Odd dimensions for sleeping space

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BikerFlex&HappyJen

Our travel trailer has a drop down dinette which is our sleeping space. When I use a queen sheet it takes a huge effort to try to put it on, cushions popping up as I made the effort.We decided we wanted to pull the cushions off and try to find a mattress to put in. Measuring the area it is 55x87. Basically, full/queen size wide by more than king size length (over an extra half foot!). I am baffled. I can?t seem to find a mattress to fit the area, or a proper sheet.

Any thoughts or ideas? Does anyone know how I could find a mattress to fit this space? Is it normal for an rv? It?s one thing to have someone handy on a sewing machine make a custom bedsheet, a whole other thing to find a proper mattress...

There are many "mom and pop" mattress factories around the country who are happy to do custom sizes - which this is.  For sheets, use flat king for both bottom and top, and tuck in the excess.

Alternately, get a king memory foam and cut to fit with an electric knife.

If a queen fits, buy it and leave the extra space empty or put a night stand or something else in that space. I wouldn't hassle with a custom mattress and custom sheets just to fill a space that you won't sleep on anyway.

grashley said:
There are many "mom and pop" mattress factories around the country who are happy to do custom sizes - which this is.  For sheets, use flat king for both bottom and top, and tuck in the excess.

Alternately, get a king memory foam and cut to fit with an electric knife.

We had a mattress made for one of our trailers at a "Mom and Pop" place and it wasn't all that expensive.

I've bought a couple of products from The Foam Factory and been completely happy with their quality and service.  They will happily cut a mattress to any size you specify and ship it to you.  There's also lots of good info on their site about the different kinds of foam, different foam densities, etc. to help you pick the right stuff.

https://www.thefoamfactory.com/

I'm currently sleeping on a 6" latex foam mattress with a separate memory foam topper, both from them.  The mattress rests on top of a Froli Sleep System set of plastic springs, which is another great product.

http://www.nickleatlantic.com/ 

This is great info! I didn?t know if there were places that customized mattresses. That may be the route we have to go. Realized the length of our sleeping area is actually longer than California king measurements (87 our bed vs 80 Cali king), but full size in width. We sleep from side to side of the trailer instead of front to back.

No wonder my bedsheet was such a stretch and a hassle to put on...

Thank you for everyone?s input. Hopefully we find something that fits our space and also comfy. The dinette cushions are ok and we sleep well alright, but it would be nice to have one big mattress.

I got a quote from a mom and pop for a mattress and I was shocked at how cheap it was. I did not buy it, I sold the RV instead. I don't remember the specifics since it was over ten years ago but it was about queen size and under $100.

Back
Top Bottom