Opinion: Remove or keep above-driver cabinets on Class-C? And replace with bed/desk/storage.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SunFun

I have a Class-C motorhome, 31ft.

The area above the driver-seat is an entertainment-center and cabinets, but not very useful to me personally as is. I just removed the TV. My initial idea was to lay a board across the opening & use the area as a desk. However, with the TV removed & a clearer picture of what's back there, I'm thinking about gutting it & repurposing it as a desk/storage, or spare-bed.

Considerations:
  • Resale Value: Assuming it doesn't look terrible & has a bed there on resale, would it negatively impact the resale value in a meaningful way? (It's a 2006 & reasonably good condition, but I paid about $25k for)
  • Bed: The dinette & couch convert to "beds" but are only 67-inches long, and not that useful for adults. Having that space as a spare-bed (I'd probably sleep there & let guests use the queen) would actually let me have guests that are taller than 5-ft.
  • Work/Desk: Having that entire area as a desk would make a sizeable desk. I could even use the area behind the monitors as storage, though I will need to store the mattress too when not in use.
  • Other: Are there any other considerations I'm missing? I doubt any of that wood in the cabinet area is structural. I'll probably save the doors, because I noticed some wasted space under the kitchen-sink-area.
  • Move facia: I suppose I could also move that entire facia back as far as it goes (before the roof slopes) and just have much smaller cabinets back there too, although not sure where I'll get some doors for that empty spot where the TV was. Doing that wouldn't be of much value to me, but might help with resale.
Thoughts?

20211106_113707.jpg

Look at this video around the 4 minute spot and see if you like the look above the seats without the cabinetry.
It looks fine to me personally & thanks for sharing. I suppose the harder part is guessing what others might think, and/or if it would impact market-value at all.

From a personal perspective, it seems like in it's current form, it's a lot of wasted space.

Well, we don't have cabinets. And we throw stuff up there to keep out of our way or have grandkids sleep up there.

We store stuff up there. Anything that is extra, and CLEAN that you wonder if you might ever need. You would be amazed at what you might end up keeping up there.

If you are worried about selling.........sell now, get something you like and don't bother modifying your unit at all.

Well, we don't have cabinets. And we throw stuff up there to keep out of our way or have grandkids sleep up there.

We store stuff up there. Anything that is extra, and CLEAN that you wonder if you might ever need. You would be amazed at what you might end up keeping up there.
Removing those cabinets would make the space so much more usable for me & a huge boost. It would probably make me much happier with my purchase. And I absolutely do need a desk-space very soon, so I can resume my work.

However...
If you are worried about selling.........sell now, get something you like and don't bother modifying your unit at all.
...after about 1-week in this RV, I've discovered several things that I'd change or look for if I bought another RV.

* More tow capacity (about zero), or better gas-mileage (than 5 to 6 mpg)
* Slightly more storage
* A good spot for a desk
* A spare adult-sized sleeping spot.
* A couch that doesn't suck.
* Slightly larger kitchen & refrigerator.
* Better batteries
* Usable cabinet/closet space. Less inaccessible/wasted space.
* Auto-leveling jacks.

That laundry-list doesn't mean my RV is intolerable, but there's a lot to be desired. So your advice, is advice I don't want to hear, but probably need to hear and think about.

There are a few other areas of indecisiveness, such as maybe I'll buy land, maybe I'll get a 5th wheel, maybe I will/won't get a motorcycle, etc. Any of those could affect what's the right decision for me long term. I might have a much better idea 6-months out what I want than now.

In the mean time, I don't mind some mild, relatively inexpensive DIY renovations. It would be good practice too.

Last edited:
I decided I wanted the extra space badly enough. Well....

20211107_075221.jpg20211107_075233.jpg

Yikes!!!! That drawer went straight in the trash. Vacuumed up what I could, and am currently airing out that area (and my RV). I don't see any signs of a roof-leak yet & the area wasn't wet (despite recent rains). My hope is that something spilled in the drawer. Once it airs out a little more, I'll remove that back-panel and clean up the wood as best I can. Initially, 95% of the damage appears to have been to the drawer, and the wood under is ugly, but structurally sound.

