Opinions wanted on Fleetwood Pace Arrow

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
S

seilerbird

We are full-timers currently shopping for a Class A and several people who own a Class A have told me not to buy a Fleetwood product, but they don't mention why I shouldn't buy one. I have been looking at the Pace Arrow 36D and I am very impressed. Anyone have any comments on this particular model or Fleetwood in general?

Our prior coach was a Pace Arrow, and I'd have no hesitation in recommending Fleetwood products. We have many happy fleetwood owners on the forum, and I can't recall reading any comments suggesting otherwise.

As with many manufacturers, Fleetwood produces a wide range of products. At the top end of their range are the American Coach products owned by several staff members. Every one of those coaches I've been in gave me a "wow, this is nice" reaction.

A few months ago I purchased my first Class A, a 1990 Fleetwood Southwind, 36', and although I've only put about 3,000 miles on it, I'm quite happy with my purchase.

Steve

We have owned two Bounders and currently have an American Eagle and have had excellent service from all.  I also would not hesitate to recommend Fleetwood products.

I think a Pace is a fine gas coach. That doesn't mean it will be trouble free, but no RV is. The Pace 36D (full wall slide) is a sweet coach and I'm quite sure you will enjoy it.

I have a 93 Pace and love it. Not sure I would want to live in it full time though. Pace is built to be a partime (weekend/vacation) coach.
All in all though, for the money, it is a nicely appointed coach with lots of storage.
It has many things you don't see in all coaches, lights in bays, plugins in some bays, on/off batt switches, lockable shore connections, etc.

Woody

I think Fleetwood builds a great motorhome. I like the fact they are innovative with floorplans, hold their value, have more service facilities, etc.  In my county, there are probably half a dozen factory authorized Fleetwood service places to choose from..... and one Winnebago.... and one or two Monaco.

You can't go wrong with the Pace, though at 36ft I'd be looking used diesel.

i have a 2005 pace arrow 36d have had problems with main slide out 2 bad motors a bad circut board and the place we purchased it has no clue how to fix the problem.service after sales is very bad the service order rep does not seem to care about anything. other than that the coach is very nice.

We had a 37' 2004 Pace Arrow - bought it brand new. The interior was absolutely wonderful and we loved it. We never had a problem with it, yet we traded it for a diesel. The reason?? It was under powered for the Jeep we are towing and for the kind of traveling we do. Where there is a mountain; there we go and we are half of the year on the road traveling long distances.
In the end you have to decide how you want to travel and where. Those are big factors to consider, before buying.

Mariekie

:D

Lately I've been looking at a LOT of older (let's say from 1989 to 1999) Pace Arrows on eBay. These are P30's (I assume) with 454 Chev gas V8's.

I would be considering one in the 30' to 35' range to use in the winter in the southwest, mostly in the Rio Grande valley of Texas. Although we are fulltiming, I can't see us putting more than a couple of thousand miles a year on it & most years less than that. The going rate for them without slideouts seems to hover around $10k which seems like pretty good value to me. Sometimes a later model one will bring closer to $15k.

We don't want slideouts for sure. The gas genny is nice to have because our home campground often experiences power outages. There is more than enough room in one of these for us and we don't want a huge entertainment center, washer/dryer, home theater, granite countertops & those kinds of frills. Any unit we own would never see below freezing weather at any time but it might sit empty all summer under a carport in 90 to 100 degree temps. Simplicity & serviceability are real good things to have in any RV, IMHO.

Is there anything really horrible I need to know about these before I investigate further? We are current Fleetwood TT owners and we are under no delusions about the quality level (?) of Fleetwood's lower line units.

John Alldredge, Class A wannabe, maybe?

Late 80's and early-mid 90's Fleetwoods had a tendency to suffer delamination of the fiberglass sidewalls due to a less-than-superior gluing process, so look at the skin closely for raised areas (sometimes called bubbles). Actually, it is not a huge problem if it is glue failure rather than a leak that caused it to de-bond - we had a 96 Southwind that with a couple such spots and never bothered to repair them. You had to look close to see them and the luan plywood backing was solid, so not big deal.

Southwinds and Paces (they are all but identical except for color schemes and upholstery) of that vintage came on both Ford F53 and Chevrolet P30 chassis. Personally I favor the Ford, but the Chevy is probably OK if you replace the crappy steering bell crank with a Henderson Supersteer unit. The Chevy also tended to overheat and crack heads or exhaust manifolds, but some of the Fords did that as well. It was not an unusual problem in that vintage of RV, regardless of who built the body on the chassis.

