one last safety check before leaving wont hurt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rbTN

Was headed out for the weekend, pickup the the travel trailer from the storage lot, checked the tire pressure before leaving all was good for the drive to the house.

Got things loaded and ready. I follow the rule I saw on here once that I go around and check things until I find no issues. I completed the last review of things, started the truck, loaded the dog and something said look one more time...

I found a nice little present on the rear drivers side tire - it looks alot worse when weight is on it. Not a huge bulge but enough I don't want to drive on it, esp the 45 min drive on a 65 mpg highway to the campground. The tires are only 4 yr old eco-trails tires, all look good but this one decided to split a belt it looks like.

Camping delayed - now the search for tires, I like the GY Endurance but they only come in LRE and that would mean new wheels as well. I could go with the Carlisle, they have a LRD and my wheels are rated at 2600 lbs.

It will most likely come down to who has what in stock in the morning. But thanking my guardian angle, could have been a really exciting ride for me and my dog.

moral of the story - if your gut says take another safety check - do it, it can't hurt.

Attachments

• 20190719_175648 sm1.jpg
    20190719_175648 sm1.jpg
    188 KB · Views: 65
Rene T said:
May be time to invest in a TPMS.  Temperature/Pressure/Monitoring/System.

funny you mention TPMS - I was looking at them the last couple nights again but have not bit the bullet yet. I'm now rethinking that but the new tires will take the funds, and more, I was planning for the TPMS

You do not have to inflate the load range E to maximum sidewall pressure, if you stop at maximum wheel pressure you will have a much better situation than the original junk.

A TPMS wouldn't have helped here, other than letting the owner know what he already figured out a second or so earlier when that tire let go.  I am a big fan of TMPS but they can't see everything.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

I like the GY Endurance but they only come in LRE and that would mean new wheels as well. I could go with the Carlisle, they have a LRD and my wheels are rated at 2600 lbs.
No problem - just limit the inflation to the max the wheel is rated for. As long as that is not below the minimum inflation for that size of the Endurance, that will be fine.

Mark_K5LXP said:
A TPMS wouldn't have helped here, other than letting the owner know what he already figured out a second or so earlier when that tire let go.  I am a big fan of TMPS but they can't see everything.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

You are 100% right.  The OP was lucky to have noticed it before getting on the highway and that's rare. That bubble could have been on the inside and he would not have seen it. Or the bubble could have started as soon as he drove out of their driveway. Most people find out about it after the tire blows and they drive several miles before the tire starts to fall apart and does much damage.  Don't ask me how I know.

Back
Top Bottom