to inquiries. I have known Paul now for almost 10 years and have the highest respect for him and Mao. Both of them are electrical engineers.

Last edited:
I am a long time user of the ARP Fridge Defend and would not use an absorption refrigerator without it. Make sure that you follow the instructions that came with your Fridge Defend when you put it in as it does not cut into any circuit of the refrigerator. What it does is to go between the 12V supply and the refrigerator so that if it senses an over temperature condition it just removes all power from the refrigerator but there are no wires of the refrigerator cut or modified, thus it does not violate the refrigerator manufacturer's warranty in any way.

Gary is correct that Paul Unmack does respond to inquiries. I have known Paul now for almost 10 years and have the highest respect for him and Mao. Both of them are electrical engineers.
Thank you for clarifying that further Kirk. I have scheduled a service for the recall box and will have them install the ARP unit as well.

Many RV shops won't install the ARP unit because Norcold & Dometic give them grief about it (it makes their product safety look inadequate). If Norcold catches an authorized service outlet doing it, they threaten to pull their authorization, meaning the shop can't do Norcold warranty work. You will probably have to buy the Fridge Defend yourself and hire a mobile tech to install it. Or any handyman type person who can do 12v wiring. It's pretty simple to install.

Hi All. I have a Norcold Model 1201LRIM SR. no. 1278435 refrigerator with the recall temp. limit switch installed. This switch failed and would like to replace it. (yes I did the magnet reset) This worked the first time I did it when the light came on. It is not working at all now. I had to bypass it to get the fridge to work. (I know, bad idea). I am only trouble shooting, I have no intentions of running in bypass.
I see from my search on the web that the switch model 637360 is available. Will this work as a replacement of mine, 634677? I am a mechanic by trade so I really hate to have to schedule and pay labor for this repair when I can do it myself. Anyone have this problem?
Number1- The switch can only be gotten thru a authorized repair tech. I called the manufacturer and was told I could not get this part, ONLY the repair tech could order. I did this last year, the part cost me nothing and I gave the repair tech I use $100 for his time.
Number2- I would go with Gary's suggestion with the other unit. It'll be much safer.

Many RV shops won't install the ARP unit because Norcold & Dometic give them grief about it (it makes their product safety look inadequate). If Norcold catches an authorized service outlet doing it, they threaten to pull their authorization, meaning the shop can't do Norcold warranty work. You will probably have to buy the Fridge Defend yourself and hire a mobile tech to install it. Or any handyman type person who can do 12v wiring. It's pretty simple to install.
Thanks for this Gary. Yes, I kind of got that vibe from the shop I was going to bring it to. He said I don't need the ARP unit and they don't recommend it because the recall unit fixes the problem.
I do have the ARP unit and will install it after I get it back. At the moment, all authorized repair facilities in my area are booked a month or more out. That was the reason for my post. I am capable of doing the work if only I could get my hands on a recall box. I had contemplated installing the ARP unit INSTEAD of the recall box so that was another reason for this post.
For legal reasons probably not a good idea.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom