Odometer on a 5th Wheel?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zkweber7

Sorry to ask such a dumb question, but do fifth-wheels have odometers?

I thought the answer was "no," but we're selling our unit now, and the buyer's bank says that there's an odometer someplace, and that they can't loan the money without knowing the mileage.

My owner's manual was (as usual) no help at all.

Thanks for any help you can give me in looking for the odometer!

I thought the answer was "no," but we're selling our unit now, and the buyer's bank  says that there's an odometer someplace, and that they can't loan the money without knowing the mileage.

Obviously the bank hasn't got a clue as to what their doing.  I would choose a different bank just in case this is an indication of the rest of their banking expertise.  Bottom line unless somebody was to install an device on a axle, as is done on some 18 wheeler trailers, there is no odometer on a RV trailer.

It is possible to put on on a 5th wheel, they have developed odometers for trucks that are part of the front wheel hub. This is so ananl-tententive  fleet managers can insure the trucker does not disconnect the speedometer in the truck and go for a side jaunt.

However I know of not trailer manafacturer who uses this technology.  And I've never seen such a thing on any kind of trailer from the smallest utility, boat or motorcycle up to the largest semi trailer,,, and I've seen a lot of trailers

I thought the answer was "no," but we're selling our unit now, and the buyer's bank says that there's an odometer someplace, and that they can't loan the money without knowing the mileage.

The reason your owners manual was no help is that no one, anytime puts odometers on RV trailers largely because they have no engines or transmissions.  In fact, the valuation services like NADA and Edmunds base their valuations on model and year.  This leaves one to wonder exactly where and how that loan officer is going to apply the information against what database.

If he is all your bank has to offer, find another bank.

John,

While traveling to QZ take note of 18 wheeler trailers axles.  It is quite common to see one axle with a odometer on it.

Back
Top Bottom