Our Electric indoor Galleria Li3, and making Coffee?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dusty Traveler

For the last two years, I have been trying to find the best way to make a good cup of Coffee. [_]>"""" Boiling water seems the fastest, as we have a Microwave and induction cooktop. Being nearly 80, years-old I have made Coffee in many different ways. Cowboy Coffee is a Pot on fire with Coffee grounds boiling, when ready dump ice cold water on top, and coffee grounds fall in the water and serve. French Press is a true love. When the water temperature hits 195 degrees, drop in Coffee Grounds. Then let them float around after mixing in boiling water for 3 minutes. Lastly, press the cooked grounds to the bottom of the (Franch Press) pot. Then living in Florida most of my life another wonderful Coffee is Cuben "Coffee Caleche" with buttered Cuben Bread, oh so good together. HOW DO YOU MAKE COFFEE IN AN ELECTRIC VEHICLE? I will most likely try them all. Thanks.

Trust me I do.....coffee time wired.jpg

I have used percolators, automatic drip, "pod/disc" (like Keuring or Tasimo) Melita pour over and French Press (and at least one other) Default is auto-drip now days

There's no life B 4 Coffee (Every time I key up a Dstar radio. that is what I send in the "TX-Message" field)

I have used percolators, automatic drip, "pod/disc" (like Keuring or Tasimo) Melita pour over and French Press (and at least one other) Default is auto-drip now days

There's no life B 4 Coffee (Every time I key up a Dstar radio. that is what I send in the "TX-Message" field)
YES, the percolator I can still remember the TV commercial showing a percolator nearing the end of boiling point. My mother had one and I think my baby bottle had a touch of coffee. Truly you can't go wrong as I would add a touch of salt on top of the grounds to smooth out the sharp spots in the coffee taste. But sadly in the Li3 VAN, you don't want to drop your "State of Charge" - SOC any faster than you have to and that kills my watts in the van. But not as fast as, say a Hair dryer at 1400 watts. This is why I boil water in the microwave and slowly boil on the induction cooktop with coffee grounds, and all the time I'm thinking, there has to be a better way. A faster, way without drawing a lot of watts.coffee cup smile and me.jpg

With the Cybertruck, you could plug in multiple coffee makers...or perhaps run a whole coffee stand. For a few days.

Screenshot 2024-04-25 at 07.38.01.png

In fact, while you're at it, make some cookies. Range not included. But the Cybertruck will actually power a household range with oven..

Screenshot 2024-04-25 at 07.39.51.png

I boil water in the microwave and slowly boil on the induction cooktop with coffee grounds

Well, you're certainly not winning any awards for efficiency if energy conservation is your concern. Microwaves are somewhere around 50-60% efficient, induction cooktops are somewhat better at around 80%. If you're power those with an inverter, there's another 10-15% lost on top of it. If you're going to heat water it's nearly 100% efficient with a resistive heating element. When I went through the coffee debate with DW, I refused to install all new electrics and batteries just so she could run a goofy keurig, so I learned to make it for her on the stove. I can appreciate some aspects of coffee snobbery but when it comes to heating water you'd have a hard time convincing me the energy source could possibly make a difference.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

Funny, I'm not looking to replace my Coachmen Galleria Campervan to have a Truck that can. Funny. Now I know Winnebago has built an electrical Campervan. and the eRV2 Click Here What we have is the Li3 (which has 630aH meaning 10 hours standby time) Galleria Li3 Click Here sadly turning on the OVEN/Induction Cooktop pulls 17000 Watts. That is a lot to make boiling water. I am looking closely at the newer Galleria has 12600 Ah so 20 hours of standby or boondocking without a recharge. Here you can see that we have two induction cooktops and a convection oven. I'm looking for a simple way to make a pot of coffee without using a lot of watts like a hair dryer. tables 005.jpg

Do you have an inverter in your camper? If so, what can it put out?

Or, do you have access to a 12v power source off one of the batteries? Is there a reason a 12v coffee maker / hot pot wouldn't work?

