Opinion of the best working RV electrical system?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dusty Traveler

Over the last few weeks, I have been trying to come up to speed with different RV stand-alone electrical systems.
First, I had no idea there were so many systems. Now I have the Lithionics, but sadly on a Mercedes-Bends 24' footer. I truly wish they made an MB in 144WB, as it would already be parked in the driveway.

During my short review, I don't feel one foot more in knowledge. You have Volta, Dragonfly, ECO Trek, and Battle Born which is also partly Lithionics.

I'm looking for a few things: Simplicity, long-lasting, little maintenance, and ease of use.
Thanks for any help!

The first step is figuring out how many items you want to run at the same time and add up their current draws.

-Don- Reno, NV
Morning Don,

No, I'm not building a system, just trying to understand the few that are already out there working. It's not about electrical load and output.

The few I listed are already in service. I'm pondering buying another RV (144WB) and wonder which system would be best for me based on the four points you outlined above.

My Coachmen is a Lithionics System

1. Simplicity.
Meaning I push a button and it's on, I can let the system set for up to 10 hours, running A/C and whatever I need. To me this is great.
2. Long-lasting. 10-hours of stand-alone time is incredibly good, and I could add another battery bank of 630Ah and make it 20 hours of stand-alone time.
3. Little maintenance. If I just leave the VAN parked, I don't have to be concerned. Mostly for a good 3 weeks and sometimes for much longer if I leave the solar Panels on. A good month and a half until it drops down to 33% SOC and I need to recharge the system back up to 100%
4. Ease of use. For myself, this is an extremely easy system to manage.

Sadly, Coachmen does not build on an MB 144WB only the 170WB. This link may be of some help if you look at page 39 Click Here

Last edited:
Fundamentally the issue here is that Lithium / LiFePo4 battery systems are evolving quickly and are just now crossing from the early adopter into the mainstream product category. 5 Years ago LiFePo4 battery systems were a bit like flat panel TV's were in 2002, you know they existed, have seen a few, but they were mostly novelty items, by 2005 you likely knew someone that owned one, and they were showing up in stores everywhere, it is now 2007 and bugs have mostly been worked out, though calling something that is 5 inches thick a "flat" screen is still stretching it a bit, and you know next years model will be leaps and bounds better than this years model.

This issue when it comes to RV Lithium systems is that they don't have the update cycle rate of those flat panel TV's, the result is you see systems being sold today that are virtually unchanged from 2 years ago along side of the bleeding edge new products that are just now being introduced. Leaving you with the choice of deciding between the trusted, but clunky 2 year old design, and the unknown bugs of the new ones.

Like flat panel tv's the choice of which one to buy that will not feel hopelessly outdated quickly will likely improve over time as this technology matures. I converted my RV over to LiFePo4 in November of 2021, and am overall happy with it, but can also see the improvements in what is available today in mid 2024 as a step up all around, and I know my setup will be nothing unusual in another couple of years.

HAHA Yes, one of the first systems I checked out. Have you seen the newer MB Models 144WB? Revel and Sanctuary 19L or 19P. In my opinion, we have issues with both models, and why, I stepped away from them back in 2000. You're correct as they have made improvements. But gone in another direction that do not meet our needs. please just the systems I listed thanks for your feedback.

NOP, I have seen a good system for the younger folks. But I'm focused on stealthy and only show systems that reflect that. NO to LiFePo4 battery systems until they can change their look.
Just me but Revel and I see a Sardine can. I see Sanctuary and I thought Survivalist Van. Thanks, as stated they just don't work for us.

Last edited:
The "best" in the context of the OP's paradigm is proprietary or commissioned systems, what the vendor decides is what the consumer gets. Even if that ends up being a match for features and performance, to Isaac-1's point, how dynamic is that as features and needs change over time? Not the answer the OP is looking for, but the best future-proofing is with systems that are user configurable. I commonly see posts on RV forums about "panels" or "systems" that require factory-only software or firmware updates to do relatively basic service functions. You only own what you can fix and in this day and time it seems ridiculous to be dependent on a third party to administer your equipment. Like many gadgets these days the lifespan of these things is not great but in the context of RV's where a control system is deeply integrated into the vehicle, swapping out one system for another is not trivial or inexpensive. The last thing I would want is an "all in one" mega controller unless I had direct access to all settings and diagnostics. So from my perspective the "best" system would be comprised of functional blocks that the user can control and ultimately replace or upgrade as needed. Something like what Isaac-1 rolled, even if not 'leading edge' it's something that he has intimate knowledge of and is readily supported/enhanced with off the shelf components. Yes, it does move the design and operating responsibility from the vendor to the owner, but with that responsibility comes better control and reduced risk of obsolescence.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

I'm with Mark - the "best system" is one that is tailored to the features of the RV in use and the needs of its owner. Typically the RV manufacturer selects a primary component supplier which is supplemented with additional components that fit well with the RV & its features. From the manufacturer's perspective, system cost is also a major parameter.

