Not the sharpest Firefighters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Mike L said:
I also successfully fought an engine fire, l too had a fight with Insurance company and ended up paying for repairs, if it happens again I'll get everyone out and let it burn

As a fulltimer my biggest concern while watching the video was the trailer, hoping they wouldn't lose everything (and was glad to see they didn't). Insurance will replace the truck, but I'd fight a truck fire to save the trailer

lavarock1210 said:
OK I have an eight pound fire extinguisher (Probably a little larger than most carry in a trailer)  School us on how to put out an engine fire.

Prior to the Fire Department arriving and in the early stages of a vehicle engine fire, a dry chemical extinguisher would be my method of choice.  Assuming the fire starts with a broken fuel line, the fuel comes into contact with the hot exhaust manifold and ignites (a very common cause of gasoline powered engine fires).  First, I would release the hood from the inside.  Many times, after the fire progresses, the plastic parts in the hood release mechanism melt making it very difficult, if not impossible, to get the hood open. Therefore, this step is very important.  Then, I would ready my extinguisher by pulling the pin, giving the extinguisher a short burst to make sure it works, then if the fire is still "small" enough (lots of smoke, very little flame) open the hood from the front being careful not to burn your hands.  Two people make this part easier and safer, one with the extinguisher, at the ready, and one slowly opening the hood.  Be aware that the fire could flash so keep your face clear.  Once the hood is open you can get to where the fire is burning.  It is important to get to the seat of the fire.  At this point, you discharge the extinguisher with a sweeping motion at the base of the flames. If you can't safely get the hood open you may try directing the extinguisher from under the engine.  Be aware that there may be burning fuel on the pavement under the vehicle.  Many times it may take more than one extinguisher to completely put out the fire but I have found that bystanders are more than willing to offer their extinguishers and to help with extinguishing the fire.  Once the fire is out offer to pay for a extinguisher refill.  Don't take too much smoke.  There are lots of toxic plastics and chemicals in vehicles and if the fire gets too big let the professionals handle it.  Hopefully they will be a little more aggressive than the one in the video.

And use that extinguisher judiciously. Use short bursts, carefully aimed at the base of the flames. Don?t spray wildly, and don?t spray at the smoke - an almost universal mistake made by untrained persons.

Once knocked down, the fire will most likely flare up again if heat and fuel are still present (especially if there is a fuel leak), so be ready for it.

If the fire is beyond the very beginning stage, don?t bother. You?ll never put it out, and you stand a very good chance of getting hurt. Burning vehicles don?t explode (unless the special effects crew has loaded it with explosives), but fuel can ignite rapidly. Tires might explode, and other items might pop off - you could get hurt if you?re standing too close.

Oldgator73 said:
My vehicle catches fire everybody will get out and run. After it?s all over I call an Uber and go to dinner and a hotel.

I?m with you. I had a minor electrical fire in my pickup, and forever regretted putting it out. Should have let it go, and not had issues later on.

Back in my tow truck days, I was with the Volunteer FD, when trainers from Miami FD came to instruct us all on how to deal with vehicle fires.
That firefighter could have used that training course, I think.

HappyWanderer said:
And use that extinguisher judiciously. Use short bursts, carefully aimed at the base of the flames. Don?t spray wildly, and don?t spray at the smoke - an almost universal mistake made by untrained persons.

Once knocked down, the fire will most likely flare up again if heat and fuel are still present (especially if there is a fuel leak), so be ready for it.

If the fire is beyond the very beginning stage, don?t bother. You?ll never put it out, and you stand a very good chance of getting hurt. Burning vehicles don?t explode (unless the special effects crew has loaded it with explosives), but fuel can ignite rapidly. Tires might explode, and other items might pop off - you could get hurt if you?re standing too close.

Thanks HappyWanderer for expanding on my post.  Good Information.  :)) :))

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bob007
Back
Top Bottom