Engines and transmissions got better in the mid-90's and I would opt for a 95-96  over the earlier ones, even though you don't plan to travel much. But if you aren't traveling much, why buy a motorhome at all? A trailer would make more sense if you park it most of the year. You don't even need a tow vehicle - have a professionally moved when you want it relocated. Leaving a motorized chassis to set for months at a time is a maintenance headache - the simplicity of a trailer is much preferred in that scenario.

RV Roamer said:
Late 80's and early-mid 90's Fleetwoods had a tendency to suffer delamination of the fiberglass sidewalls due to a less-than-superior gluing process, so look at the skin closely for raised areas (sometimes called bubbles). Actually, it is not a huge problem if it is glue failure rather than a leak that caused it to de-bond - we had a 96 Southwind that with a couple such spots and never bothered to repair them. You had to look close to see them and the luan plywood backing was solid, so not big deal.

Southwinds and Paces (they are all but identical except for color schemes and upholstery) of that vintage came on both Ford F53 and Chevrolet P30 chassis. Personally I favor the Ford, but the Chevy is probably OK if you replace the crappy steering bell crank with a Henderson Supersteer unit. The Chevy also tended to overheat and crack heads or exhaust manifolds, but some of the Fords did that as well. It was not an unusual problem in that vintage of RV, regardless of who built the body on the chassis.

Engines and transmissions got better in the mid-90's and I would opt for a 95-96  over the earlier ones, even though you don't plan to travel much. But if you aren't traveling much, why buy a motorhome at all? A trailer would make more sense if you park it most of the year. You don't even need a tow vehicle - have a professionally moved when you want it relocated. Leaving a motorized chassis to set for months at a time is a maintenance headache - the simplicity of a trailer is much preferred in that scenario.

Yeah, I would greatly favor a Ford F53 myself but I'm not seeing many of these on eBay at the moment for some reason. I was aware of the overheating problems and the resulting trouble with the exhaust manifolds. I think I could spot this when I check out the unit but I might be rating myself too high here!

The advantage of the motorhome of this vintage for us is low price. Being able to move on short notice is a consideration also. The area where we spend the winter has lots of parks for winter Texans but they are getting sold for development all the time, too.

Most likely, we'll end up buying a 30 foot or larger TT for our purposes but I thought the Class A an interesting possible option

John Alldredge

A Good Example of what I was referring to:

A 1991 Pace Arrow 33L (no slides which is what I'd prefer), P30 with a 454 Chev gas TBI V8 and 18,500 miles just got bid up to $10,700 on eBay. There was a lot of action on this from several bidders.

This is mighty cheap living, IMHO & would suit my purposes well (a winter home in a south Texas seniors RV park). We have local propane delivery onsite from several vendors at our park so the built in propane tank is no hardship.

For this price, I could live with a bit of deterioration, delamination, replacements & general maintenance associated with long periods of inactivity.

I get the impression that at the moment nobody wants older P30's without slides and it seems to me there are plenty of nice ones out there going begging. Good for me if that's the case.

John Alldredge, the CHEAP full-timer

It's true - very few people want non-slide or even single slide RVs. And the older P30 chassis is favored less than the Ford as well. And most of the market is looking at newer rigs, since most don't trust old mechanical things and they are in lust with more recent styling anyway. All this combines to really depress the price on early-mid 90's rigs.

For $12-15k I'll bet you could get one 3-5 years newer too.

I have a 1990 Fleetwood Pace Arrow and love it..I have done a good bit of work to it putting a new ceiling in and new carpet and curtains and front brake pads and fixing to change out the shock's front and rear..Does anyone know if this MH has jack levers, a couple of my friends and I went camping for the frist time for me one of the MH was 1988 fleetwood pace arrow and the other 1986 Holiday and both of theirs had Jack levers did they stop putting levers in the 1990...And if so were would they be theirs no buttons on my dash or by my seat...BC

grits58, this thread is over 3 years old.  I'd recommend you start a new thread here in the "Motorhomes" area if you want to ask questions about your rig specifically.

Funny, a thread started by Tom resurfacing, asking about a coach with a full wall slide. 

As to a 1990 Pace having levelers, just look underneath the coach, do you see a big 'foot', one or two up front, twi near the rear wheels.  At the dash or on the floor, buttons on dash on a plate, ot a joy stick on the floor near driver seat.  If you have onwed the coach for awhile and never noticed, you probably don't have them.

Back
Top Bottom