Onan 2800 microlite starting issues

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dudlyjake

Hi, I recently purchased a 2010 Pleasureway with the Onan generator. I'm having trouble with starting it. I can press either the remote start button or the start button on the unit with the same results. Initially it will turn over and then cut out. I will continue to try to start it with it turning over briefly or not at all. If I'm patient it will eventually start and work fine.

There is a priming function that may solve the problem. Look to the manual to confirm but it should prime by holding the start button in the off position.

Other factors can affect how the generator starts and runs. Spark plug and air filter are 2 big ones. New for both is always a good starting point.

Sounds like a weak battery or corroded battery connections.

Sounds like a weak battery or corroded battery connections.

Good point.

Make sure your batteries are good and charged and that wire connections from the battery to the generator are clean.

If you think it may be a power problem, try running the chassis engine or being plugged in while starting the generator. If the generator seems to respond better in those circumstances, maybe a bad or low battery. Possibly bad connections too.

Thanks for the input. So I tried to start it again and it turned over for a good while but did not start. While it was turning over it quit. I have not been able to get it to turn over since.

First thing...pull the spark plug and check to see that it's not fuel fouled. If so, replace it.

After replacing when you start the generator if it shuts down after releasing the start switch try again but this time holed down the start switch. Does it continue to run?

If so...bad voltage regulator.

The computer will shut down the starter after a certain amount of time. Check the operators manual for that specification.

Get a new plug, gap it correctly and install it. Make sure fuel is getting to the combustionn chamber.

It is not good to operate the starter for long periods of time. Battery voltage will drop and amps will increase causing excessive heat to the starter motor. Eventually the starter will be toast. If the generator does not fire or start in 15 seconds or less, let it rest for a minute or 2 then try again. If another 15 seconds won't start the generator, troubleshooting must begin. If you have a good plug and a new air cleaner, fuel to the chamber and spark must be verified.

What are the hours and history of the generator?

Last edited:
The generator has 40 hrs on it. Initially when I got it when the remote or on board starter switch was pressed it would engage the starter briefly. When it did engage the light on the remote switch would show power. It would engage anywhere from say 1 second to 5 seconds and then quit. After trying multiple times it would eventually start. Now it won't even engage the starter. The only things I have checked are the battery connection and oil level.

If the starter is quiting between 1-5 seconds, bad starter, bad solenoid or bad power would be the prime suspects for an intermittent starter circuit.

Be sure you are getting proper voltage to the starter. There are several components and connections that must be working correctly to supply the needed amps to crank the generator.

Also look in the owners manual for fault code retrieval. There may be a code waiting to be read.

Back
Top Bottom