Oh my, showing my age

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Lowell said:
...  And sometimes neighbors would listen in on othere folks conversations. lol
Back then if you had an important call to make without all the neighbors knowing your business, you went town and used the phone at the telephone company central office.

I guess secrecy of a phone call has not disappeared until this day....  Cell phone calls are recorded regularly if I read the news correctly.  Who can listen and who wants to....perhaps the Government or anyone with a proper scanner.  Wow, what a World.

Went to a geocaching gathering at a private residence in Tucson this past weekend.  Saw a jar of marbles,went over to look at it and another senior came over to look also.  The owner came over and said that his mother had saved them from his boyhood.  In grade school back them, most of the boys carried a small bag of marbles to play with at recess.  We all agreed that our Mothers  were not happy that the knee on our pants were having to be patched. Grew up in SE Oklahoma and now in my 79th year--------surprised that I can remember that far back.

Bill Dane    99  CC  Allure

Marbles for the boys and jacks for the girls.  Actually I liked marbles better but I was a tomboy!  ::)

ArdraF

ArdraF said:
Marbles for the boys and jacks for the girls.  Actually I liked marbles better but I was a tomboy!  ::)

ArdraF

Marbles and jacks!  Wow!  So many memories.  I was very frustrated because I could never beat my brother playing marbles, but we spent many hours dawing a ring in the dirt while I tried.  I was a tomboy, too, until age 11, when I decided boys were boring (my brother and his buddy, that is) and spent the summer reading Nancy Drew mysteries instead.  (ALL of them ... one after the other.)   

Jacks .... that was MY game!  Give me a hunk of concrete and one of my Dad's golf balls, and I was home free.  ;)  I
Margi

Wimps played marbles, real boys played mumblety peg with our pocket knives :)  Try that in a school yard today :(

During WW2, I can remember my Mother and Grandmother making soap.  Seem to remember it was called LYE soap.  We must have had tough skin back then.  The water was heated on a wood burning stove.  All the people that I knew had a garden and it was referred to as a "victory garden".

Bill Dane      99  CC  Allure

Ned said:
Wimps played marbles, real boys played mumblety peg with our pocket knives :)  Try that in a school yard today :(
;D Yeah, today they would call in the SWAT team, CBS, and the trauma vultures er counselors. I look at my grand daughters and think why can't a kid be left alone to be a kid?

Jim Godward said:
As a kid in St Paul, we used ice picks.  Imagine that today!

Hi all and Ned,

You got me laughing. While I didn't know about that game, we use to throw putty knifes at work. We had wooden blocks on the floor. We would throw at each other's feet and the closest won a cup of coffee. Sometimes it got expensive as you could be down five or six cups of coffee (50 cents - 60 cents)  ::)

Your more brave when your thown at someone elses foot. Never had a serious injury though.

I have carried a small pocket knife since I got my first Barlow when I was 10 years old.  The one I carry now has about a 2" blade.  I use it to open mail, open boxes, strip wire, as a screwdrive, etc., etc.  I used to use it to pick my teeth on occasion, but age and the dentist removed that necessity.  Luckily, I have not had the need nor desire to travel by air since 9/11/2001.  I would feel pretty naked without my trusty little utility tool.  But, if anyone wants to challenge me to a round of mumbletypeg, I'm ready.

camperAL said:
You got me laughing. While I didn't know about that game, we use to throw putty knifes at work. We had wooden blocks on the floor. We would throw at each other's feet and the closest won a cup of coffee. Sometimes it got expensive as you could be down five or six cups of coffee (50 cents - 60 cents)  ::)

Boy, would OHSA have fun with that!  :)

There was another game we played with our pocket knives that required the long blade to be fully open, and the short (small) blade to be half open, but I can't remember how it was played, or if it even had a name.

EDIT - I just did a Google search and it seems that I stated the position of the blades backwards.

At my Grandmothers home in SE Oklahoma,  there was barrel to catch rain water from the roof run off.  The ladies used that water to wash their hair. 

Bill Dane    99 CC  Allure

llib enad said:
At my Grandmothers home in SE Oklahoma,  there was barrel to catch rain water from the roof run off.  The ladies used that water to wash their hair. 

Bill Dane    99 CC  Allure
I thought everyone did that.  The water is much softer and your hair gets cleaner. :)  You just have to throw a few minnows in there to keep the mosquito larvae down.

Molaker said:
I have carried a small pocket knife since I got my first Barlow when I was 10 years old.  The one I carry now has about a 2" blade.  I use it to open mail, open boxes, strip wire, as a screwdrive, etc., etc.  I used to use it to pick my teeth on occasion, but age and the dentist removed that necessity.  Luckily, I have not had the need nor desire to travel by air since 9/11/2001.  I would feel pretty naked without my trusty little utility tool.  But, if anyone wants to challenge me to a round of mumbletypeg, I'm ready.

Have only flown once since 9/11/2001, and that was to go pick up our present coach in San Clemente Ca. That was back in October of 09. First thing I did was to pick up a new knife before even heading to San Clemente from San Deigo. Now I have a spare S&W Extreme Ops Folder. By the way, Mr Haycraft did not give the BMC to his son, I paid cash. [Found a comment in the BMC section last week where he told someone he gave it to his  son.] Randy probably remembers it from posting it on his site.
Edit: Fixed quote.

In school we always played "Who could hit the easiest". The "New Guy" got to go first. And I always lost.

Another game that was played was "Kicking Shins". Two people would stand two feet apart and take turns kicking. The first to break and run lost. I was smart enough to never play that game.

First time that I watched TV. Sister had a new TV and was a big Alabama fan. Went to her house to watch Bama play TCU in Sugar Bowel. Bama player, Lewis, came off bench and tackled a TCU player. TCU was awarded a touchdown. My sister was upset but I thought that it was funny since I was an Auburn fan.

Tom said:
We played conkers at school.

Interesting use of chestnuts.  When I was quite young, we had 2 large chestnut trees in the front yard and I was delegated to pick up the fallen nuts before my dad would cut the grass.  They looked exactly like those in the WikiPedia article and I hated the job.  Those things were covered with spines :)

Back
Top Bottom