Oven igniter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
An RV oven is like an RV furnace, 60-70 year old technology, and will remain so, because collectively, we want everything at a low price, and we keep right on buying as long as the visible bling is there.

On 2 other 5th wheels I have had........just went to WM.......and just a barbecue electronic lighter and installed it in the oven....no problems.

cpaulsen said:
On 2 other 5th wheels I have had........just went to WM.......and just a barbecue electronic lighter and installed it in the oven....no problems.

What is WM?  Is it WalMart?

cpaulsen said:

I think we all want more info on this...Maybe some pictures of the install..Sounds like you may be on to something..

I do believe WM is Walmart.

Gizmo said:
It is a PIA.  FYI Furrion has an oven with what I assume is an electric ignition, I have seen them on some of the 5th wheels we have been looking at.  Perhaps check with Furrion and see what they offer.
  We have a Furrion oven in our fiver and it does have electric ignition. We did have trouble with it in the beginning due to a faulty thermocouple, but works great now.  :)

Yes....Walmart. Was just a typical igniter for a barbecue. Had to drill a mounting hole in the panel face next to the knobs.....and run the sensor down into the oven. Very simple. When done.....you just turn the gas on and push the igniter button and the oven lights,

cpaulsen said:
Yes....Walmart. Was just a typical igniter for a barbecue. Had to drill a mounting hole in the panel face next to the knobs.....and run the sensor down into the oven. Very simple. When done.....you just turn the gas on and push the igniter button and the oven lights,

Does it light the pilot light or the oven burner?  I had to light our oven a few minutes ago and had to hold in the knob for about 20 seconds until the pilot finally lit.  Then I had to continue hold the knob in until the pilot light would stay lit. I don't know how that would work with a striker. 

Think it would have to light the pilot.  Your case is one that shows how it may be dangerous.  You would have to hold the knob in til you could get the pilot to light, then hold til the pilot heated the thermocouple and then turn the oven on to get the burner going.
My oven pilot seems to light immediately and the oven will light  right after that.  Probably just different burner/pilot combinations.
A true electronic ignition system, like my home range and gas furnace, would be a much more complex system in order to be safe. That would equate to more expense for the coach builders.
I'm sure new coaches (at least some of them) have the new electronic technology available to the buyer.

I'm losing something here. Why is a barbecue pezio grill lighter more dangerous than a mat h or lighter? It's just a handier ignition source.

I would say, because of the location of the pilot and the burner and the inability to easily "see" what is happening, in the case of the grill lighter.  You have to consider the apptitude of some of the users, as well, I think.
What Rene described as his process is a very good example. The OP has difficulty getting down there to light the pilot/oven, so if he had an igniter installed, he may still have difficulty observing the status of the pilot/oven burner.
It's just the way I see it as a possible problem, that's all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skinldy71
Back
Top Bottom