Oil wood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
2 years ago I bought a 10x5.5 wood board floor utility trailer. got the gallon of Thompson's water sealer and put it on liberally. I can hit any part of the wood with the garden hose and it will just bead up and roll off. I'm tickled. might give it another coat later on next year.

I couldn’t find wood protector. Only wood sealer. Are they the same?
The terms are often used interchangeably but the technical difference is that a wood preservative protects against insect damage and fungal decay, whereas a sealer protects the surface against the elements and helps it stay looking good, i.e. more cosmetic in nature. When you see a product labeled "wood protector", the question becomes "protects against what?", and is that the sort of protection you need for your situation. Is it looks or rot that you are worried about? Surface wear & tear or natural elements?

The terms are often used interchangeably but the technical difference is that a wood preservative protects against insect damage and fungal decay, whereas a sealer protects the surface against the elements and helps it stay looking good, i.e. more cosmetic in nature. When you see a product labeled "wood protector", the question becomes "protects against what?", and is that the sort of protection you need for your situation. Is it looks or rot that you are worried about? Surface wear & tear or natural elements?
True, I used the Thompson's sealer I posted above on the top of my deck to keep it weather resistant which in turn helps it not rot as fast. For protection from fungus underneath, I used another product every couple of years that I cannot recall the name of but it was milky white...and about $50 a gallon.

Why hose off the excess. Why not leave it there to penetrate even deeper

Once the stuff initially soaks in and cures, the excess will just lay on the surface. I have used this on my 35 year old deck and it needs less and less every time I clean and re-coat it. About 2-3 year intervals.

We have a flatbed car trailer with wood planks. I’ve done some reading about the various ways to preserve the wood.

I can’t seem to find a non-paint solution that doesn’t make the surface wickedly dangerous when wet. Or that won’t attract dirt.

As for oil, the best solution I read was to use ATF. The red gives the wood a nice color and it’s thin enough to soak in better, and the detergents slow mold and algae growth..

My solution so far: just leave it. If the planks need to be replaced in 10 years then OK. I’ll replace it with Trex if I still have the trailer. Or I’ll just put new wood in it.

I have to lay on the planks to put on the axle straps and step on the planks to get in and out of the car. I don’t want greasy shoes or paw prints in the car or anywhere else.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Millsk
Back
Top Bottom