My initial plan (before discovering the water-damage) was to basically create a platform on top of the existing flat surface, using a a layer of flat-wood & then something like hard-wood on top. Is that still a viable plan, assuming there's no active leak? I'd be somewhat "papering-over" old water damage.

My old RV was a Class C with the a similar over cab set up. I liked it that way. My 2 cents worth is that it is totally dependent on the owner and usage. I was a single guy at the time and had no need of the extra bunk. Resale value depends on the next buyer. Is it a family with children or an older couple with a dog? The answer to your question is: To each their own.

I was about to say that your rig almost certainly came with the cabinets as an option to a front bunk. Some people do not ever plan on needing the sleeping space, so they prefer the extra storage of cabinets.

Note that the cushions in the video come in two pieces, so you do not want to just toss a board or two over the opening. I have a similar setup and when the bunk is down I am constantly hitting my head on it while driving. The better solution is to attach something solid to the bottom of one of the bunk cushions/mattresses that will fill the hole when someone is using it, but can be folded up most of the time.

What is nice is that my bunk area is actually slightly longer than a typical queen bed, so even my really tall adult son can sleep there.

Also, if you decide you still want a TV someday, you can put it up there at the foot of the bunk on a power arm.

One of my helpful neighbors just showed me several places around the outside (not roof, but sides) that need to be re-sealed. A second opinion thought maybe there was a large water spill in that cabinet. Either way, I've ordered some dicor, and will learn some sealing.

I also unscrewed what I could, and then tore through there with a jigsaw, when I got impatient and couldn't find more screws. That cabinet on the left was DISGUSTING as well, so perhaps it was a sign that it's time to change.

20211107_130723.jpg20211107_134017.jpg20211107_134053.jpg

I'm loving the extra space! The "entertainment center" created a LOT of wasted space; everything behind the TV, and a space behind the center-cabinet was empty and unused.

The rotted wood appears surface deep, so some sanding might clean up the mold. For appearance, I was already going to add a platform on top of this, so getting rid of the mold is good enough.

My old RV was a Class C with the a similar over cab set up. I liked it that way. My 2 cents worth is that it is totally dependent on the owner and usage. I was a single guy at the time and had no need of the extra bunk. Resale value depends on the next buyer. Is it a family with children or an older couple with a dog? The answer to your question is: To each their own.
I read that as "about net-zero" but "it depends." I don't feel bad about ripping it out.

I was about to say that your rig almost certainly came with the cabinets as an option to a front bunk. Some people do not ever plan on needing the sleeping space, so they prefer the extra storage of cabinets.
You actually get MUCH worse storage in terms of space, but I know what you mean.

Speaking of storage, I'm quite tempted to get rid of the swivel-chair right next to the entrance & replace it with some large cabinets or storage. It's about a 30x33x60 in space I could do something else with. (one thing at a time though).
Note that the cushions in the video come in two pieces, so you do not want to just toss a board or two over the opening. I have a similar setup and when the bunk is down I am constantly hitting my head on it while driving. The better solution is to attach something solid to the bottom of one of the bunk cushions/mattresses that will fill the hole when someone is using it, but can be folded up most of the time.
Right, I was thinking the forward section would be fixed, and rear-section would be removable, or perhaps on a hinge (or both). In the short-term, I'm thinking the space will be about 50% storage & 50% standing-desk. The bed I'll worry about later.
What is nice is that my bunk area is actually slightly longer than a typical queen bed, so even my really tall adult son can sleep there.

Also, if you decide you still want a TV someday, you can put it up there at the foot of the bunk on a power arm.
You could fit quite a large mattress up there. And like you said, a TV is always an option. I have a lot of those sort of swivel-arm/tv-stand/etc kind of mounts already.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MoeHoward
Back
Top Bottom