Since you are limiting your "best" to something that is appropriate for an MB 144WB and meets your particular criteria, you surely have a better feel for the answer than I might offer.

Mark B.

You do make some good points and I would enjoy a PLUG and Play system. My dilemma is that I cannot pull the handles for my Floorplan out of my Galleria 170WB and slide it into a 144WB or I would have.

With the systems I have outlined at the top of this post. I'm focused on a stealthy look and appearance with a good electrical system. I think and feel the market for us older folks has jumped into VAN Travels over air, eating dinners in the van vs eating at a restaurant. Drugs have wiped out a large number of males from age 18 to 45, this is a fact. So 4X4 may have been a thing, but I see it slowed as well as youth buying a Class B. Like it or not the Snowbirds, Condominium owners, and general travelers. Like myself are moving into VAN more and more. Some HOAs won't allow a campervan that looks like a utility tool to park in the condominium parking lot. Yet a 90-year-old can still run out and buy a 40-plus-foot Class A motorhome with just a DL. Aside from the power packages, in the van outside issues have to be addressed. We have a 24'3" Galleria, yet some Hotel stayovers will not permit a 170WB, or sometimes added cost an you park with the BUSES. Where a 144WB seems to work just fine without added researching an overnight stay.

My point is a stealthy-looking 144WB with the Power packages outlined above. Thanks I enjoyed reading your post good points. But little on power systems as outlined at the top of the thread, but informative.

I'm with Mark - the "best system" is one that is tailored to the features of the RV in use and the needs of its owner. Typically the RV manufacturer selects a primary component supplier which is supplemented with additional components that fit well with the RV & its features. From the manufacturer's perspective, system cost is also a major parameter.

Since you are limiting your "best" to something that is appropriate for an MB 144WB and meets your particular criteria, you surely have a better feel for the answer than I might offer.
Thanks Gary,

I do enjoy reading your post on the subject of electrical vans. You have a real insight to the packages. We're looking more strongly at the AI-19e system for many reasons. I do have a lot of issues, but sadly it may have to work even if I have to add $24,000 to the cost of the power systems package. Thanks, Gray always good stuff.

I guess the executive summary of my post is you're on a bit of a snipe hunt. Seems a bit inefficient to trade through RV's just to get the power control interface or power system you want, and secondarily, one that might offer a parking opportunity on occasion. Coming from a world of systems design I learned decades ago what isn't there can't break. That doesn't necessarily mean doing without, it just means deciding what you really do want and making that as foolproof and robust as practical, with minimal user intervention and distraction. I think in the quest to appear feature-rich, RV builders try to create value through complexity. Like motorized shades, "mood lighting", comprehensive climate control and such with multipage graphical touch screens, when during typical use what value does that really add? You gotta be a NASA flight controller just to run your RV. The higher you go up the integration scale the more complex, expensive and less reliable all this becomes (who's gonna fix this thing 10 years from now?) so all you amount to as a consumer is revenue source and product reviewer. If all one does is sit around in their RV all day and futz with the systems then I guess user interface is paramount, but to me that's an added layer of complexity and distraction from my purpose of having an RV. I guess in your quest of power system interface nirvana the first step I would take is to quantify the problem. What does the ideal system look like and what does it do? Of ones you've experienced, what was positive and negative about them? As Gary correctly points out, what you get in a commodity RV is whatever the marketing department decides is the least they can get away with. Once you quantify the goal, if "stock" doesn't cut it then you're looking at aftermarket which is probably the path of least resistance of getting what you really want, vs swapping out RV's.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

As a counter point to what Mark said, I look at these highly integrated systems and ask, could I continue my current trip if X,Y, or Z component were to fail. See example of all in one control panels that are so popular on newer RV's they control everything from the lights, to the air conditioner, to starting the generator. What do you do if that touch screen fails?

As for what to do when touch panels fail, the best one is one widely used. There will be third party replacements made. Our 2018 Grand Cherokee has a central screen that controls almost everything in the vehicle. It started delaminating in one corner, and the delamination spread over a year until it was mostly unusable. We were able to buy a third party replacement that was plug and play compatible for half the price of the OEM part. I think the same would hold true for any of the integrated systems that are used widely today.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TwinStater
Back
Top Bottom