Funny, I'm not looking to replace my Coachmen Galleria Campervan to have a Truck that can. Funny. Now I know Winnebago has built an electrical Campervan. and the eRV2 Click Here What we have is the Li3 (which has 630aH meaning 10 hours standby time) Galleria Li3 Click Here sadly turning on the OVEN/Induction Cooktop pulls 17000 Watts. That is a lot to make boiling water. I am looking closely at the newer Galleria has 12600 Ah so 20 hours of standby or boondocking without a recharge. Here you can see that we have two induction cooktops and a convection oven. I'm looking for a simple way to make a pot of coffee without using a lot of watts like a hair dryer. View attachment 172530
I boil water in the microwave and slowly boil on the induction cooktop with coffee grounds

Well, you're certainly not winning any awards for efficiency if energy conservation is your concern. Microwaves are somewhere around 50-60% efficient, induction cooktops are somewhat better at around 80%. If you're power those with an inverter, there's another 10-15% lost on top of it. If you're going to heat water it's nearly 100% efficient with a resistive heating element. When I went through the coffee debate with DW, I refused to install all new electrics and batteries just so she could run a goofy keurig, so I learned to make it for her on the stove. I can appreciate some aspects of coffee snobbery but when it comes to heating water you'd have a hard time convincing me the energy source could possibly make a difference.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM
Very good, as you stated what I posted above is much better. I'm looking for a better way to make a pot of Coffee in an Electric Campervan. There is nothing "snobbery or looking for an award" Here. As for your suggestion not to use a "Keurig," I was considering this, as a possibility while on the roadway. It was nice in Class A to flip on the gas and make a pot of coffee. Thinking that way I could hook up a small gas grill and make a pot outside the van. "interesting and still thinking, Thanks for your feedback as it was helpful and I mean you no harm or am I making a pun nor am I trying to quibble with anyone in this forum. I forgive your tone as it was unnecessary to make your point.

HOW DO YOU MAKE COFFEE IN AN ELECTRIC VEHICLE?
I seem to be missing something here.

How do you make coffee in an ICE vehicle? I mean car, not RV.

What is the difference? Unless you make the coffee from the heat of the engine or something like that.

BTW, most EVs also have a 12-volt battery. But I am not sure what would happen if you put a heavy load on it, such as an inverter. It could be detected and give an error message or something.

-Don- Auburn, CA

Since you have 120 VAC available from the standard Xantrex 2000W Pure Sine Wave Inverter, you could do what I do and just use an ordinary basic Mr Coffee drip coffeemaker with no bells and whistles, just an On/Off switch.

I'm looking for a simple way to make a pot of coffee without using a lot of watts like a hair dryer.

There's watts, and there's watt hours. Yes, a hair dryer or a high draw appliance can draw a lot of watts relative to the capacity of the batteries but their duration of operation is short - typically just a few minutes. This translates to modest amount of power removed from your batteries. So I guess the upshot of this discussion would be whether you heat a quart of water resistively (nearly 100% efficient), or via appliance (50-75% efficient) is a difference without a distinction - your actual power used is a small fraction of your storage capacity. The only way to use any less is to use a different energy source like propane and not touch your batteries at all.

Now, the question comes up how your batteries are charged. There are too many options in the brochure you linked to know for sure just what you have specifically. Generally house batteries are charged via shore power or if the engine is running. In the case of the latter, you *could* run the engine while making coffee and end up a net zero for battery discharge. If you have the solar option, odds are your coffee power would be replenished in a few sunny hours. But unless you're operating off grid/extended boondocking, or need to keep a critical medical device running where you need to conserve every possible watt hour, I don't see much of an issue just doing it the way you are. You have batteries to run your stuff, so make your coffee in silence and enjoy the capabilities your RV offers you. Don't sweat the peak watts, you bought that capability so just use it.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

Since you have 120 VAC available from the standard Xantrex 2000W Pure Sine Wave Inverter, you could do what I do and just use an ordinary basic Mr Coffee drip coffeemaker with no bells and whistles, just an On/Off switch.
Okay, so I jumped into my go-to for best. :: Coffee Makers Click Here Country Kitchen:: I'll keep you posted. Thinking as I'm not sure I can say the name in this forum. I'm going to look for the approved pot. Thanks for everyone's feedback and tips.

Last edited:
I think this belongs in the motorhomes discussion. Or the coffee thread, in the homemaking forum? Not that it's a bad topic, it just doesn't really concern EVs/Electric Vehicles.

