Onan Micro will not stay running

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bfason

My Onan Micro will start, run about ten minutes. and then shutdown.  I recently had the carb replaced and tune up done.  We went on the road and ran it to run the AC because of high heat.  The gen ran about two hours and shut down.  After about an hour we were able to restart it and it ran about an hour then shut down again.  After that everytime we crank it the run time seems to be shorter each time.  The last time was only about ten minutes. or so.  It shuts down just like it was shut down with the switch, and not starved out for gas.  Any suggestions?  Thank you

Does your Onan have a light on the starter switch at the generator? If so when it fails, go out and look at the light. It will be flashing a code. Usually two digits. Look in your manual and there is a chart explaining what the code means. It should give you some idea of what the failure is about. Sounds to me like it might be an overtemperature problem. May be drawing too much current. Only a guess on my part. :)

They will also shut down if the oil is low or if foaming reduces the density of the oil to th epoint where the sesnor thinks it is low. Check the oil level and make sure it is to the full mark but not over-full. Overfilling with oil is one cause of foaming.

Checked the oil, (just had it changed), and found it to be just below the full mark.  Great info as I didn't know that an overfill would cause it to foam.  Thank you for that info, I have logged it in my Onan notebook for future reference.
Tomorrow I will check the light codes and see what it tells me.
Thank you both for taking the time to assist me, I appreciate it very much.
This is a great site and have enjoyed many hours of reading already.
Thank you both again.
Billy

Billy,

Be sure to let us know what you find. If that doesn't do it perhaps someone else will have some ideas.

Back
Top Bottom