Okay, stupid here again

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
B

Boat Addict

I have 525 watts in 3  solar panels and 200AH of batteries with a 40 amp MPPT controller.  I have a 2000 watt inverter.  I don't need to run house frig or any ac .The coffee maker, microwave and computer is the most that I will be running off of the inverter. Of course charging the batteries for three to four days tops is all that I am asking the panels to do.  Am I in working order before I fasten everything in place?

Do you have three 175 watt solar panels, or three panels with different outputs? Mismatched panels will not achieve the same output as panels with matched outputs. If you have three matched panels, 525 watts of solar should be able to fully recharge a 200 AH battery bank each day, as long as there is adequate sunlight. The length of the panels' wire run and the thickness (gauge) of the wire can significantly affect the amount of power that reaches the solar controller. Are the panels flat-mounted, or do they tilt?

Do you know how much power you typically consume in 24 hours? A 200 AH battery bank is going to struggle trying to power some microwave ovens for more than just a few minutes, and coffee makers aren't far behind - especially in the morning when the batteries have been discharging all night. Knowing your typical consumption over 24 hours is a big consideration when trying to size a battery bank and solar array. Battery monitors take all the guesswork out of it.

Kev

I have three brand new Renogy solar panels, right out of the box and ready to mount.  The use of the microwave is a passing thought. The wires are 10 gauge and 10 foot runs to the controller. They will be mounted flat and will get minimal use during the day . I am fully equipped with propane for cooking and operating the water heater and frig along with the grill. I just need the batteries to stay up for the water pump , lights and will be operating a K cup coffee machine. 

I forgot to ask, I think I have seen electric adjustable mounts spoken about for roof mounted solar panels. Any ideas where to look?

Just thinking about it for the future,,,

Boat Addict said:
I forgot to ask, I think I have seen electric adjustable mounts spoken about for roof mounted solar panels. Any ideas where to look?

Kevin's the right guy to ask about that.  ;D

If you leave the panels flat, expect to get about 65% of the rated capacity from them.

Without better data on your daily 12v power consumption (amp-hours), my gut reaction is that you need more batteries, more like 300AH.  You have reasonable charging capacity if the panels get sun several hours per day, but 200 AH (rated) of battery only gives you 100-110 AH of usable power. That fin for water pump and the gas controller boards on fridge & water heater, but depletes in a hurry if you use much lighting, furnace fan, inverter for coffee pot and computer, etc.

Boat, I hope you are not climbing around on your roof with the spinal problems you are still trying to get tracked down!

Ed

No Ed, I have help as I get the setup to be mounted after fine tuning for my use and needs. Gary this past summer I spent six days at Gros Ventre with just a 25 watt solar panel working as a trickle charger of sorts. I also had a generator that I did a boost with one day for about four hours during that time, which charged the same set of batteries while also running my ac. So this is my thinking on my required needs. I may find that I will increase my number of batteries though if I get greedy and use more equipment and power. I don't really know the exact usage and never really got to the point that I added it up. But I hope this is a good start and thought about putting it on here for the geniuses to possibly throw darts at and send me back to my wallet for different ratings or additional equipment. :)) Thxs guys and open for more suggestions , even if its a suggestion like "You need  a F 450 to pull a Scamp camper"  ;D ;D

Gary RV_Wizard said:
You can always add batteries later, but you should plan ahead for the possibility.

Actually this camper is a temporary one, after that piece of crap that we had this past year to fill the void  until next year.  If I update at all it will be the GC6v ones.  But we are not going to get too crazy with this one. This is a learning tool too. We hope to update this one, dependent upon health after the Tampa show and we can see what's out there. Its quite possible that we can find something that we like and that's similar that was probably purchased this year during the crazy buying spell and the owner puts it on the market at some savings from new .

Costco currently  has the GC6 210ah for $89.00 plus a $15 core charge. I thinks that's a good deal. Of course on top of that you'll need mounting brackets and cables.
Pat.

That's a good deal on those batteries. We don't have a Costco in my part of the world. But thanks anyway.  I do have things set up with the Renogy components and I have found out that I only needed two of the three panels, 175 watts each for my usage , which keeps the batteries fully charged off the grid for my nightly needs. Of course its not capable for running the air, which I rarely need anyway when plugged in. I try to camp when its just sunny and 72 at the most in the summer time.

Batteries Plus Bulbs stores also have good sale prices on golf cart batteries from time to time.

For the time being I have the setup rigged with group 31 12 volt batteries and in working order. I will probably stick with this camper as a result of the events this past week. I have a smaller modified sine wave inverter that I will add and rig with a battery switch isolated from the larger one, keeping the battery drain down for non-critical components and short term use in the evening, if needed. Thxs for the assistance and suggestions.

Boat Addict said:
I have three brand new Renogy solar panels, right out of the box and ready to mount.  The use of the microwave is a passing thought. The wires are 10 gauge and 10 foot runs to the controller. They will be mounted flat and will get minimal use during the day . I am fully equipped with propane for cooking and operating the water heater and frig along with the grill. I just need the batteries to stay up for the water pump , lights and will be operating a K cup coffee machine.

We use a Tassimo machine (similar) and it takes GOBS of power when making a cup of coffee.  In fact, it draws the same kind of power than the air conditioner does, though for only a short time.  Our 2500 watt inverter handles it, but the draw off the batteries to do that is significant.  Just be aware of that when putting your system together.  You gotta have BIG wires between batteries and the inverter, and the connections need to be clean and tight.

Frank.

I used 1 AWG Extreme Battery Cable, all copper stranded from Battery Cables USA , very flexible and double shielded and it runs 10 feet from the battery to the inverter.  So far it seems to work for my needs. I don't plan on trying to run the air though. But I have rigged it so that it runs my entire master panel now. But its a separate setup and isolated unless I plug in the main camper cable to a 30 amp receptacle box and tied to the inverter's remote connector from the standard 110 outlets.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sieldenchannel
Back
Top Bottom