Having done a bit more homework. The induction cooktop will boil water 1 minute and 30 seconds. Cooks up much faster than the conventional oven or gas stove. Here is a video on the Induction cooktop. Click Here for the Video a short but great intro and overview of GAS, vs ELECTRIC, vs INDUCTION to the convection oven and how it works for your family's safety. In our Greta, a Galleria, Li3, 24FL-floorplan and has two induction cooktops making Spaghetti and Sauce.

Last edited:
Agree this topic really doesn’t have anything to do with electric vehicles. But to continue the discussion, some things are too important to be cheap on. After years of making coffee every way except with pods, we just use a fabulous espresso machine. Grinds the beans, heats the water, makes the coffee, then heats and foams the milk for the perfect latte. The entire process for two of us uses about 20-25 amp hours of my batteries based on what my Victron monitor shows. I could cut that down if I unplugged it since it has a standby mode active for a couple of hours after use. Umm. I ought to plug in my KillaWatt meter and see for sure. Well worth the power for a luscious cup.

Last edited:
Having done a bit more homework. The induction cooktop will boil water 1 minute and 30 seconds.

You need a Kill-a-Watt in line set to Well you need to take a number of readings.
Amps, Watts What hours and Power factor. On that induction cooktop (Volt amps too if you can)

First: Teaching opportunity (What's the difference between Volt-Amps and Watts? (HINT Power factor) Would be nice to explain using real world data.

Second. The Induction cooktop is faster. OK but how much power is it sucking verses the big spiral shaped resistor? (electric "Burner" Intuitively I think it's sucking less total power. but.. I could be wrong.

I normally boil water in an electric kettle here...

Why do I think the Induction is more efficient than the big resistor?
Mostly because nearly all the heat goes to the pan. actually is generated by the pan. LESS is wasted heating air.. Same with my Electric Kettle. it's a resistor but the resistor i8s INSIDE the pot so it's all there no heating of air save from the water in the pan.

I came across this in another forum think its what you're asking about. Boiling water in the video. I attached talks about boiling water on the induction cooktop up to 500 degrees to boil water in less than 1 a min and 30 seconds pulling 5 watts. I am old so I could be off a bit, I'll post more if interested, but wish I could say it was my work. As I slept in a Hotel and read the book "Kilo Watt, back in 3rd grade, and learned that RV's using a hookup can be 120V, 30 AMP or 50 AMP.

You may want to watch some interesting electrical fun stuff and learn a few fun facts.
CLICK HERE FOR VIDEO

Watts to AMPS.jpg
aaaOIP.jpg

Last edited:
You need a Kill-a-Watt in line set to Well you need to take a number of readings.
Amps, Watts What hours and Power factor. On that induction cooktop (Volt amps too if you can)

First: Teaching opportunity (What's the difference between Volt-Amps and Watts? (HINT Power factor) Would be nice to explain using real world data.

Second. The Induction cooktop is faster. OK but how much power is it sucking verses the big spiral shaped resistor? (electric "Burner" Intuitively I think it's sucking less total power. but.. I could be wrong.

I normally boil water in an electric kettle here...

Why do I think the Induction is more efficient than the big resistor?
Mostly because nearly all the heat goes to the pan. actually is generated by the pan. LESS is wasted heating air.. Same with my Electric Kettle. it's a resistor but the resistor i8s INSIDE the pot so it's all there no heating of air save from the water in the pan.
Most informative thank you! I do have some understanding of Volt-the volume or water behind the dam. The Dam acts as OHM and water running out is the AMPs. Watts to me is like the trees on the banks of the river each pulling what water they each need. I have learned the RUBBER connects off the Lithume to each connection need to be a minimum of 2" of rubber covering each connection and more so in a moving vehicle. But trust me I'm still in the basics of understanding a lot of this as to what needs what. But enjoyed your post. a good read. But take note of the Shrink Wrap around each connection just shows you, how well Coachmen has got it right. Love the van But truly needed to go o a 144WB, But want a MB as well and we found one. But sadly with another up-fitter. I have also learned dealers sadly the few I have come across have no idea how it all works. Most dont' know when you charge 2000 Coachmen you are also putting a charge to your vehicle battery. Oh well
QYXC5962.JPG
TISB6046.JPG

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Timjbodjb
Back
Top Bottom