Oil for E-450

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shadow24

Hello,
I am looking to do my first oil change in my 04 Jayco. It has the V-10 E-450. From everything I've read I am only supposed to use 5W-20 oil. Does anyone know if 5W-40 oil would work? I would like to use the Shell Rotella T 5W-40 synthetic.
I am also considering using Lucas synthetic oil stabilizer.
Any comments?
Joe

I don't know about the E-450.  My Dodge 5.7 hemi also requires 5W-20.  I was told by the Dodge Service manager that if I didn't use 5W-20, the engine service light would come on.  I would also like to use a synthetic but I'm not aware of any in 5W-20 weight.  If you find a brand, let us know.
Jake

Don't know the tolerances in the Ford engine, but -40 weight may be a problem (and could void any warranty claim...)

There are several brands of 5W20 (or 0W20) generally available including Mobil-1.  Both newer Fords and Hondas specify that viscosity.

I will ask a question.... why use 40 weight?  Is it burning oil?

With Synthetics the weight numbers are a bit more flexable but I would suggest the recommended weight unless it's burning oil.... Shell's oils should come in assortd weights

The reason I was looking at the Rotella 5W-40 is because I have used it in other vehicles and it seems to work good. I don't think Shell makes any other syn. Also I can get it at Wal-Mart in the gallon Jugs. I guess I should explore somewhere else, I do not want to void my warranty or mess anything up.

Well, I went to a newer Wal-mart supercenter and was very pleased to find lots of Motorcraft filters, even one that fits. And the exact right 5W-20 Motorcraft oil. Not a bad price either. ;D 8)

Back
Top Bottom