Onan 5500 valve lash

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Many of my motorcycles are shim & bucket. They rarely go out of adjustment and even when they do, it probably isn't enough to make any difference.

But I prefer the Harley M8 method. Hydraulic valves-nothing to adjust. HD does a few things the right way.

-Don- Auburn, CA
Heck, even my '82 Shovelhead had hydraulic tappets. There was an initial adjustment when assembling the motor, but after that I didn't have to worry about it.

Hydraulic lifters are for more low RPM machines. If you want performance and high RPM, you need solids. All of my British cars had solids and I converted all of my high performance hot rods to solids.

I thought there was more tappet noise then there should be. It ran quieter after adjustment.
I didn’t notice any difference in performance.
Not sure my hearing is up to the task, but I'll try listening to it. I've got the tools to do an adjustment but after looking at the video I'm thinking it would be nice to have someone familiar with the knowledge to be within listening range. ;)

Going to Q in January?

Hydraulic lifters are for more low RPM machines. If you want performance and high RPM, you need solids. All of my British cars had solids and I converted all of my high performance hot rods to solids.
I like the low revving engines the best. Those cheap sport bikes that sound like they are in first gear when on the freeway in 6th gear sound like junk, IMAO.

2,500 RPMs when on the freeway sound just right, IMAO. Such as with my Harley Road Glide Ultra. It's also the comfiest bike I own, and unlike most other Harleys, it isn't a nut-shaker at all.

-Don- Auburn, CA

With decades experience in the Porsche/VW air-cooled world hydros were generally frowned upon in horizontally opposed engines air-cooled engines. Putting in hydros teaches neglect. The only 100 percent way of identifying an issue in the head is via lash check. Hydros will only mask an issue until...

Boom!

Biggest reason for seat failure is related directly to valve guide/s. The biggest reason for a guide issue is related to 'stock adjuster' screw/s vs 'swivel foot' adjuster screw/s.

A swivel adjuster will eliminate side excess force on the valve. Which leads to burned valves and seat issue/s.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom