Onan Generator

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hi Barbara

There are a lot of really cheap Chinese knockoff carburetors on the market, if your mechanics have been buying the $75 knockoffs instead of the $300 Onan then it's very possible that you have had four bad carbs in a row.
I ran my generator with the $40.00 carburetor today for an hour. Never missed a beat. Engine running perfectly.

-Don- Auburn, CA

I had the same problem (would not start) with my Onan 5500 and took to the local Onan service center. They misdiagnosed the problem. They said it was the carburetor. Being as the carb was only a year old, I decided not to have the work done. I then took it to another shop and they found the problem. Although not common, the intake manifold had separated at the seam, not allowing the fuel to be sucked in. Possibly from a backfire. The separation was visible after taking off the air filter and looking just above the carb. After replacing the intake manifold, it now runs better than ever.

Last edited:
I am guilty of that myself. I will always review something that gives me a problem, but rarely when it works as advertised.
Not this time! Now, I am a little less guilty. I just went to Amazon to give my cheap $40.00 carb a five star review!

-Don- Auburn, CA

Back
Top Bottom