north from Susanville Calif to Klamath Falls Oregon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

terrymj

Hi, need some advise or guidance. Headed north from Susanville Calif to Klamath Falls Oregon in a couple of weeks in class A MH. My map is giving me two choices. First to go 139 to Canby then continue north to the border. The second choice is to go 139 to Adin and take 299 to Beiber then up Lookout Hackamore Road bypassing going to Canby. My question is Lookout Hackamore Road an acceptable route to take in a class A motorhome. It looks to be flatter, but wondering if anyone had first hand experience with that route.
Thanks
Terry

Lookout Hackamore Rd​

Hi Terry,

Just did that route last November. I simply took 139 to the boarder which turns into 39 and goes into Klamath Falls. You can also take 140 from 39 and that takes you out by the airport. You don't want to drive downtown KF in an RV.

Nice travel route with plenty of interesting terrain. I didn't go the other route. Best Wishes and Safe travels.

Hi Terry,

Just did that route last November. I simply took 139 to the boarder which turns into 39 and goes into Klamath Falls. You can also take 140 from 39 and that takes you out by the airport. You don't want to drive downtown KF in an RV.

Nice travel route with plenty of interesting terrain. I didn't go the other route. Best Wishes and Safe travels.
Awesome...thanks

Hi Terry,

Just took the 139 to 39 route. From there I took 140 W and that catches Sturdivant Ave. into town where I go. Best!

I’ve been to Susanville multiple times and the climb north out of Susanville on 139 is steep. Did that route only once in the motor home, got stuck on a steep incline with construction and swore never to take again. Myself, I take 395 north to Alturas and then head west on 299 and catch 139 West to KF … 140 is a good alternative to bypass KF … weather can be temperamental this time of year, watch the weather reports. I grew up in Southern Oregon and have been all over most of it.

Hi Terry,

I forgot to mention the turn off on 140 is on Summer's Lane to Sturdivant.

I see they are calling for snow and rain next couple of days. Serious business when it snows and your on steep grades so be careful!!!

The 139 grade from Susanville is 3 miles of steep and a lot of people don't like it. I have driven it enough it doesn't bother me. Taking 395 is too far out of my way for my liking.

The Lookout Hackamore Road is a county road, not a state highway. It is two lane paved, but not quite as wide or nice as 139. Still OK for a RV, but I stay on 139 when heading that way. The grade over the pass Adin to Canby is no problem. The grade from Canby north is a little steeper, but is short. Once you get to Ambrose (nothing there, it was an old RR siding and a Forest Service guard station at one time), the highway is flat until you descend into the Tulelake Area.
No fuel between Adin and Tulelake if you go 139. Fuel in Bieber, otherwise none until Tulelake. I always carry extra fuel in my truck when in that part of the state. Stations may be open, maybe not, may have fuel, maybe not. :)

A picnic area along 139 south of Adin called Willow Creek is real nice to stop for a break. Shady, along a creek, large and wide turnout along the highway. We frequently take a leg stretch or lunch there.

Last edited:
Nice burger stop in Adin.

The Oney Frosty in Town.
I top off my tank at the Juniper Junction station at 139/299 intersection. I do not need to normally, but if I don't I am uncomfortably low when I reach Tulelake. Tourist prices and occasionally the power is out or the credit card reader doesn't work (life in rural America!). So I always carry cash. Been there enough I know exactly how to pull the rig into the tight space next to the pumps.
Unlimited boondocking spots along 139. There is a small full hookup RV park in the little hamlet of Tionesta a couple miles off the highway. That is also the 'back door' entrance to Lava Beds National Monument. Another unknown attraction in the area is Medicine Lake, elevation 6770 feet. Little known and gets mostly local use. Cool geology in the area, a volcanic wonderland.

I top off my tank at the Juniper Junction station at 139/299 intersection. I do not need to normally, but if I don't I am uncomfortably low when I reach Tulelake. Tourist prices and occasionally the power is out or the credit card reader doesn't work (life in rural America!). So I always carry cash. Been there enough I know exactly how to pull the rig into the tight space next to the pumps.
Unlimited boondocking spots along 139. There is a small full hookup RV park in the little hamlet of Tionesta a couple miles off the highway. That is also the 'back door' entrance to Lava Beds National Monument. Another unknown attraction in the area is Medicine Lake, elevation 6770 feet. Little known and gets mostly local use. Cool geology in the area, a volcanic wonderland.
We've been to Lava Beds and Medicine Lake where we watched a guy catch one fish after another. We also saw some incredible obsidian. Great place.

Hi Jackie,

Did you go into the ice caves at the Lave Beds? That's a neat feature there! Best!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
timothious
Back
Top Bottom